Is this an internal parasite ?

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Is this a internal parasite or infection?

I have another that is not eating.

20180302_181904.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With prazi you would have to treat the entire tank.

The most effective way to treat internal parasites though is to soak food with antibiotics.

Prazi generally doesn’t harm anemones, though they may retract and will likely appear stressed. You’ll have to watch closely and if it detaches then you should run carbon and do a water change.

The concern with prazi would be worms including bristles, sometimes it may kill them which could cause water quality issues. In addition you may need to treat several times so best option would be a HT.

Any chance you are able to isolate the fish and treat? Good luck!

For more info: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro treats flukes and "some" internal parasites. Best to treat with metro, it kills"all" internal parasites. API's General Cure, a powder, treats both it contains praziquantel and metro. Best done in a Qt. Add some extra aeration in the form of a bubble foam filter and a powerhead aimed up to break the surface tension of the water and increase oxygen exchange.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro in some frozen food, with some focus. Spot feed to the fish just enough for them to eat and no waste, with all pumps off. Need to treat all fish.

So this can be done in tank. I have with good results.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of the fish should go into QT and be treated ?

If you're using either Metroplex or API General Cure with Focus, in food, then you can leave the fish in your main display, as Flippers4Pups noted. If you want to try to treat with Metroplex in the water, then fish should be removed to QT.

Fish eat fish poop, so any one or all could have the parasites.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Just to add; mix a tiny bit of Epsom salt into the metro/focus soaked food to help flush any dead worms out of his intestines. So they're not just rotting inside of him.

That's an update I need to make to the sticky.

OP
OP
William Norman

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick followup. Cant find Focus in any of the stores. I will have to order. Can I start treating with API General Cure in food for my DT prior to getting focus ?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick followup. Cant find Focus in any of the stores. I will have to order. Can I start treating with API General Cure in food for my DT prior to getting focus ?

It will just disperse into the water column without the focus.

GC is a somewhat coarse powder that when dispersing into a QT, you can just dump it in but lots of granules will settle onto the bottom of the tank. So the best way to disperse it into a QT is to use a brine shrimp type net. Pour the powder into the net. Lower the net about halfway into the water and then massage the net which then "expresses" the powder out into the water much more efficiently. Some granules will remain in the net. Massage again and then invert the net dispensing the remainder into the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back