Is my Yellow Watchman Goby dying?

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been swimming at the top of the tank for a day and a half. He is not interested in food. He use to allows be out in the open on the sand but for the past month or so he has been hiding and I have hardly seen him. I added a randall's pistol shrimp but haven't seen or heard it since I added it three weeks ago. This is my first tank so I am not sure if he looks healthy or not. He doesn't look thin to me. The tank is a year and a half old. I have had him for at least a year. Tankmates are 2 clownfish and a tailspot blenny and CUC. They all seem fine. I have recently developed quite the aiptasia problem but not sure if that would affect him. I tested for ammonia. Salinity is 1.025. I know other tests are necessary but I assume low alkalinity or magnesium wouldn't hurt a fish. But I can test everything if needed. Everything was within range last week except magnesium was a little low.

20231118_184023.jpg 20231118_181756.jpg

Attachments

• 20231118_182015.mp4
    14.9 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we wait for the #fishmedic to comment, the link below gives suggestions (in the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) of what info you can list here to help the experts diagnose the issue:

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we wait for the #fishmedic to comment, the link below gives suggestions (in the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) of what info you can list here to help the experts diagnose the issue:
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He has been swimming at the top of the tank for a day and a half. He is not interested in food. He use to allows be out in the open on the sand but for the past month or so he has been hiding and I have hardly seen him. I added a randall's pistol shrimp but haven't seen or heard it since I added it three weeks ago. This is my first tank so I am not sure if he looks healthy or not. He doesn't look thin to me. The tank is a year and a half old. I have had him for at least a year. Tankmates are 2 clownfish and a tailspot blenny and CUC. They all seem fine. I have recently developed quite the aiptasia problem but not sure if that would affect him. I tested for ammonia. Salinity is 1.025. I know other tests are necessary but I assume low alkalinity or magnesium wouldn't hurt a fish. But I can test everything if needed. Everything was within range last week except magnesium was a little low.

20231118_184023.jpg 20231118_181756.jpg
Fish is thin and looks like a victim of aggression. Additionally, its on the top of tank rather than sand due to distress.
What was ammonia level and is breathing breathing normal or rapid?
What have you been feeding it?
What are the other tank-mates in tank and how are they doing?

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is thin and looks like a victim of aggression. Additionally, its on the top of tank rather than sand due to distress.
What was ammonia level and is breathing breathing normal or rapid?
What have you been feeding it?
What are the other tank-mates in tank and how are they doing?
Ammonia was 0. His breathing looks normal to me but this is my first tank.
I feed LRS Reef Frenzy.
I have two clownfish and a tailspot blenny. They seem to be doing fine. All the snails, hermit crabs and corals seem to be fine.
He has been in the tank with the clownfish for over a year. I added the tailspot around August 16th. His behavior did change after adding the tailspot but I thought they were compatible? He use to always be out on the sand but started hiding. I was told this was pretty normal. I did add a randall's pistol shrimp two weeks ago but haven't seen or heard him since

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tail and pectoral fins are all chewed up. It looks like something is beating him up.

1700355918874.png
I have two clownfish and a tailspot blenny. Some hermit crabs and snails. I added an emerald crab and a randall's pistol shrimp two weeks ago. What could be beating him up?

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put him in a hospital tank with places to hide so he can rest, destress and get better. And target feed him. He looks pretty beat up poor thing.
I feel so bad but I don't understand what is beating him up?

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have guessed the clowns but I read the thread and the timeline doesn't match up.

Hopefully somebody here has a better idea but this is what I'd do.

Preferred option:
Take him out, put him in a quarantine tank with a place to hide. Feed him and let him recover. When it's time to rejoin the tank, put him in an acclimation box, the rearrange the rocks before releasing him.

Plan B:

Put him in an acclimation box right now. If you don't have one, amazon or your lfs will:

Give him a rock and some sand and he'll get better in there. Rearrange the rocks when it's time to release.

Finally: You might be interested in the time something similar happened to my tomini tang. I took pictures of his healing progression. He's 100% fine now, swimming a few feet away from where I am now.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have guessed the clowns but I read the thread and the timeline doesn't match up.

Preferred option:
Take him out, put him in a quarantine tank with a place to hide. Feed him and let him recover. When it's time to rejoin the tank, put him in an acclimation box, the rearrange the rocks before releasing him.

Plan B:

Put him in an acclimation box right now. If you don't have one, amazon or your lfs will:

Give him a rock and some sand and he'll get better in there. Rearrange the rocks when it's time to release.

Finally: You might be interested in the time something similar happened to my tomini tang. I took pictures of his healing progression. He's 100% fine now, swimming a few feet away from where I am now.

Thank you

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Preferred option:

Plan B:

Do you think the small acclimation box would be big enough? They can deliver it tomorrow by 3 p.m. The other sizes won't be delivered as quickly. Or I can buy a quarantine tank tomorrow if that would be better. Or both?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia was 0. His breathing looks normal to me but this is my first tank.
I feed LRS Reef Frenzy.
I have two clownfish and a tailspot blenny. They seem to be doing fine. All the snails, hermit crabs and corals seem to be fine.
He has been in the tank with the clownfish for over a year. I added the tailspot around August 16th. His behavior did change after adding the tailspot but I thought they were compatible? He use to always be out on the sand but started hiding. I was told this was pretty normal. I did add a randall's pistol shrimp two weeks ago but haven't seen or heard him since
While clowns may be suspect especially if they have paired off, Isolate goby in a tank with a bowl of sand or acclimation box.
How are you testing ammonia?

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While clowns may be suspect especially if they have paired off, Isolate goby in a tank with a bowl of sand or acclimation box.
Salifret and API. I bought the sailfret kit first but have the hardest time seeing any difference in the color so I purchased the API kit a while back also. I initially purchased the clownfish pair "bonded". Don't know if that matters. They acted like a pair at first and even slept together but then just ended up doing there on thing. They have started swimming more together recently. Especially at night they seem to float in the same corner. They use to rest on the rocks in separate places.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of an acclimation box do I need? I have mushroom box but it's only 4 inches long

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens after I put him in the acclimation box and he heals? I think I just saw one of the clownfish nip at him. Will they no longer be aggressive towards him? Rearrange the rock work? Or rehome one or the other?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens after I put him in the acclimation box and he heals? I think I just saw one of the clownfish nip at him. Will they no longer be aggressive towards him? Rearrange the rock work? Or rehome one or the other?
I would rehome him. Or the aggressor, if you’re certain who it is.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I still suspect clowns and one of them may need to go as this aggression may continue after fish heals

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a real risk that the clown will be aggressive again. If you rearrange the rocks you do level the playing field a bit but I'm worried the little goby will be abused again.

Any chance of getting a much bigger tank on black friday? :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back