Jebao return pump versions - DCQ/DC/DCT/DCP/DCS? Sheesh, which one?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I bought a used 120 gallon aquarium (48x24x24) that had an Aquatop SWP 3600 1056 GPH return pump. Sounds like I should upgrade to a DC return pump. Jebao's may not be the best, but many seem to love them and they're relatively easy on the wallet. But I'm confused by so many different versions! For my 120 gallon with 40 breeder sump, which pump should I get? What are the differences between DCQ/T/P/S...? My LFS suggested the 6000 or 8000 (they just carry the DCQ ones). Thanks!
--Kyle

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DCT 4000 on my 93 cube and have it turned down.

Fantastic pump.

I have a DCT 12000 on my 1000 gallon koi pond and it's been running over 3 years and was used when I got it.

So, I like the DCT series to say the least.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a DCP 6500 on my Reefer 425xl for the last 2.5 years. I've only cleaned it 2-3 times and never had any trouble. It's also quiet--my skimmer and gyre are louder. I also have a second pump in the basement for my saltwater mixing station. It easily pushes water ~6' horizontally, then ~12' vertically.

edit: @cvrle1 beat me to the video!

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. cvrle1, ironically I just found that video right after posting! :) Looks like DCQ is the newest (DCT->DCS-DCQ) and DCP is a different line altogether (SINE Wave). So really I just need to decide between DCQ and DCP. Thanks,
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I can get the DCQ-10000 or DCP-10000 for about the same price. If price is equal, what would you choose? The SINE Wave DCP or the newest (and apparently quietest) DCQ model? Thanks,
--Kyle

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the DCP 6500 on my SCA 150 with internal overflow. I have mine turned down to 50% due to overflow capacity. Over 50% the overflow is too loud. Unless your planning on running multiple reactors the 6500 will be plenty.
I am very happy with the performance, cost, sound of my Jaebo return pump.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All! I will probably get the DCQ, but it looks like either would be fine. I think I'll either get the 8000 or 10000 (not much difference in price between those or the 6000). Then I can dial it down if it's too much or turn it up if I need to. I want to get an algae scrubber, and if I can use the overflow to feed the scrubber, maybe I would need more power than the 6000 or 8000? Thanks,
--Kyle

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought DCQ was an upgrade to DCP, that is, it has no electronics in the pump.
I don't own a DCQ so cannot confirm.
Only get a DCP, or DCQ if it is similar to DCP. never get any of the older model.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought DCQ was an upgrade to DCP, that is, it has no electronics in the pump.
I don't own a DCQ so cannot confirm.
Only get a DCP, or DCQ if it is similar to DCP. never get any of the older model.

Yeah, I've narrowed it down to only getting a DCQ or DCP. If you look at the video above, you'll see the difference. DCP uses Sine wave; different tech from the previous pumps. So I understood it to be a new branch in their models, with DCQ being a descendent of (or upgrade from) the DCS. At any rate, I'm probably getting the DCQ-10000 to have a little extra power if it's needed. Thanks,
--Kyle

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've narrowed it down to only getting a DCQ or DCP. If you look at the video above, you'll see the difference. DCP uses Sine wave; different tech from the previous pumps. So I understood it to be a new branch in their models, with DCQ being a descendent of (or upgrade from) the DCS. At any rate, I'm probably getting the DCQ-10000 to have a little extra power if it's needed. Thanks,
--Kyle
I would not trust that video.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took from another post:

To correct some things i read:
DCP and DCQ pumps are different, not only controllers are different.
DCA from Coral Box are DCS pumps with special advanced controller. (Also, DCA4000, DCA6000, DCA9000 and DCA12000 include external 0-10v control, no need of AQLlink for Apex and Profilux). Controller also include a level sensor for overflow OR water shortage alarm/shutdown.

DC: electronic inside pump, 3 pin cable = GND VCC and 0-5V speed
DCT/DCS/DCA/DCP/DCW/DCQ: electronic only in controller, 3 pin cable = 3 phase Brushless DC Motor

DCT, DCS and DCQ controllers cost less because they drive motor with a square electric waves.
DCP, DCW and DCA controllers cost more because they drive motor with a sine electric waves.

DCS and DCQ motor can be drive with sine electric waves with AQLink: https://www.fish-street.com/video/a1manual.pdf and get better performances and be quieter.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCT, DCS and DCQ controllers cost less because they drive motor with a square electric waves.
DCP, DCW and DCA controllers cost more because they drive motor with a sine electric waves.

Yeah, I saw that too. Despite what that says, I can actually get the DCP (Sine wave) for a little less than the DCQ (newer / Square wave). But I was planning to get the DCQ just because it's newer / more established model line. Think that's a good idea?
DCQ-10000 - $115 shipped
DCP-10000 - $101 shipped
Both off of eBay from a US seller... Thoughts? Thanks,
--Kyle

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two pumps are essentially the same with only the difference in the controller.
I have only tested DCT controller signal, and it is trapezoidal, which is typical BLDC motor signal.
If DCP controller is indeed sine wave, that could explain why it run quieter (no high pitched whine) than the DCT. But that could be in the physical pump design, and not in the controller.
https://www.motioncontroltips.com/what-is-sinusoidal-commutation-for-dc-motors/

if you get the DCQ, you can always get the DCP controller only later to drive the DCQ pump for about $20.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys using to adapt the DCP4000 to standard US plumbing? The adapters don't fit, and the threads on the pump are BSP (straight thread, no pitch).

I bought 2 of these with the thought of using one on my salt mixing station.

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DCQ apparently also has some type of wave function. That turned me off immediately, myself. I cant imagine it being useful as a return pimp with my tuned overflow.

The DCP-8000 is what I'm looking at for my 40 breeder with 20L sump. Found this thread while looking for comparisons to other pumps in the same price range.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dcp10000 is dying after 2 years bought it in 2017 woke up to it turned off. Wondering if I should get it again or switch. Is the DCq the new one. Thoughts? Also thinking of the maxspect jump

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been running this one for over a year now on my 40B.
wish i went a size or 2 up, but it does the job, and is perfectly quiet.
i've only cleaned it once so far, and it wasn't even that bad.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back