OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plus side of things for the 180, I got the nitrates under control and the cyanobacteria has disappeared and it appears that my sand bed has come back to life. I've had no deaths of any Coral or fish other than my Fairy Wrasse that jumped out of the 45. I also discovered a bird's nest growing that I thought I lost and some pocillopora beginning to grow on a rock. To me that is a good sign yet the tank is suffering at the same time. I've got either hair algae or bryopsis. And I'm going to treat that was some fluconazole when I get back. I had hoped to be able to dose it before I left and then do the clean up and water changes when I got back but it's not going to arrive in time. With any luck I might get my daughter to treat it when it arrives. I'm very torn about what to do about the aptasia though. If I put peppermint shrimp in there I would have to put quite a lot and I think my rasses would kill them off pretty quickly. My other thought is if I purchase a couple hundred dollars worth of berghia nudibranches I might be in the same boat as the peppermint shrimp. I wish I could catch those two Devil's in my tank! It would make my life a bit easier LOL

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie,
Sorry that you got hurt and your so busy with the baby and life's other curve balls... ;Blackeye

The 180 is your call on a tear down and will follow your lead.

Still the most beautiful 180 on Reef 2 Reef :)

Freddie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie,
Sorry that you got hurt and your so busy with the baby and life's other curve balls... ;Blackeye

The 180 is your call on a tear down and will follow your lead.

Still the most beautiful 180 on Reef 2 Reef :)

Freddie
Thank you Freddie :D

I dislocated and tore a tendon in my thumb and tore a ligament and did some muscle damage on the inside of the elbow on the right arm. Mostly these things cause me an issue with lifting in certain ways. But I woke up this morning and my thumb was completely separated at the joint and I touched it and it popped back in LOL freaky stuff!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Freddie :D

I dislocated and tore a tendon in my thumb and tore a ligament and did some muscle damage on the inside of the elbow on the right arm. Mostly these things cause me an issue with lifting in certain ways. But I woke up this morning and my thumb was completely separated at the joint and I touched it and it popped back in LOL freaky stuff!

What's the doctor say about it?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the doctor say about it?
Well there isn't a lot that can be done without surgery for either but I am not doing the surgery. They said the same thing about my ankle and yes it is still bad but you know what they say, don't use it lose it and it's true. I feel like it'll get better in time.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, sorry to hear about all the troubles. Well hopefully you will heal up and be back up in no time.

As for the tank, seeing corals growing is always a positive. The aptasia what I would recommend doing is gutting it of all rock and coral and essentially start over. Either cook the rock you have currently or get all new rock. It's a pain but ultimately it will be the easiest course to take.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, sorry to hear about all the troubles. Well hopefully you will heal up and be back up in no time.

As for the tank, seeing corals growing is always a positive. The aptasia what I would recommend doing is gutting it of all rock and coral and essentially start over. Either cook the rock you have currently or get all new rock. It's a pain but ultimately it will be the easiest course to take.
Thank you George, I'll be fine :D

You gave me an idea just now! I could pull all of the Rock and coral and put them in my emergency trash cans and put some light over the cans and filters for a few weeks and add the nudibranches that way... and then when they're ready to go back in the DT I can get away with adding more fish at the same time ;) since that will be the only way the powder blue will put up with new tank mates haha! So now I have three options LOL. Since I can't do any of this before I leave it'll give me time to think about it and make a decision before I get back. The nudis did a truly fantastic job in my other two tanks in under 3 weeks and believe me they were loaded

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you George, I'll be fine :D

You gave me an idea just now! I could pull all of the Rock and coral and put them in my emergency trash cans and put some light over the cans and filters for a few weeks and add the nudibranches that way... and then when they're ready to go back in the DT I can get away with adding more fish at the same time ;) since that will be the only way the powder blue will put up with new tank mates haha! So now I have three options LOL. Since I can't do any of this before I leave it'll give me time to think about it and make a decision before I get back. The nudis did a truly fantastic job in my other two tanks in under 3 weeks and believe me they were loaded

Brainstorming, that's what we do best hahaha

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense... instead of taking care of 3 tanks, just one big one! ;Nailbiting
True but the 45g is it totally different animal than the rest. It's a seahorse tank and the temperature can't be over 74 degrees max. I keep it at 72°. Plus other parameters are different as well for the survival of the seahorse. It is a very slow and docile tank. I've been considering selling the 45, 29 and 20 long tanks... life would be easier LOL

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you tou attack the aptasia? And were you sucessful
The berghia nudibranches killed all the aptasia in the 29 gallon and the 45 gallon tanks very quickly. However since I have a 6 line and a yellow Cori's wrasse in my 180 they ate them before they could do much good. At this point I'm going to need to break down my tank as it is now a major infestation :(

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia nudibranches killed all the aptasia in the 29 gallon and the 45 gallon tanks very quickly. However since I have a 6 line and a yellow Cori's wrasse in my 180 they ate them before they could do much good. At this point I'm going to need to break down my tank as it is now a major infestation :(
Thanks for the info...
I also have a 180 just filled this year and have been adding corals recently. And I have noticed and either removed by cutting the rock or glued them in its hole 5 aptasia.
I can not see any at this time but there no tellling whats around back. I don't have any wrasses. Would you recommend peppermint shrimp or just go straight to nudis?

This was supposed to be a pest free start!
Thanks Ryan

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info...
I also have a 180 just filled this year and have been adding corals recently. And I have noticed and either removed by cutting the rock or glued them in its hole 5 aptasia.
I can not see any at this time but there no tellling whats around back. I don't have any wrasses. Would you recommend peppermint shrimp or just go straight to nudis?

This was supposed to be a pest free start!
Thanks Ryan
As was mine. Then I saw 2 after a year, and it stayed that way ( although I tried to Super Glue them several times but they just came back) until the power outage almost a year ago crashed my tank. I think it's possible it put them in survival mode and they spawned.

If you don't have any predators, which a wrasse is a natural predator, I would go straight to the nudis. I have tried peppermint shrimp and they are also hit or miss. I cannot tell you what kind of wonderful job the nudis did on my other two tanks. Give them a week or two to settle in and populate and you're going to be amazed at how fast they wipe them out. Quite expensive but well worth it.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was mine. Then I saw 2 after a year, and it stayed that way ( although I tried to Super Glue them several times but they just came back) until the power outage almost a year ago crashed my tank. I think it's possible it put them in survival mode and they spawned.

If you don't have any predators, which a wrasse is a natural predator, I would go straight to the nudis. I have tried peppermint shrimp and they are also hit or miss. I cannot tell you what kind of wonderful job the nudis did on my other two tanks. Give them a week or two to settle in and populate and you're going to be amazed at how fast they wipe them out. Quite expensive but well worth it.
Thank any recommendations on how many

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back