Japanese PAR meter

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I checked the Japanese aquarium social media such as X and FB. I found an interesting PAR meter. It looks this can be a replacement of Apogee PAR meter, so I gave a try for the par meter sold by Japanese company.

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 9.51.18 AM.png

This is waterproof device, so you can use it in the water. However, it does not correct the value in the water like Apogree SQ-510, but you can calculate it easily I believe.
It comes with a sensor wand as a default, so it is nice.
Based on the company's claim, this product is compared with the Licor which is the Lab level PAR equipment. See the test result from the company below.

1709656781730.png

1709656793419.png

Anyway, if you have any questions, I will answer as much as I can. I will play it more.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you send a purchase link? For some reason I am unable to click on the amazon logo you posted.

This looks like something for @telegraham, lol

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sensors dont properly "test" blue led colors. Their charts even show "white led". May not be a good replacement. I am not that "up" on technology but when I was researching before I came back I did read of issues with some par sensors and different leds.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the listings specs.

Wavelength range is 400-700 nm, +-10 nm. I'm not sure if that 10 nm margin of error is unit to unit, or measurement to measurement on the same unit.

It's response to different wavelengths is not equal, nor does it differ linearly.

It's not as receptive to blue closer to 400 nm as it is to most other wavelengths in it's range. It may under account for blue by up to 20%.

It's slightly more receptive to about 460-540 nm than anything else.

At about 680 nm, it's responsiveness starts to drop, then falls off a cliff by the time it gets to 700 nm.

I'd give it a whirl to get a usable figure for a typical black box or other led strip when I want to compare different heights of the same light above the water.

I wouldn't use it to compare lights though.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, if you have any questions, I will answer as much as I can. I will play it more.

I hope that you have been able to get reefing again. I have an Apogee 510 if you ever want to borrow it to compare - it sits on the shelf all but like 20 minutes a year.

OP
OP
T

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that you have been able to get reefing again. I have an Apogee 510 if you ever want to borrow it to compare - it sits on the shelf all but like 20 minutes a year.
I have an Apogee 510, so I just need to find a time to compare. lol.
anyway, thank you for your offering!

OP
OP
T

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why pay $248 and have to wait several weeks when you can pay $172 and have it this week? https://a.co/d/4BCL3su
It is also the same thing to the Apogee product. I think it depends what you trust. Apogee is well-known company, so many people trust them and buy their products even if they are expensive.
Other companies may not be reliable enough. Based on the data from the SAFF Design, I have little bit more confident than the one from Amazon you shared.

OP
OP
T

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the VBR-Aqua when I saw it in your post, but it seems to read low compared to the apogee I rented from brs a few months earlier. So I was interested to see how this one tested out.
I am curious how much are differences between VBR-Aqua and Apogee? If the VBR-Aqua does not have correction for measuring in the water, it would be lower than the Apogee SQ-510.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm speaking from personal experience here, so no speculation required. I own one VBR (paid full price) and have used a second (sent by another reefer) for comparison. If the VBR has a more opaque sensor, use a 1.17X multiplier. If the VBR has a more clear sensor it requires no multiplier. The readings are within single-digit percentages of the 500 series Apogee in the tank.

The immersion multiplier mentioned above is baked into the VBR meter. If using out of the tank, you'll have to determine your own de-immersion value.

Bard_Generated_Image.JPG

Edited to mention in-tank testing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

takayan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm speaking from personal experience here, so no speculation required. I own one VBR (paid full price) and have used a second (sent by another reefer) for comparison. If the VBR has a more opaque sensor, use a 1.17X multiplier. If the VBR has a more clear sensor it requires no multiplier. The readings are within single-digit percentages of the 500 series Apogee in the tank.

The immersion multiplier mentioned above is baked into the VBR meter. If using out of the tank, you'll have to determine your own de-immersion value.

Bard_Generated_Image.JPG

Edited to mention in-tank testing.
Wow the single digit diff is pretty good!
What kinds of lights did you use for the testing?

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two GHL Mitras with a single ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro between them. I captured the spectrum with a UPRtek MK350S Premium and uploaded that data to Apogee's spectral correction tool. From that, I had the error I should expect from my 500 series Apogee (essentially making sure it's correct per Apogee's guidance). I placed the meters' sensors at the same location and with the sensor face at the same elevation as marked on the tank's glass. Readings were taken with flow off and as still of a surface as possible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back