Is this all really green coralline algae?

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah circular right? Like this?

IMG_1479074084.368807.jpg
IMG_1479074099.407796.jpg
IMG_1479074122.418375.jpg

This little guy hate it when I'm on the side of the tank. I think this is his spot. Stares me down all the time.

IMG_1479074166.567210.jpg

IMG_1479074175.988385.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I understand @reeferfoxx.

I'm having trouble updating my virus protection on my PC where the pictures are....
Comparing growth patterns from glass to rocks is like comparing apples to oranges. A rock covered in one shade of purple won't show a growth pattern. Unless a new color of coralline is shown, then you might see a pattern. So regardless of green coralline or micro algae, looking for a pattern isn't necessary. None the less, dry rock turns green befor it turns purple.

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure she said she IDed it from it's growth on the glass, but has pictures of the green coralline growing on her rock. So that's not comparing apples to oranges, and I'm sure would be helpful to the OP to compare to the green that he has on his rock. He can compare it to how his initially started on his rock. I have to disagree on the growth pattern on the rocks not helping, my coralline in my tank didn't just show up all at once on the rock. It grew slowly and in patches.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, pictures of the stuff on the rock. I was able to ID it because it was also on the glass.
I'm pretty sure she said she IDed it from it's growth on the glass, but has pictures of the green coralline growing on her rock.
I'm pretty sure I read it correctly.
I have to disagree on the growth pattern on the rocks not helping, my coralline in my tank didn't just show up all at once on the rock. It grew slowly and in patches.
Sorry, what?

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks for trying be cheeky and condescending, but in the English language a comma denotes a pause. Thus meaning that she has pictures of the algae on the rock. If she meant she didn't it would say, "No pictures of the stuff on the rock."

I was saying that showing the growth pattern on the rock may be helpful to the person posting to see if his grew in similarly to hers. When my coralline grew in on my rocks it grew in slowly and had a distinct pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....

I have green "stuff" on my rock.
Originally, I didn't know if it was a green boring algae or green coralline.
Then it jumped onto my glass and I was able to see it was coralline.
I'm going to post pictures of my green coralline on my rock. It's fading, so it won't be around much longer (the new software is scanning my computer. I'll post pics when it's done).

So, no oranges or apples going on.... just pictures of my green rock to compare to USMC's green rock. I'm also looking for pictures of the bright green boring algae I had one time...

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys want pictures of green coralline on a glass just ask. But the comparison IS apples to oranges. Except ya, their both green. Prime example here
CorallineAlgae.jpg

DSC_2288.jpg

Same right?..
I was saying that showing the growth pattern on the rock may be helpful to the person posting to see if his grew in similarly to hers. When my coralline grew in on my rocks it grew in slowly and had a distinct pattern.
All algae start as a small patch. The discussion was coralline vs micro algae.

And the "Pretty sure" statement was just as condescending. AND if that statement was how you translated it, it's an incomplete sentence.

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I wasn't trying to be condescending at all, but to each their own. I understood what Renee was talking about and was just trying to clarify. I have no idea what you're talking about as far as an incomplete sentence, and I honestly don't really care. Not sure who peed in your cornflakes this morning, but try being a little more cheery. It's much less stressful. Have a lovely evening.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I wasn't trying to be condescending at all, but to each their own. I understood what Renee was talking about and was just trying to clarify. I have no idea what you're talking about as far as an incomplete sentence, and I honestly don't really care. Not sure who peed in your cornflakes this morning, but try being a little more cheery. It's much less stressful. Have a lovely evening.
Like wise..

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are totally missing what I am saying. I have no idea what is going on here with the anger, but I won't play along.

Back to the topic....
USMC, do you understand what I'm saying? I'll post pictures of my ROCK as soon as my computer is done. My rock has green coralline, so let's see if it looks anything like yours.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what is going on here with the anger, but I won't play along.
There was no issue. Then there was...I just don't understand why ID'ing this guys rocks as coralline is causing such an issue.
The tank is 4 months old. Despite coralline or micro algae, the rock is suppose to turn green eventually. If not, there are other issues. So throwing this thread into a debate is ridiculous.

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are totally missing what I am saying. I have no idea what is going on here with the anger, but I won't play along.

Back to the topic....
USMC, do you understand what I'm saying? I'll post pictures of my ROCK as soon as my computer is done. My rock has green coralline, so let's see if it looks anything like yours.

Yeah I do. I don't think I have that kinda green coralline. I think I have plain algae. I'll post more pics so I can get opinions.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I have a feeling that's not what yours is. I wouldn't be worried though, as boring microalgae can be just another normal transitional phase.

My software keeps saying "Update in progress...", but I'm starting to think it's lying. LOL!

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after thoroughly examining my rock, glass and tank components, the only green coralline that resembles your green coralline is this. Located on the floor of my return pump section in my sump.

IMG_1479080490.810856.jpg

All the other "green stuff" would appear to be hard algae.

IMG_1479080675.051865.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small rock/piece of rubble that has it, maybe take it out of the water for an hour. Coralline doesn't like to be out of the water for very long and usually you can see it lighten or even turn white.

Mine is receding, but you can tell it doesn't have the texture yours has. I believe yours is just boring film algae... boring as in digging into, not boring *yawn*.

I actually had the pink first. The green has been there maybe 8 months and the tank is 6 years old. It's been a battle of the wills in there, with sometimes the green winning and sometimes the pink winning. My lighting schedule makes a difference as to who is currently in the lead. Pink likes the light, so it's currently winning.

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back