Is it a good idea to run 2 heaters simultaneously?

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run 1 heater on my 55 gallon reef. It does a good job but I'm always worried it will fail and I'll come home to a cold tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe I just mentioned this in another thread. I always use two undersized heaters. not so worried about one failing and tank getting too cold that would take some time. if you have a large heater in a 55g though they can malfunction and never turn off and it can get tank temps well into the 80s. If you get two small heaters that can do the job but not powerful enough to get temps up too high(if one malfunctions and stays on for example) I think is best. For me though I would never use any heater than is large enough to heat the whole tank by itself.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on using two undersized heaters. Always best to have some redundancy to prevent problems down the road in case of a malfunction. I use two 200 watt heaters on my 180 and both are hooked up to a controller as an extra failsafe

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on using two undersized heaters. Always best to have some redundancy to prevent problems down the road in case of a malfunction. I use two 200 watt heaters on my 180 and both are hooked up to a controller as an extra failsafe
+2

Redundancy and a greater time to identify a failure before temps drop or increase to the point of endangering livestock - Both on a controller of course.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run 1 heater on my 55 gallon reef. It does a good job but I'm always worried it will fail and I'll come home to a cold tank.

using two heaters will spread the heating over two areas allowing for more even temperature.

And allow heat should one fail off.

Plus double the possibility of a heater sticking on resulting in dangerously elevated temperatures.

my .02

OP
OP
A

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on wattage and brands of heaters if I were to get 2 new ones?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I be +4 to the fail safe and redundancy???? 2 lower watt heaters , I agree.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on wattage and brands of heaters if I were to get 2 new ones?

It is going to depend on air temperature in your house around the tanks to some extent, but in general I would go with two 75watt heaters. I dont have a brand I prefer; with heaters I have always went with the cheap ones (maybe that why I had a couple break and am so worried about them baking my tank :bigsmile: )

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from marinland heaters, I had a visitherm quit working couple weeks ago. It was a 250 watt, replaced it with a 150watt jager that is keepibg the temp better than that 250 any day. Im planning to ryn 2 heaters on my next set up.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe I just mentioned this in another thread. I always use two undersized heaters. not so worried about one failing and tank getting too cold that would take some time. if you have a large heater in a 55g though they can malfunction and never turn off and it can get tank temps well into the 80s. If you get two small heaters that can do the job but not powerful enough to get temps up too high(if one malfunctions and stays on for example) I think is best. For me though I would never use any heater than is large enough to heat the whole tank by itself.

i do the same for my 45 because i had heard of them getting stuck in the on position and turning the tank into a hot spring... also though my house was built in 1920 so theres no central heat and air so i need the extra for the winter

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two as well but have them set at dif temps. the first is set at about 78 and the second is set at 74 this way i feel i have a fail safe bottom temp should there be a problem, but the 2nd heater never really runs so it should extend its life and i always have it on hand should i need to turn it up if there is a temp issue

OP
OP
A

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a controller for the heater, that should shut it off if it is malfunctioning and heating the water too much? Do most tank set-ups use a controller for heaters?

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a controller for the heater, that should shut it off if it is malfunctioning and heating the water too much? Do most tank set-ups use a controller for heaters?

You just set the high temp for the controller to turn the heater off and low temp to turn it on. There are many that don't but should. I think you find that most of the reefers on here that have "been around" use the heater on a controller whether it is a ranco or a multi function like an apex or RK.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back