Is this coralline grownth?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear this time it has to be coralline, it's pink in very small dots spreading fast, now today I noticed green spots on the coral
20240319_160952.jpg
its really hard to see, my camera can't capture that

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my bet, as it looks like you've got some on the rock in the back (unless that's Caribsea Liferock).

Hard to tell totally though. How old is the tank? Parameters?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my bet, as it looks like you've got some on the rock in the back (unless that's Caribsea Liferock).

Hard to tell totally though. How old is the tank? Parameters?
True, Caribbean rock in the back but I got scammed it's half painted, the tank is almost 3 months old and the parameters are long to list, check my lastest post

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear this time it has to be coralline, it's pink in very small dots spreading fast, now today I noticed green spots on the coral
20240319_160952.jpg
Highly doubt it… it will first appear on plastic such as power heads and overflows way before rocks…

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240319_160952.jpg
I agree with Troy, in that it's almost always been on plastic or glass for me first.
Also, for white rocks like that, it usually goes through other color algae stages first before coraline will start to come out. Be prepared for brown, and green before any pink.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh?? I thought it was rocks first, it was always on rocks for me I only get cyano on plastic
Sure if you buy rocks with it… if it’s an all new tank you gotta seed it some how with scrapings off a frag plug or snail etc.. it will always show up on plastic first. The bottles of spores is snake oil

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Troy, in that it's almost always been on plastic or glass for me first.
Also, for white rocks like that, it usually goes through other color algae stages first before coraline will start to come out. Be prepared for brown, and green before any pink.
what??? I thought coralline on plastic and glass was challenging, by the way this rock has already been through brown algae and white

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what??? I thought coralline on plastic and glass was challenging, by the way this rock has already been through brown algae and white
I find that hard to believe by looking at it. It doesn't go back to white like that again after it truly ages through the algae stages. But, you know first hand!

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that hard to believe by looking at it. It doesn't go back to white like that again after it truly ages through the algae stages. But, you know first hand!
Remember, my camera is like that, on human eyes the rock is all dirty

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240319_180414.jpg
how it actually looks, so there you can see more coralline and this yellow spot, and a lot of algae

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got some time to go at 3 months! Those colors are indicative of living creatures in your tank. Be patient and enjoy watching the spots grow and shrink and change. The first time you see a spot on the front glass is VERY exciting in your first tank in the hobby (assuming this is your first tank due to current excitement)

This rock has been in my tank for about 2.5 years and started as dry white rock like yours

Setup (Aug 2021)
20210806_152449.jpg

Today (March 2024)
20240319_134313.jpg 20240319_134738.jpg

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got some time to go at 3 months! Those colors are indicative of living creatures in your tank. Be patient and enjoy watching the spots grow and shrink and change. The first time you see a spot on the front glass is VERY exciting in your first tank in the hobby (assuming this is your first tank due to current excitement)

This rock has been in my tank for about 2.5 years and started as dry white rock like yours

Setup (Aug 2021)
20210806_152449.jpg

Today (March 2024)
20240319_134313.jpg 20240319_134738.jpg
I can't wait until my tank will look like that, being impatient over random magenta spots sounds crazy, I wonder why do people hate coralline I wish I had enough to buy an urchin

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait until my tank will look like that, being impatient over random magenta spots sounds crazy, I wonder why do people hate coralline I wish I had enough to buy an urchin
Be careful what you wish for! As fun as urchins are, they are utilitarian and can be little jerks when it comes to rearranging frags. I've had mine rip frag plugs out of the puddy on my rock!

I took this at the same time as my last post. If you look closely just below and to the right of the urchin is a puddy base where the urchin ripped up a frag plug.

20240319_134718.jpg

In all seriousness, coralline algae can be a menace to pumps. The images of my pumps shows how it can encrust on everything around the pump and impede flow and bind up moving parts.

It seems you have a lot of excitement and passion already. Just keep PATIENT!! The hobby has great rewards for patience and the opposite for rash/knee jerk reactions :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back