Is this velvet disease? Pic attached.

804B4BBF-3980-4719-9F8D-008BA79FCCD9.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but if it looks like sloughing skin or mucous I’d say brook. Are these new fish? Did you QT them?

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, these are new. Its my first time keeping saltwater fish. Its a small tank and only these are gonna stay in it so I didnt quarantine. And yes it looks like sloughing skin. What should i do now?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin treatments will work well, although you'll need a Quarantine system for any treatment that will be effective.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a band of redness? I don’t see spots in the pics that looks to me like uronema. Both can be treated with metroplex. Feed metroplex and focus in their food as uronema is an internal disease as well.

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see any band of redness but did noticed some white spots. Pic attached.

10A57C75-B30E-46A3-9E6F-04484A8E751E.jpeg

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the white line near pectoral fin thats something on glass

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started treatment with metro but it died this morning . Feeling heartbroken, it was my ist time with saltwater. Other one is fine and eating, what should I do now, since this tank is already contamintaed. I should have put in DT. Need advise. Thank you.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started treatment with metro but it died this morning . Feeling heartbroken, it was my ist time with saltwater. Other one is fine and eating, what should I do now, since this tank is already contamintaed. I should have put in DT. Need advise. Thank you.

Sorry for your loss but you’ve still got work to do! If one clown had it the other does too. If you can set up a QT and get him in there that would be best. Based on above opinions you have two different treatments needed. Do you have any other pics of the fish that died showing his symptoms? I’m only asking because Brook can die off in your DT by going fallow but Uronema will not and generally require a complete tear down and bleaching. Please post any other pics or symptoms so we can get you going in the right direction. No matter what get a QT set up and get ready to medicate. Here is an article on brook. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

And one on Uronema
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Look through these try to match up what you saw on the clown before death and let us know.

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for ur help. It actually turned red in the middle of white area Yesterday. And today morning there was sloughing mucus ( it was like lots of mucus).

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for ur help. It actually turned red in the middle of white area Yesterday. And today morning there was sloughing mucus ( it was like lots of mucus).

Was the clowns mouth open when he died?

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. He was open mouth. Can I post pic of dead fish?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sore on his side makes me think Uronema unfortunately. I would dose your QT with Copper and Metroplex (double dose strength) and metro laced food for the surviving clown. Your current tank unfortunately will have to be torn down and sterilized because Uronema doesn’t need a host to survive. Get the clown into QT but wait for another opinion on Uronema before tearing your DT apart.
@HotRocks @4FordFamily

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for help, sure i will wait.
Is it possible if I dose whole DT with metro, will that kill uronema?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for help, sure i will wait.
Is it possible if I dose whole DT with metro, will that kill uronema?

The problem is your rock and substrate, if only one parasite(Uronema) survives then it will start all over.

OP
OP
N

Naveed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please tell me how to tore down a saltwater tank or share a link, i mean how to clean out liverock and sand? Or do i need to buy new?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please tell me how to tore down a saltwater tank or share a link, i mean how to clean out liverock and sand? Or do i need to buy new?

Ok, again wait until you get a second opinion before doing this. Every surface that was “wet” will need to be bleached, rinsed, bleached, rinsed, then I wipe down with vinegar and rinse again. I would replace the sand and the rock you could soak in bleach, rinse thoroughly (soaking rinse) and let it completely dry out (2weeks or so). You’ll probably need to rinse the rock numerous times in fresh water (tap is ok) to get the bleach out. Then do an extended drying period. It’s a lot of work to ensure you are Uronema free but it’s worth it. If this was Uronema you unfortunately picked up the worst parasite possible but now you can move forward with understanding why QT is so important. Everyone here will help you with advice whenever you need it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back