Is .057 phosphate high?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed me feeding reef roids every 3rd day helped keeping my phosphate levels in check and not bombing out at 0

Feeding 2-3 times a day pellets and every 2nd day is frozen mysis mixture once a day plus pellets. Then on 3rd day reef roids and pellets for fish.. my phosphate levels remain between 0.02 and 0.04.

However if I feed reef roids once a week i can get levels at 0.001 that's 1pbb on my phosphorus checker.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose phyto not reef roids. Every time I’d dose reef roids it always caused some sort of algae or Dino problem!!!!
Dosing phyto lowers no4 and po4 naturally. I was doing it for several months now, just run out of live phyto so now I have to use my not so live phyto and zooplankton every other day. Also Oyster Feast by Ocean Nutrition is good stuff, small fish go crazy over it.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing phyto lowers no4 and po4 naturally. I was doing it for several months now, just run out of live phyto so now I have to use my not so live phyto and zooplankton every other day. Also Oyster Feast by Ocean Nutrition is good stuff, small fish go crazy over it.
Forgot to mention I was dosing live phyto daily, was up to 30-40ml for my 75 gallon.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. How do you get rid of cyana algae
If you have cyano you'd best try and siphon as much of it out, as it's got nutrients locked up in it - namely more phosphates and nitrates. Cyano does some really weird and toxic chemical conversions and it can blanket and kill about anything (it somehow creates ammonia...I forget how, my book shelf is more than a hand reach away!). Usually it's caused by low flow, out of control nutrients (ahem...), poor lighting, etc. Most tanks get it at some point early on (the ugly phase), but the best prevention is good maintenance. Here's some reading on it:

There's also oooooodles of posts on here about people battling cyano. If you want to go nuclear you'd use a product like chemiclean. Good luck!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going down but very slowly. Now it's at .32

If you want to lower phosphates quickly, lanthanum chloride will do the trick.

Be VERY careful when using it though, it does have some serious caveats in some cases. It's generally not a "measure it and dump it" kind of product.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m almost 100% convinced dinos/out of control algae are from amino acid/reef roid type food/trace element dosing.

Dinos are found to become an issue when you have ultra low phosphate (0.00 ish). Trace elements have nothing to do with algae issues. Amino accids are pretty much nitrogen sources and usually algae is not nitrate limited in most reef tanks.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are found to become an issue when you have ultra low phosphate (0.00 ish). Trace elements have nothing to do with algae issues. Amino accids are pretty much nitrogen sources and usually algae is not nitrate limited in most reef tanks.
Not trying to make this a dino thread. I also stand by the theory that "rookie reefers" go bananas with coral foods and dosing and it creates issues. No hate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt should I use for a reef tank? I'm using instant ocean purple bag

Any salt mix is fine as long as you understand what impact it has on alkalinity. Some are high, some low.

Back