Is this BJD or am I just being scared

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got this hammer like 2 days ago clumsy me It was like quintuple bagged so when i was pulling it out one of the branches caught the bag and I dropped it. What are your guys thoughts if it is BJD cut it off and throw it away or try and save it?

FB7BFC27-CDDD-489F-9A79-78AB3B2C0FA0.jpeg C2BC3C51-4AD8-4FCA-A2DA-0D68F1DF956C.jpeg 82E736E1-D6F7-4FC9-A561-BB90BB150D1F.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how many other LPS are in the tank? Looks like it got damaged in transport, possibly, and I would cut that head off now and order cipro incase you need to knock back an infection.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got this hammer like 2 days ago clumsy me It was like quintuple bagged so when i was pulling it out one of the branches caught the bag and I dropped it. What are your guys thoughts if it is BJD cut it off and throw it away or try and save it?

FB7BFC27-CDDD-489F-9A79-78AB3B2C0FA0.jpeg C2BC3C51-4AD8-4FCA-A2DA-0D68F1DF956C.jpeg 82E736E1-D6F7-4FC9-A561-BB90BB150D1F.jpeg
Since it's on the edge of the colony and will be easy to frag, id probably cut it off regardless and if it doesn't seem to be BJD (brown mucus, horrible smell), do an iodine dip and put it in a lower flow/ lower light spot to see if it recovers. If it does, you can have 2 colonies ;)

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how many other LPS are in the tank? Looks like it got damaged in transport, possibly, and I would cut that head off now and order cipro incase you need to knock back an infection.
There are 7 other lps in the tank

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's on the edge of the colony and will be easy to frag, id probably cut it off regardless and if it doesn't seem to be BJD (brown mucus, horrible smell), do an iodine dip and put it in a lower flow/ lower light spot to see if it recovers. If it does, you can have 2 colonies ;)
Ok thank you also when i cut the head off ill reply with a very close up picture just incase

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First though, can you answer my question about the appearance of what's on the damaged head?
It may just be retracted and in that case another option is to leave it and iodine dip the whole colony.

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be retracted and in that case another option is to leave it and iodine dip the whole colony.
After cutting the head off think it’s definitely BJD it smelled terrible as soon as i took it out of the fishtank. But i have another question for you. After further inspection this other head on the colony is split in half. No signs of BJD the head is just cracked in half what are tour thoughts on this

Attachments

• 7F9270B4-6A75-46BA-8300-4F43327C3A5F.jpeg
    7F9270B4-6A75-46BA-8300-4F43327C3A5F.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 30

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cutting the head off think it’s definitely BJD it smelled terrible as soon as i took it out of the fishtank. But i have another question for you. After further inspection this other head on the colony is split in half. No signs of BJD the head is just cracked in half what are tour thoughts on this
Yeah, that smell is unmistakable!
I can't really see the split in the photo. Can you get a pic under whites, or even out of the tank?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are some arent i still have yet to see some dead polyps i also have rotated the coral so its in low flow. Should i be feeding that head for a faster recovery?
No. Target feeding coral is rarely necessary... If you have enough fish poop and feed the fish well (so there's some extra food in the water), most coral will get all their "food" from that and light (not looking at alk, cal, mg). It takes a lot of energy for a coral (or anemone) to eat foods we put in the tank and if it's already stressed, you don't want to add to this.

* there's usually nothing wrong with specifically feeding coral, it's just not normally required; at times can be harmful like when fish/crabs/shrimp "steal" the food and potentially irritate/damage the coral in the process.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are some arent i still have yet to see some dead polyps i also have rotated the coral so its in low flow. Should i be feeding that head for a faster recovery?
If anything, an iodine dip can help prevent infection. I would not do anything else.

OP
OP
A

Afreed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything, an iodine dip can help prevent infection. I would not do anything else.
Do you know where i could get iodine drops. Does petco have them, also i dont know if you’ll be awake at 7 pm EST but i will be replying to your post with a better view of this fractured hammer head.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where i could get iodine drops. Does petco have them, also i dont know if you’ll be awake at 7 pm EST but i will be replying to your post with a better view of this fractured hammer head.
I'll be awake, that's only 6pm here ;)
You can use drug store /grocery store iodine - it's actually povidone-iodide.
Add a few drops to a container of saltwater (preferably tank water since it will be the correct temp) until it's the color of strong tea, then dip/bathe for up to 30 minutes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back