OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have any predators I would order 10 of the medium size what will run you about $100 or you can even double that. It'll just take them a little longer to get going for the smaller size and initial quantity. They won't appear to be doing anything at all at first and then all of a sudden you're going to see them everywhere. When you get them, put them in at night in low-flow area.
Thank any recommendations on how many

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have any predators I would order 10 of the medium size what will run you about $100 or you can even double that. It'll just take them a little longer to get going for the smaller size and initial quantity. They won't appear to be doing anything at all at first and then all of a sudden you're going to see them everywhere. When you get them, put them in at night in low-flow area.
Thank you for the directions Ill be looking in to them.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Freddy I was going to message you tonight... Yeah I'm fine just extremely busy all the time lately. Working on the house working on a sewing room and dealing with my granddaughter 5 days a week is exhausting lol.

I really need to spend a good week just in cleaning and getting the tanks up to par the way they're supposed to be, mostly the 180. So if I do at least a semi breakdown that will be very helpful but I have to be able to do it uninterrupted....

I have been trying to get onto the Forum and play catch-up but it's been very difficult. I do try to answer people's questions if I'm tagged or quoted as much as possible though.

I hope that you are doing well and your tank is also doing well [emoji847]

Jackie
Jackie,
I Hope that you have been doing well!!

Freddie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome [emoji4] take a look at this picture. This is the 29 gallon the first day I saw them everywhere. They are super super tiny when they first come out to look for food like little specks. But they get into the base of the aptasia and start eating it from the base up.
Thank you for the directions Ill be looking in to them.
All the little white specks around the return are babies.
1c90986f6d453d6d64de7cee5021ce74.jpg
522369f53beb56e97c418a4e7da9a0c3.jpg
a087960e530ff2be0a2678f1760d25b5.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, nice to have you following :D

It's going to be at least a couple of months realistically because I have to make some more rock to replace all of the rock that I'm going to toss due to the Aptasia and some other nuisance corals. It'll take about a week and a half to make all the rock I need and approximately four to six weeks for it to be ready to use. Once it's ready that's when I'm going to do it :D Once I start making the rock I will update this thread to let everybody know and show how I'm doing the new rock. LOL
Looking forward to following the 180 reboot!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just now took these pictures... It's what the tank looks like now :( The last picture is of aptasia and it looks like that everywhere you look... Ugh
37d9422fb5d28063c44116ee8d43172b.jpg
151a4120fda2be7a006ac1b283054a5a.jpg
9d2dc89f15dc614304f1bce61c57960d.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember shutting down a 38 gallon Oceanic Systems tank around ~2002 because I was lost the tank to aiptasia and bubble algae. The reboot will be great. You said you're making new rock, if you're looking for inspiration I really enjoyed browsing this ceramic rock makers site.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :D It's been a bad year for this tank. It started with the crash and it was doing fantastic, better than ever... and it's been downhill ever since. The aptasia is just the icing on the cake unfortunately. I'm extremely depressed over losing all of my acro's as that is the reason I have this tank in the first place. So adding insult to injury hasn't helped me have any enthusiasm to getting it Rebooted. I made the return and overflow columns as well as 90% of the rock that is currently in the tank myself. I do have a game plan as to how I want to Aquascape it next [emoji12] At the moment it is a matter of finding the time to start it.

It's definitely going to be a trick to reboot this tank due to its size. I have a lot of fish that I will have to rehome temporarily until it Cycles. I have done this before using trash cans but never as long as it's going to take before I can put them back in the tank safely. But possibly as long as I don't touch the sand bed and cycle my new rock before switching it all out I might be able to cut that down to one weekend.
I remember shutting down a 38 gallon Oceanic Systems tank around ~2002 because I was lost the tank to aiptasia and bubble algae. The reboot will be great. You said you're making new rock, if you're looking for inspiration I really enjoyed browsing this ceramic rock makers site.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jackie, I wanted to ask you if you had any more detailed instructions on how to build the skin to your 180 peninsula stand? I think you mentioned way back around post 22 you had instructions on the web somewhere and I was wondering if they are still there somewhere?

I am absolutely in love with your design and want to replicate it on my 180 gallon tank. I have been living with the bare 2 x 6 stand for a year now and have been looking for quite a while for a design for the skin that I liked. It was easy finding designs for the stand but hardly anyone has a nice skin that they built themselves and documented. So thank you for that.

I am trying to figure it out from the photos you shared in the beginning of this thread but would really appreciate if there was another source you have for more detail on how to do it especially on the columns.

Thanks, Diane.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols @Janci @hybridazn @justingraham and everyone else

Hi guys, sorry I have been WAY off the grid for awhile now. :( I had 8 months of remodeling my dads house and am now working doing the same with my own. I haven't had time for my tank or anything else for that matter. Boy does my tank look bad! I have just added a ton of cuc to it but there is so, so much aptasia.... I will be yanking much of my rock from the tank in an attempt to catch my wrasses and place them in the 29g. (I sold the 45-just too much to deal with). Then I will contact Ryan for berghia. The 180 is in real dyer straights for sure, I have NEVER had a tank this bad off but it is mostly my fault becuase of being too busy and deeply depressed over losing all my coral, I didn't even care to go near it. It's amazing most of my fish are still alive to be honest. It took the death of my naso to push me into doing something. :(:(:(

Honestly I don't know if I am going to comepletely bounce back but I am trying, it's just going to be slowly at least until the aptasia are gone and I can then begin making rock once the exterior work on my house is completed. It's getting a full makeover complete with new windows, roof and rear porch. My kitchen and master bath are too but those are inside jobs and will be done once rainy season starts. The aptasia should be history by then and I can work on the tank at the same time.

Hope you are all doing well and that your tanks are as well :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I have to babysit my dad because my stepmom is going to be at some sort of Elvis thing for a few hours and she never gets out. He doesn't know I'm babysitting so I'm going to be working on his bathroom. I have to seal the shower grout and put a second coat on his trim and door. Once that is done I am out of their house. It's really been a long time coming!

Tomorrow I will be working on the 180 all day. I'm going to start with cleaning up the sump as much as possible. Remove a bunch of LR and add the difference in saltwater back to the tank. Then I will start more water for a water change.

I've been thinking... I still have my 20 long system which is not currently running. I might fill it with salt water and put all of that live rock in that tank. So when I get the nudibranches I might add some to that tank and let them take care of that rock so it's not a total loss. Then again I'm not so sure I trust that the aptasia will not come back. I did have a few return in the 45. But it took nearly a year! So far none have returned to the 29g. Thoughts?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back