Is my tank and stand just settling?

Voodoo288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks sorry if this is the wrong place for this post but I have a concern with my Biocube 32 with stand.

So I had the tank and stand in the corner of my apartment for about a month and a half. My 2nd floor apartment is an old converted warehouse with old hard wood floors, they seem sturdy enough though.

The original location was pretty uneven so I moved the tank and stand to another location and this time shimmed every thing to be as level as possible. Composite shims were used under the front feet and the tank is level left to right and front to back. Ever since I moved it though about twice an hour I’m hearing a decent pop coming from the tank/stand area enough for it to draw my attention if I’m nearby (like a knuckle crack). It’s random and not frequent enough to catch it. I’ve checked the stability of the tank and stand and they’re both quite sturdy in this location. Also walking near the tank doesn’t cause any undo motion in the tank as well.

This was all moved last Friday so I reckon the tank would still be settling into this new location. Is this anything I should be concerned about. Also there’s only two clowns and a few hermits but I don’t see them making any of the noises.
F0729BCE-5AA1-4935-9BAF-F587A856DA83.jpeg
A0095596-B986-4B8D-92FC-1814C3E4E334.jpeg
57E0F86C-D170-453A-8498-52C7A4EE1660.jpeg

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you completely empty the tank before you moved it? I had a similar situation with a biocube 14 that I moved, but left a couple inches of water in it. heard a pop/crack that night, and all the water ended up on the floor.
Your tank/stand definitely shouldn't be making any noise. Could the sounds be coming from the floor itself, or any tank inhabitants? is there any consistency to the sounds i.e. only at night, when its warm or cold in the room etc?
I would keep a very close eye on it.

OP
OP
Voodoo288

Voodoo288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you completely empty the tank before you moved it? I had a similar situation with a biocube 14 that I moved, but left a couple inches of water in it. heard a pop/crack that night, and all the water ended up on the floor.
Your tank/stand definitely shouldn't be making any noise. Could the sounds be coming from the floor itself, or any tank inhabitants? is there any consistency to the sounds i.e. only at night, when its warm or cold in the room etc?
I would keep a very close eye on it.
I actually slid the entire thing over from one side of the room to the other, tank and stand stayed together and I slowly worked it over to where it's at now after removing about 50% of the water.

I've been going over the whole thing looking for anything that could compromise it and I still see nothing, it could be the floor definitely but the sound really doesn't sound that low.

I've been keeping quite a close eye today as I'm WFH and it actually hasn't made any noises in a few hours.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 pounds shouldn’t be a problem, that’s just two humans.
Perhaps that wood is real dry and just getting used to the new weight.

If the floor was not strong enough, it would not remain level.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown that loudly bites at the rim of my tank in the evening, I think it's going after pods but the first few times that sound really had me concerned before I figured it out.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the rock? Could there have been a pistol shrimp hitchhiker? I have several in my tank that came in some Florida live rock and they are really loud.

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever heard that popping sound coming from that area in the past? This is my theory, but I notice your tank is near the windows. With the weather changing, bugs are starting to come out again. I say this because, I get certain ones that fly into my windows and a make a sound that catches my attention. The Carpenter (if thats what theyre called) beesa make a distinct sound for sure when they hit the glass.

OP
OP
Voodoo288

Voodoo288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the rock? Could there have been a pistol shrimp hitchhiker? I have several in my tank that came in some Florida live rock and they are really loud.
Have you ever heard that popping sound coming from that area in the past? This is my theory, but I notice your tank is near the windows. With the weather changing, bugs are starting to come out again. I say this because, I get certain ones that fly into my windows and a make a sound that catches my attention. The Carpenter (if thats what theyre called) beesa make a distinct sound for sure when they hit the glass.
LR Came from LFS and I've had it for a few months now, never saw a hitch hiker and no other way to pick up any at this point. Although I think it'd be neat to have a pistol shrimp actually.

I never really paid attention but I was chilling out most of the day around that area and noticed the windows do pop and creak a lot more than I realized. Never saw any bugs hitting but I know what you're talking about too.

All in all the popping noise has definitely subsided as of today. I think as of making this post it's only done it a few times and I'm not even sure if those were coming from the tank. I'm keeping a close eye on it but I really have no idea what could be the cause.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back