Joby’s 60 gallon cube build

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. I figured I’d post my cube build to help document my re-entry into the reef world. My first reef attempt was in the about 20 years ago. I ran it for about 5 years, but it was overrun with cyano and was eventually torn down when I moved houses. I consider it a failed reef that became a FOWLR.

I ended up buying my cousins custom cube that he tore down when he moved into his new house. It is a custom 3/8” thick Starfire glass cube with built in overflow. Custom sump with refugium, skimmer, gfo reactor and bio pellet reactor, ATO, original ApexJr and eb4.

I built 2 rock structures using a box of real reef ready mix mini and a box of Carib sea shapes. I put little feet on the structures so they could sit flat on the bottom of the glass.
IMG_3418.jpeg

I did not have a large container so I mixed the water in the tank.
IMG_3427.jpeg

Added Carib sea speacial grade live sand which completely clouded up the tank for a couple days. In hindsight, I should have rinsed it because I am sure it will cloud the tank everytime I clean it.

IMG_3485.jpeg

I added microbacter7 for the next 7 days and then dosed it with Dr. Tims one and only so I could add fish.

IMG_3522.jpeg

AquaSD was having their grand opening so I really only wanted to start with 2 clowns, but their special was buy 2 get 1 free so I ended up taking home a free flame hawk. In addition to buy one get one, they had a special goodie bag for the first 50 customers which contained a frag. I did not intend to turn on the lights or put any coral into my new tank, but it was a “gift.” I don’t even know what it is. Any ideas?

IMG_3567.jpeg

Here is the tank witha gen3 xr30 pro. I don’t know how to take iPhone photos without it looking completely blued out.

IMG_3534.jpeg

Currently have a gyre jump 2K in there because BRS had a super sale on them, but going with 2 MP40s because I don’t like the power cord in the tank. I hope to have a successful reef this time. “Trying” to take it slow. Please let me know what y’all think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also finally found a way to take pictures of the tank without it being completely blued out. I ordered a new apex dos from fishandcoralstoredotcom and they sent a couple of free items like a stickers, measuring shot glass etc. One of the freebies was a pair of orange glasses that work amazing for the tank!!!

IMG_3717.jpeg
IMG_3718.jpeg

OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happen was… I noticed that aquaSD had a couple of hammers that I wanted on eBay so I figured I bid on a couple and probably maybe win 1 or 2 items. I ended up winning 7 items . Patience is not my strong suit, but hopefully the tank is ready enough.
IMG_3743.jpeg

OP
OP
joby619

joby619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice torch. The picture and video are way to blurry to correctly identify it. Can you try to get a clearer video?
I tried to get better images but it’s just way too small. Kind of looks like it’s playing peekaboo. What kind of hitch hiker does that?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back