Is my clown goby going to be ok?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my clown goby yesterday, along with a firefish and another clowngoby. They all seem to be fine, and they have all eaten, but this one has not. He has visible damage to his fins, from my LFS. He has hid in the rocks all throughout the day, and has finally been swimming, up until about 15 minutes ago. He looks dead right now, because he hasn't moved for awhile and he is on his side.

Parameters:
Alk: 8.9
Ammonia, nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 10ppm

Please help.

#fishmedic

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn't a fish trying to jump out of the tank, though, or hovering at the surface.

OP, I would suspect either physical damage of some sort, or potentially an issue like cyanide poisoning from capture. Either way, that fish is moribund (dying). I would pull it and euthanize it with clove oil to get the dying over with.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a fish trying to jump out of the tank, though, or hovering at the surface.

OP, I would suspect either physical damage of some sort, or potentially an issue like cyanide poisoning from capture. Either way, that fish is moribund (dying). I would pull it and euthanize it with clove oil to get the dying over with.
Agree. You could let it die peacefully in the tank. You could also bag it and put it in the freezer. All forms of euthanasia are debated. Do what your conscience tells you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This fish is moribund and likely will not eat or swim normal at this point. You can add aeration and hope for the best but expect the worse. There is no meds I can suggest for its recovery

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is moribund and likely will not eat or swim normal at this point. You can add aeration and hope for the best but expect the worse. There is no meds I can suggest for its recovery
Okay, he's getting worse by the second. Whatever he was doing, he went did that thing right into a cave of 2 bristle worms, and the last thing I want is for him to get eaten by bristle worms if he passes tonight, so I got him out, and I am going to put him in the bag I got him in, because my fish store has a 48-hour return policy, where I bring the fish that passed a water sample, and the receipt. I knew he was not well from the beginning, he looked like he had been bullied to a pretty bad extent. I don't have any other spot to put him in, and he can't be in the DT because he got sucked into the filter sock twice now. I believe he will pass in the next hour, as he is belly up in the cup, and only flaps his gills every minute or 2.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay, he's getting worse by the second. Whatever he was doing, he went did that thing right into a cave of 2 bristle worms, and the last thing I want is for him to get eaten by bristle worms if he passes tonight, so I got him out, and I am going to put him in the bag I got him in, because my fish store has a 48-hour return policy, where I bring the fish that passed a water sample, and the receipt. I knew he was not well from the beginning, he looked like he had been bullied to a pretty bad extent. I don't have any other spot to put him in, and he can't be in the DT because he got sucked into the filter sock twice now. I believe he will pass in the next hour, as he is belly up in the cup, and only flaps his gills every minute or 2.
get one that is active, good color and eating Prior to purchase

m3xm3xm3x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m really sorry about your clown goby. I try to keep one a couple of times and just can’t them to do well for more than few weeks at best. So I stopped buying them. I feel they are just not being acquired properly.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanna say I am very sorry for your fish loss :C, Very sorry. Hope the next one u get is better and doesnt die immiedieatly

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really sorry about your clown goby. I try to keep one a couple of times and just can’t them to do well for more than few weeks at best. So I stopped buying them. I feel they are just not being acquired properly.
Sorry to hear. I will not be buying another one, as I already have one in the tank, who is a decent size, and I also don't really want then to mate and destroy some corals. My other one seems to be doing well, and I hope it stays that way.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree. You could let it die peacefully in the tank. You could also bag it and put it in the freezer. All forms of euthanasia are debated. Do what your conscience tells you.
Clove oil is an approved method for use in laboratories. Freezing isn't. Conscience is important, but needs to be backed up with science and data.

They're small fish that hide in crevices and can't be sold for much, so they're likely often caught with cyanide. They also can be difficult to get eating, so they're often not eating at all as they go through the system. Biota periodically has captive-bred ones you could try instead.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove oil is an approved method for use in laboratories. Freezing isn't. Conscience is important, but needs to be backed up with science and data.
We used to have a water quality lab for municipalities in my office. Probably couldn't count the number of fat head minnows that perished in that lab over the years. They weren't euthanized. If the water was poison, it killed them. We closed the lab due to a dwindling client base and turned it into a conference room. I always thought I could feel their tiny little fishy ghosts swimming around the air in that conference room.

We also did a mercury bioaccumulation study on a few hundred Asiatic clams. Caught them in local streams (we had collection permits, but they are invasive so who cares), and them depurated them for a month in the lab. We placed them in cages in the "study body of water".

Otters euthanized all of them... Study was inconclusive.

We were doing science.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back