Japanese PAR meter

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham
I just wanted to thank you for the review and testing you did on the VBR-Aqua. I just purchased one based on your test. Mine arrived last night and I just did a one location test this morning and I was in total shock of what I observed. For the past few years it looks like I have been starving my corals of light which explains a lot on why a lot of my LPS corals look like crap ( polyp extension, color etc ). A while ago I got rid of the 5 or so SPS I had and went strictly LPS and Softies due to I was not seeing good color, growth or polyp extension on the SPS. The wife thought they were ugly lol. In the past I was using the Seneye Reef ( which I just threw in the trash ). I also rented the Apogee 500 series from BRS a while ago and it was broke so I never was able to do a verification of the Seneye Reef's accuracy ( my fault ). The area I just measured, ( 9" ) down from the water surface which is the tallest point on my rockscape only read 82 par on the VBR and read 252 par on the Seneye Reef. You talking more than 3X difference.
For what it's worth, I have 4 Mitras 7602's on my 84x30x24 tank. I will be changing my light settings and going into acclimation mode for a few months after I figure out what the PAR values throughout the tank I need for the corals I have and the ones I plan on getting. I made a list of optimal PAR values for different species of corals last night after doing some research. I have some work to do.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@telegraham
I just wanted to thank you for the review and testing you did on the VBR-Aqua. I just purchased one based on your test. Mine arrived last night and I just did a one location test this morning and I was in total shock of what I observed. For the past few years it looks like I have been starving my corals of light which explains a lot on why a lot of my LPS corals look like crap ( polyp extension, color etc ). A while ago I got rid of the 5 or so SPS I had and went strictly LPS and Softies due to I was not seeing good color, growth or polyp extension on the SPS. The wife thought they were ugly lol. In the past I was using the Seneye Reef ( which I just threw in the trash ). I also rented the Apogee 500 series from BRS a while ago and it was broke so I never was able to do a verification of the Seneye Reef's accuracy ( my fault ). The area I just measured, ( 9" ) down from the water surface which is the tallest point on my rockscape only read 82 par on the VBR and read 252 par on the Seneye Reef. You talking more than 3X difference.
For what it's worth, I have 4 Mitras 7602's on my 84x30x24 tank. I will be changing my light settings and going into acclimation mode for a few months after I figure out what the PAR values throughout the tank I need for the corals I have and the ones I plan on getting. I made a list of optimal PAR values for different species of corals last night after doing some research. I have some work to do.
It's so helpful to work with data, and I'm happy it's working for you. You saw the information I shared regarding the sensor multiplier? I'll be revisiting that multiplier over the next week, as I now have a second Apogee (510) with which to capture comparative data.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two GHL Mitras with a single ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro between them. I captured the spectrum with a UPRtek MK350S Premium and uploaded that data to Apogee's spectral correction tool. From that, I had the error I should expect from my 500 series Apogee (essentially making sure it's correct per Apogee's guidance). I placed the meters' sensors at the same location and with the sensor face at the same elevation as marked on the tank's glass. Readings were taken with flow off and as still of a surface as possible.
Which sensor do you believe this to be? It has the markings of the =1.00X but the photon disc's look like =1.17X?
If I set my par for my highest rock to 250 @1.00X and it is actually a1.17X which would be 292 par, that is a fairly large difference IMO. For lower par values, lets say 100 par, 17 par difference not so much a big deal. To be safe, I have momentarily set the intensity to 50% vice 75% @17.5K spectrum. 75% is the intensity that I just did the setup of the lights to get the par am looking for at various points in the tank. I will wait to see what you have to say before increasing intensity and going into acclimation for a few months.
20240319_111939.jpg
2024-03-19.png 2024-03-19 (1).png

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which sensor do you believe this to be? It has the markings of the =1.00X but the photon disc's look like =1.17X?
If I set my par for my highest rock to 250 @1.00X and it is actually a1.17X which would be 292 par, that is a fairly large difference IMO. For lower par values, lets say 100 par, 17 par difference not so much a big deal. To be safe, I have momentarily set the intensity to 50% vice 75% @17.5K spectrum. 75% is the intensity that I just did the setup of the lights to get the par am looking for at various points in the tank. I will wait to see what you have to say before increasing intensity and going into acclimation for a few months.
20240319_111939.jpg
2024-03-19.png 2024-03-19 (1).png
That's the 1.17 sensor. For now, consider the multiplied readings to be accurate enough for what you're doing.

Mine, along with a ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro, are set to 60% and at about 1' above the water.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the 1.17 sensor. For now, consider the multiplied readings to be accurate enough for what you're doing.

