CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! What an eventful collection of issues

All one issue Ben. LOL

No CO2 > low Alk > baking soda. Crazy how the tank responded once the CO2 was back on and my Alk/CA stabilized - the growth tips are really stretching out now.

0b52ad6bafc5a256eae8f6290416f6b4.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank temp hit 81 today. Cool Tennessee weather is officially gone I think. I re-installed my cooling fan today, much to my wife's disappointment (it's loud).

I'm always amazed at how effective it is.

2bc83fa7c8e8a6d8d794ce7947916c03.jpg

On a open tank, with good water circulation and surface agitation, "latent" heat is dramatically removed from water in an exchange between the water and the ambient air. As the liquid becomes a vapor, heat is removed. I think it's the amount of air flow and the relative humidity that determine how effective the heat removal is. I don't think the temperature of the ambient air is even a significant factor in the cooling.

This phenomenon is very pronounced, as an example, at the Red Sea. It's windy, the air temp is very hot and the humidity is relatively low. This chills the surface of the water, and can cause quite a surprise when getting in. [emoji6]

Anyway, tank dropped two degrees in about 45 minutes.

AdamPhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank temp hit 81 today. Cool Tennessee weather is officially gone I think. I re-installed my cooling fan today, much to my wife's disappointment (it's loud).

On a open tank, with good water circulation and surface agitation, "latent" heat is dramatically removed from water in an exchange between the water and the ambient air. As the liquid becomes a vapor, heat is removed. I think it's the amount of air flow and the relative humidity that determine how effective the heat removal is. I don't think the temperature of the ambient air is even a significant factor in the cooling.

This phenomenon is very pronounced, as an example, at the Red Sea. It's windy, the air temp is very hot and the humidity is relatively low. This chills the surface of the water, and can cause quite a surprise when getting in. [emoji6]

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/adamaphe-65-gallon-build.297797/ When are you free to help me fire this baby up?

AdamPhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I first met you and you explained the fan it was over my head. I finally put it in a automotive perspective. Been over a year lol. You just bolt on a turbo to the wall And put about 20lbs of boost in the tank!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a small red goni today. For whatever reason it's waned away to almost nothing in my LFS, so I bought it to see if it might be saved.

d17b9a02261f83d13b5e6bf485a201ed.jpg

Ive kept a green goni for quite some time now, and hope an adjacent resting spot on my sand bed might prove just as acceptable to the new one.

Any gonipora wisdom is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Procrastinating on treating Red Bugs. ☹️

Lemonade doing well.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have orphek lights, what are you running? v3? do you like them?

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have orphek lights, what are you running? v3? do you like them?

They're the 2.1b's. I could never get both to sync to my router, so I have to switch routers and control them individually which is kind of a pain. The lenses on the uv's also darkened over so I've pretty much lost those. But, they do seem to grow coral. Granted, I have no comparison as Orphek is all that I've ever run.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglect. That's the latest.

Lost a small purple monster, my orange passion and some red dragon - basically my my higher end more sensitive species.

I haven't been testing. Went on vacation for four days with no tank sitter. Putting off a large water change and needed cleaning, not to mention procrastinating treating for red bugs.

Depression. Ugh.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lost a small purple monster, my orange passion and some red dragon - basically my my higher end more sensitive species.

I haven't been testing. Went on vacation for four days with no tank sitter. Putting off a large water change and needed cleaning, not to mention procrastinating treating for red bugs.

Depression. Ugh.
You have some beautiful specimens. Sorry for the beauties you lost. There is a bright side. You get to spend more $$$ for replacements?!! Seriously beautiful tank.

AdamPhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depression. Ugh.
Sorry for the loss!

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your recent losses :( Hopefully everyone else stays happy & healthy!

I wanted to say thank you for documenting your tank build as meticulously as you did, especially at the beginning. I'm in the earliest of planning stages, and it's both incredibly helpful & motivating to read through all 28 pages of someone else starting from scratch!

Amanda

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Depression. Ugh.
Come on buddy, get with it! Depression stinks, but a thriving reef smells great! - I'm looking forward to that tank interview you promised me ;)

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on buddy, get with it! Depression stinks, but a thriving reef smells great! - I'm looking forward to that tank interview you promised me ;)
You're welcome over any time friend, to se the good the bad and the ugly. LOL
Hope you and yours are well. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back