Is it possible? Trigger Sump swap

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I currently have a trigger 26 emerald sump. It’s awesome, but always seemed a little small for my 90, and the fuge isn’t able to manage nutrients in the system the way I’m looking for. I was considering getting a bigger sump to add more water volume and fuge space to my system. Looking at the Trigger emerald 34 or even 39. My stand is 48x24.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/emerald-sump-39-trigger-systems.html
It sounds good in theory but is this actually possible. My system is hard plumbed, coral including sps is doing good now, I can’t disassemble the stand, if I did swap them I would need no downtime. Essentially I’d like to do it during a water change if that’s even possible.
My stand and all my tank details are in my build thread if anyone wants to take a look to help a fellow reefer out!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hemmdog’s-90gal-mixed-reef.544508/
Thanks again guys

P.s. is adding 5-15 extra gallons of water to the system actually going to make a difference anyways ?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF YOU CANT TAKE DOWN THE TANK OR STAND AND IT LOOKED LIKE YOUR STAND HAD A BACK ON IT HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET THE SUMP OUT AND NEW ONE IN?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF YOU CANT TAKE DOWN THE TANK OR STAND AND IT LOOKED LIKE YOUR STAND HAD A BACK ON IT HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET THE SUMP OUT AND NEW ONE IN?
Yes I know, no need for caps lol. It was easy to angle in there, I could of done a bigger one when I first started. Hence why it’s even crossing my mind as “maybe possible”

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the caps im at work lol. its definitely possible as long as you can get it in there, its actually pretty easy to do also. I had a small sump like that and went to a trigger ruby 36 and love it

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the caps im at work lol. its definitely possible as long as you can get it in there, its actually pretty easy to do also. I had a small sump like that and went to a trigger ruby 36 and love it
Nice nice, did you make a model of the sump dimensions or anything? Or was yours pretty obvious that it would fit?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the back of my stand wasn't enclosed so I could just pull it out and replace it.
Nice. Yea mines not fully enclosed. The back boards are a different material as well, so I’m not sure if structurally it would be fine standing with the tank on it if I removed the back boards while switching them. Seems risky

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g tank and stand, 48 x 24 and I have a sapphire 34 sump, fits no problem, I dont have a center brace in the front of my stand, so it was easy to install, even have space left over to put several sapphire 2.5 lt reservoirs for 2 part dosing in the stand.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g tank and stand, 48 x 24 and I have a sapphire 34 sump, fits not problem, I dont have a center brace in the front of my stand, so it was easy to install, even have space left over to put several sapphire 2.5 lt reservoirs for 2 part dosing in the stand.
Perfect! Awesome, do you like it?

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Yea mines not fully enclosed. The back boards are a different material as well, so I’m not sure if structurally it would be fine standing with the tank on it if I removed the back boards while switching them. Seems risky
my recommendation. don't go for the biggest one you can fit. leave some room in case you want to add reservoirs or ato in the stand

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does a great job, I use the socks for filtration, I have a vertex 180i skimmer, 2 200 watt heaters in it, and i turned the center section into the fuge, all fits fine. I also have a small pump in the fuge area for carbon filtration and plan on putting another pump in the skimmer area for UV.

You can look at my build and see it all, maybe give u some ideas for space.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recommendation. don't go for the biggest one you can fit. leave some room in case you want to add reservoirs or ato in the stand
Yea I already have the trigger 10 gal ato and 3 dosing containers. I’m willing to move the ato res to outside the stand if it will help my tank though.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does a great job, I use the socks for filtration, I have a vertex 180i skimmer, 2 200 watt heaters in it, and i turned the center section into the fuge, all fits fine. I also have a small pump in the fuge area for carbon filtration and plan on putting another pump in the skimmer area for UV.

You can look at my build and see it all, maybe give u some ideas for space.
Awesome, thanks dude !

Back