Mine, along with a ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro, are set to 60% and at about 1' above the water.
My lights are also 1' above the water surface. I would like to run a test. If you don't mind, could you send me your channel slide bar % settings you have set with your 60% intensity and your par measurement up against one of your Mitras pucks using the 1.00X sensor? I would like to compare your par reading with the sensor I have.
I have sent an email to the manufacturer asking about the different sensors. Below is the email.

Hello,
I just purchased the VBR-Aqua PAR Meter for my reef tank based upon the recommendation from a fellow reefer. There seems to be a couple versions of the sensors that come with the unit. This has been documented on the REEF TO REEF forum by a very reputable gentleman that goes by the handle "telegraham". He has done test comparisons of the VBR-Aqua with the 500 series Apogee which is the industry standard PAR Meter used in reefing. He purchased one and tested it in comparison with the Apogee and the test showed the same readings on both meters which is great because the VBR is $400 cheaper than the Apogee. To continue his testing he was given another VBR-Aqua from a fellow reefer to test and it had a different looking sensor than the one he purchased. What he found is that the two different sensors gave two different readings by a factor of 1.17X. He swapped sensors with the hand held controllers to verify it is the sensor and not the controller that caused the different values. The sensor is what caused the difference.
So, long story short, mine came with a different looking sensor than the two he tested. It has the markings and color on the metal housing that he tested that required no conversion factor but has the same looking photon detectors that he said require the 1.17X. I have attached some photos. The photos with the two sensors he tested with the conversion factor and mine shows the sensor I received.
Question is, does mine have the photon detectors that he said require the 1.17X conversion or do I have the 1.00X sensor? Why the different sensors and if mine is the old style, why did I get the old vice the new style when I just purchased it yesterday?
Update: I just sent a photo of my sensor to telegraham and he just responded that I have the sensor that requires the 1.17X conversion. How can I get the sensor that requires no conversion?

Best Regards,

Steve

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are also 1' above the water surface. I would like to run a test. If you don't mind, could you send me your channel slide bar % settings you have set with your 60% intensity and your par measurement up against one of your Mitras pucks using the 1.00X sensor? I would like to compare your par reading with the sensor I have.
I have sent an email to the manufacturer asking about the different sensors. Below is the email.

Hello,
I just purchased the VBR-Aqua PAR Meter for my reef tank based upon the recommendation from a fellow reefer. There seems to be a couple versions of the sensors that come with the unit. This has been documented on the REEF TO REEF forum by a very reputable gentleman that goes by the handle "telegraham". He has done test comparisons of the VBR-Aqua with the 500 series Apogee which is the industry standard PAR Meter used in reefing. He purchased one and tested it in comparison with the Apogee and the test showed the same readings on both meters which is great because the VBR is $400 cheaper than the Apogee. To continue his testing he was given another VBR-Aqua from a fellow reefer to test and it had a different looking sensor than the one he purchased. What he found is that the two different sensors gave two different readings by a factor of 1.17X. He swapped sensors with the hand held controllers to verify it is the sensor and not the controller that caused the different values. The sensor is what caused the difference.
So, long story short, mine came with a different looking sensor than the two he tested. It has the markings and color on the metal housing that he tested that required no conversion factor but has the same looking photon detectors that he said require the 1.17X. I have attached some photos. The photos with the two sensors he tested with the conversion factor and mine shows the sensor I received.
Question is, does mine have the photon detectors that he said require the 1.17X conversion or do I have the 1.00X sensor? Why the different sensors and if mine is the old style, why did I get the old vice the new style when I just purchased it yesterday?
Update: I just sent a photo of my sensor to telegraham and he just responded that I have the sensor that requires the 1.17X conversion. How can I get the sensor that requires no conversion?

Best Regards,

Steve
I have communication from the manufacturer that confirms the sensor change. Will be interesting what they have to say to you.

Another reefer sent me their VBR and it was like yours. See my Amazon review. In-tank testing will offer too many variables.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have communication from the manufacturer that confirms the sensor change. Will be interesting what they have to say to you.

Another reefer sent me their VBR and it was like yours. See my Amazon review. In-tank testing will offer too many variables.
I got a response from Rowlin at De-Power and was a little surprised with his response. It turns out they did make a sensor change but not in the way I would of thought according to your tests you performed. It turns out that the opaque one in your photo is the new sensor that should not require the 1.17x multiplier according to Rowlin but your test shows it does. It makes no sense to me for the manufacturer to replace a sensor that your test show as being accurate with a sensor that requires a conversion. I am a little confused on why they would do this.
I marked up your attachment to show the new vs old sensor according to Rowlin.
Bard_Generated_Image 1.jpg

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have marked it correctly, as my sensor is the older model. The newer model reads lower than the older. I had two VBR meters here, swapped sensors, and the low reading followed the sensor. The new sensor requires the multiplier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back