Is it true that fish die when they go through a security scanner??

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably pertains more to FW fish than SW since I heard this at Walmart but im sure there are LFS out there with security scanners too. The employees at Walmart always tell people when they are buying fish to hold the bags up over the antitheft scanners when going out the door or it kills the fish. I've heard this before and it was brought up recently while talking to someone with a FW tank. They said that they bought several fish from Walmart and they were all dead the next day because they carried them through the scanner. I call bull but I really don't know. If the scanner kills fish I really don't want to walk through there either! :)

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very interesting. Wouldn't buy fish from them anyways, but good to know! Thanks!

Bootstrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna say no, they came through those doors to get in the store. And rf are everywhere

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I say BS too. If someone can try to tell me why this would kill the fish that would be a good start. but most likely when anyone starts to truely think about this situation they cant seem to tell me why it would kill the fish. it is all about taking someones word and instead of thinking about it and figuring it out, they just tell someone else they same story they just heard. I hear a lot of stories about things like this. but it is just people passing on something they heard and not something they really gave any effort into figuring out for them selfs.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna say no, they came through those doors to get in the store. And rf are everywhere

Merchandise (including livestock) do not come in through the same doors to get into the store at wal-mart and do not pass through a security scanner to enter into the store.....

But I still don't buy that the scanners kill fish.... although it probably wouldn't be the craziest thing I ever heard that turned out to be true lol

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once again.. someone please try to explan this to me. try and tell me why it would kill the fish? I walk out of petco all the time with fish and they have the scanners too. I have never had any issue..

But really think about why it would kill fish and not a dog or myself or anyother animals.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no technology reason that a radio wave / magnetic / or any other wave thing would kill fish. Those waves are around us 24/7. I do see reasons persons who buy fish at wallymart would frequently not have the tank at home in a fit condition to keep fish alive 24 hours.

I give reason two 99.99% more credence.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part is there are people out there in the world that believe that! Can't wait to see someone with a bag over their head as they leave walmart....

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean they have come out of hiding, I thought they were all in bunkers until their food runs out. Maybe some of them have run out of food and are going to wallymart to get more, and take it back to their bunkers cause the world ended, unaware that the fact they can buy food at wallymart means the world really didn't end.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The employees standing at the exits yell at people to hold the bags up if they see you going out with fish. Lol

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well, holding them up, will clearly make a world of difference.

If your are twenty five feet tall. Let me put a calculation to that. Let's see decay at the rate of... nope that is still not tall enough. LOL.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well, holding them up, will clearly make a world of difference. <br><br>If your are twenty five feet tall. &nbsp;Let me put a calculation to that. &nbsp;Let's see decay at the rate of... nope that is still not tall enough. LOL.

Fish die when you put them in a tank full of tap water, eight ounces of instant water fixer, 4 ounces of pH balancer, half a box of fish flakes, unwashed glass beads, 25 cubic inches of compressed air per hour, 3 bubble driven tap water cleaned toys, hands with perfume and dish soap on them, and the family cat, all mixed with stress and excitement.

IBEW41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a girl at pets smart told a lady to duck lower because the rays from the detector where up top,I asked do you really believe that she said no but its funny to see how many people will do it

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, what Walmart are you hearing that from? I only ask because, as much as I hate to admit it, I used to actually manage the fish dept at a local Walmart. We never told anyone that.

Not true. The fish come into the store through the loading docks, where there are no security scanners.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local Walmart here in Marshall was the first place I heard it back when I used to keep FW. I had sort of forgot about it and talking to someone about a FW tank they said their fish died because her boyfriend didn't hold them up over the scanner when he bought them. I thought maybe it was the nuts at my Walmart but she got hers in another town.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so silly. If it was strong enough to kill fish then pregnant women wouldnt be allowed to walk thru them (babies etc).

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing no. Wouldn't the fish have to go through scanners at airports when they are shipped? I would guess that would be worse than Walmart security scanners.

Chewiewok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a cashier tell me the same thing with my beta fish I bought walking through the nursery told me I needed to hold the beta fish above the RF security scanners while I'm walking out the door because it will kill the fish. I believe she had any aluminum foil hat underneath her wig too and I couldn't tell which way her eyes were looking so I had to look at her nose because if I looked at one and I she would look at me and it would immediately tool the other way so yeah that just happened

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back