HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you so so so so much.
You are welcome!!! :)

I would then dose 2.5ml in am/2.5ml in pm for next three days to get to 1.75ppm. Testing daily of course!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle does say 2.5ppm. However the therapeutic minimum is 1.50ppm. Most of us choose to treat at 1.75ppm in order to make sure we are safely above the minimum. 2.5ppm is too high IMO. I would only raise the level that high if I couldn't clear the affliction at 1.75ppm (which has never happened). This should help: (I do need to update this as I am now starting off with predosed QTs at 1.0ppm and increasing .25ppm per day for 3 days)

If I were you I would also predose or administer your initial dose at 1.0ppm then increase the .25ppm per day for 3 days (split into am/pm doses). This will have you therapeutic in 48hrs and to your target within 72.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ratios-for-dosing-copper-power.385871/
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly. ;)

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

@4FordFamily @Big G @HotRocks @Brew12

Time for updates. I hope you haven't forgot me.

It's been 5 days since I started copper. Yesterday I did my first water change matching copper. The fish are doing fantastic at 1.76 ppm. Even my copperband butterfly is eating like crazy (even nori). I've noticed the my blue hippo started to show a slight velvet coat.

Is that okay if I give this guy another ruby rally bath for 90 minutes and then put him back into copper with the other fish?

I'll keep my copper for at least 14 days and see how it goes.

Thanks for everything guys.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great news @johnbr !!! :)

I wouldn't do another bath if he has had one already and copper is therapeutic. Can you upload a pic of the hippo? So we can take a look?

I'd be more concerned about it being a secondary bacterial infection which can happen with velvet.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't do another bath if he has had one already and copper is therapeutic. Can you upload a pic of the hippo? So we can take a look?

I'd be more concerned about it being a secondary bacterial infection which can happen with velvet.

Ok Sir,

Actually I did 10 days of Paraguard (indluding 2x90 min bath + 90 min on rally) so I could be wrong.

I'll take my time and take the best pics I can so you guys can shoot some light.

Thanks for all the help guys.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree velvet reproduces very quickly so it’s highly unlikely in 5 days of therapeutic copper for it to take hold and complete its life cycle

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys sorry for the wait....

@HotRocks @4FordFamily @Big G @Brew12

I was trying to take the best pics. I ended up making a video. Today I had the feeling that the fish were not eating aggressively like yesterday. My blue hippo is still rubbing on the PVC.

Ammonia is still low almost 0, copper is 1.69 ppm

I shot a video just to show you guys the breathing rate and their behavior.

Thanks to all of you.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys sorry for the wait....

@HotRocks @4FordFamily @Big G @Brew12

I was trying to take the best pics. I ended up making a video. Today I had the feeling that the fish were not eating aggressively like yesterday. My blue hippo is still rubbing on the PVC.

Ammonia is still low almost 0, copper is 1.69 ppm

I shot a video just to show you guys the breathing rate and their behavior.

Thanks to all of you.

I can’t see anything useful on my phone at the office but I’ll check it out later as well — almost 0 ammonia and no ammonia are two very different things. It’s like a little bit of arsenic or anthrax. OK that’s dramatic but you get the idea. Minute amounts of ammonia can be and often is fatal. I do giant water changes if my badge is anything other than obviously bright yellow.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see anything useful on my phone at the office but I’ll check it out later as well — almost 0 ammonia and no ammonia are two very different things. It’s like a little bit of arsenic or anthrax. OK that’s dramatic but you get the idea. Minute amounts of ammonia can be and often is fatal. I do giant water changes if my badge is anything other than obviously bright yellow.

I have 2 badges and both are bright yellow. Also I test with redsea’s ammonia kit.

Thank for the help

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don’t see anything obvious either

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Sorry for being so early. Just woke up and like I always do I check my tanks.

My blue tang has this slight velvet coat on top of her skin and my clown is starting to show as well. Even the tang's eye is pale (so weird).

At this point I'm feeling hopeless again. Dude is just so hard to treat fish.

I'm about to setup another tank just for these 2 with rally of formalin (paraguard).

Sorry for bothering you guys so much @4FordFamily @HotRocks @Big G @Brew12 , but honestly I just don't want to loose them.

God bless guys

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank therapeutic with copper? Or are you only using paraguard?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Sorry for being so early. Just woke up and like I always do I check my tanks.

My blue tang has this slight velvet coat on top of her skin and my clown is starting to show as well. Even the tang's eye is pale (so weird).

At this point I'm feeling hopeless again. Dude is just so hard to treat fish.

I'm about to setup another tank just for these 2 with rally of formalin (paraguard).

Sorry for bothering you guys so much @4FordFamily @HotRocks @Big G @Brew12 , but honestly I just don't want to loose them.

God bless guys
No bother at all. Are you setting the tank up for a bath again? If so, I think that would be wise. it could be that the Brook didn't get eliminated.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank therapeutic with copper? Or are you only using paraguard?

Hey rocks,

Just copper. Last Sunday I drained the hole tank and refiled with 30 fresh gallons of water at 1.018 and started the copper.

Is worth to mention that I did Paraguard for just one week. The fish seemed to be good and that's when I saw ich.

I stopped paraguard and started copper. Is that a chance that the velvet/brook came back since I should've run paraguard longer?

Thanks.

Copper is 1.69ppm per Hanna checker.

Exactly just tested today again. The fish are not showing any signs of ich anymore.

I'm so confuse now. But the blue hippo and clown are showing the early stages of brook/velvet again I think.

At least they are eating.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a chance that the velvet/brook came back since I should've run paraguard longer?
After 4 or 5 days in therapeutic copper you should not see any worsening signs of velvet. You may still see signs, but it should be getting better, not worse.
It is possible that you have a return of Brook. Nothing wrong with setting up a bath to treat them and putting them back in the copper if you see symptoms that look bad.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 or 5 days in therapeutic copper you should not see any worsening signs of velvet. You may still see signs, but it should be getting better, not worse.
It is possible that you have a return of Brook. Nothing wrong with setting up a bath to treat them and putting them back in the copper if you see symptoms that look bad.

To better illustrate here’s a few pictures.

998064F3-EA3B-42B9-B254-332D18D44E77.jpeg

5FD12729-9AE0-4BF1-8FDC-A43DEDC8420B.jpeg

63DAA32E-5979-4344-A0C1-D0D0FAC92C31.jpeg

1C064F46-FF1D-485B-BBE6-DDC9AE3A6205.jpeg

I hope that helps.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya, I was getting confused sorry.

I don't see anything that looks like velvet. Are these new spots showing up or just where the fish had spots prior?

I would increase the copper up to 1.75-1.85 to be sure you are high enough.

Like @Brew12 said this could be Brook it could also be a secondary bacterial infection of the entrance wounds.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also possible that what you are seeing is the reaction of the fish to copper. It isn't unusual to see raised bumps on Tangs especially when treated with copper.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back