Is my YWG ok?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he could be scared of you. Is there a place for him to hide in the tank? additionally, what sand do you have and how deep is it? try setting up a video, feeding and then leaving
I use a thin turkey baster to feed him. Almost try for direct feeding. This time I'll shove it in his face. Get all wet lol

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he could be scared of you. Is there a place for him to hide in the tank? additionally, what sand do you have and how deep is it? try setting up a video, feeding and then leaving
He's not scared of me. I direct fed him for 30 days in QT. I posted a video in the original post. Here's another one of him in qt.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not scared of me. I direct fed him for 30 days in QT. I posted a video in the original post. Here's another one of him in qt.

follow my suggestion, I would highly recommend that you at least try it before asserting that its impossible. It would help to nail the issue down.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
follow my suggestion, I would highly recommend that you at least try it before asserting that its impossible. It would help to nail the issue down.
I hid behind some rocks lol, I saw him pick up two pieces that floated by. But now I'm definitely thinking it's my mail clown fish. Cuz when he's not around the Gobi is pretty normal. I'm hoping that when I add the pistol shrimp he will gain some more confidence

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hid behind some rocks lol, I saw him pick up two pieces that floated by. But now I'm definitely thinking it's my mail clown fish. Cuz when he's not around the Gobi is pretty normal. I'm hoping that when I add the pistol shrimp he will gain some more confidence
clowns can be pretty agro.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how large and old is your tank? Im not sure its ready for a mandarin. They mostly eat pods and microfauna.
It's unfortunate too. If he keeps being a jerk, they are going back no matter how attached I am to them. I just bought a mandarin Dragonette and I'm not about to have that guy messed with

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how large and old is your tank? Im not sure its ready for a mandarin. They mostly eat pods and microfauna.
8 months, running without dinos for 5. I culture and sell pods and phyto. I harvest gallons of pods a day of each type tig, apo/apex and tisbe :) I also grow 3 types of phyto nano, tetra, and iso

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months, running without dinos for 5. I culture and sell pods and phyto. I harvest gallons of pods a day of each type tig, apo/apex and tisbe :) I also grow 3 types of phyto nano, tetra, and iso
should be good then. Sorry for the skepticism, I see far too many people going for mandarins with younger, small, basically pod-less tanks and then wondering why they start starving to death, so I like to make sure that people know what they're getting into before going with them.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be good then. Sorry for the skepticism, I see far too many people going for mandarins with younger, small, basically pod-less tanks and then wondering why they start starving to death, so I like to make sure that people know what they're getting into before going with them.
I learned this lesson the hard way before I knew enough. Idk if I'll ever get one tbh; it'd have to be larger. The tiny ones they sell captive bred I feel are just too small; they say they eat pellets but they've only been alive for a few weeks so what's that mean... I may some day as I have a good pod pop now..

Op sounds like theirs will be fat and happy with all those pods they got goin :)

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nononononnoonnoonoooooo don't apologize. These fish don't have voices so you being one for them is a godsend for them. Thank you, honestly. Always be skeptical. People toss massive fish in small tanks or timid fish that are hard to keep with aggressive fish etc all the time just because they are pretty together. So I'm glad you asked. Don't ever stop.

I started phyto for my dino problems because I wanted pods for daily dosing and needed a way to feed them. So I made a grow room and made so much so efficiently and cleanly that I decided to sell it on the side to help maintain the tank and its costs. I sell it cheap too as a service to my local community. Like 11 bucks for a 16oz bottle of phyto. Been selling gallons for 45 each lol. Pods are also pretty cheap $15 for like 4k+ pods. I got so many that if I don't they will be wasted. See video of a harvest for an example. Wasn't trying to be am advert lol, won't say where I am so I don't come across as one, just wanted to share my journey a little. I'm new to reefing and glad I found a hobby I can stick with and continue to enjoy

Attachments

• 20221214_095444.mp4
    49.1 MB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? What size tank? Do you have caves in your tank?
After 2 months I would think it should have found itself a cave to hide in and settled down

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned this lesson the hard way before I knew enough. Idk if I'll ever get one tbh; it'd have to be larger. The tiny ones they sell captive bred I feel are just too small; they say they eat pellets but they've only been alive for a few weeks so what's that mean... I may some day as I have a good pod pop now..

Op sounds like theirs will be fat and happy with all those pods they got goin :)
Man I hope so, I just shared a video of what I dose every other day. I'll put it here too. Mandarin Dragonettes are why I got into the hobby. Don't let pod culturing difficulty fool you, you only need a little bit of phytoplankton but look up the lazy banana peel method. I haven't fed my cultures in over a month. At this point it's basically self-sustainable. Anyone can do it even leaving it outside. Totally worth it

Attachments

• 20221214_095444.mp4
    49.1 MB
OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? What size tank? Do you have caves in your tank?
After 2 months I would think it should have found itself a cave to hide in and settled down
Honestly I think it was just my clown being a jerk. I'm going to be keeping an eye on them and try getting a pistol shrimp

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually cultured them for a bit as well and as well the mandarin had me dazzled when I started. I just think I acted too soon and while the cultures got my tank to where it is today I think the timing was wrong with the fish; has me shook now to get another tbh.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually cultured them for a bit as well and as well the mandarin had me dazzled when I started. I just think I acted too soon and while the cultures got my tank to where it is today I think the timing was wrong with the fish; has me shook now to get another tbh.
You cultured them while having a mandarin? Did the Mandarin just not eat? Or did you get the Mandarin first lose it and then get the culture going?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. How's its tummy look? Should be slightly rounded showing good health. See if you can get it to eat and see how it behaves on a full stomach
I do want to note though, his tummy doesn't look sunken in. So I think he has definitely been eating. I'm 100% going to look for a pistol shrimp. I'll drive an hour if I have to

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a YWG i would recommend a tiger pistol (Reef Cleaners is the invert selling MVP, Id always recommend checking there first if your looking for something)
Honestly I think it was just my clown being a jerk. I'm going to be keeping an eye on them and try getting a pistol shrimp

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back