OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I suggest resealing if necessary, and filling up with tap water to leak test before using a tank. I have a 135 gallon I bought used, and it’s been in service now for 5 1/2 years. And for what it’s worth, new tanks can leak too.
I really like this way of thinking. Thank you for sharing this viewpoint that I haven't thought of yet

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what does "budget" mean? Yes, you probably can't get a nano tank under $300, but "budget" could mean very different price ranges dependent on the person. IMO, people going to put animals under their care, should not be "on a budget." Yes, you could do it cheaper then the normal tank, but anyone caring for animals IMO has to be willing to provide the proper care, which in most cases means buying things that are more expensive. I mean, just go on social media and search up fish tanks, and alot of what will show up is freshwater fish crammed into a one or two gallon tank, filled with plastic. Unfortuantly, sometimes I also see that with the saltwater fish. So yes, I agree with your point. People should not have a budget to where they can't properly care for the fish. But, it can vary greatly from person to person.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this way of thinking. Thank you for sharing this viewpoint that I haven't thought of yet
You’re welcome. My #1 tip for saving money in reefing is to make a lot of friends. Well, I mean actually make friends, the saving money part is just a side perk. Don’t do it just to get stuff. Lol!

BubbleBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people too often asking "I need help setting up a budget fish tank" but the best you can do is try to get sales or used things. the amount of money you spend reflects the quality of the tank. If you have a different opinion I'm open to hearing different viewpoints.
Definitely possible. I started with a 40 gallon breeder purchased during Petco’s $1-a-gallon sale, HOB filter and lights, wave pump, and heater from Amazon for close to $300. Later converted to a QT. It wasn’t the best setup but it got me started.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what does "budget" mean? Yes, you probably can't get a nano tank under $300, but "budget" could mean very different price ranges dependent on the person. IMO, people going to put animals under their care, should not be "on a budget." Yes, you could do it cheaper then the normal tank, but anyone caring for animals IMO has to be willing to provide the proper care, which in most cases means buying things that are more expensive. I mean, just go on social media and search up fish tanks, and alot of what will show up is freshwater fish crammed into a one or two gallon tank, filled with plastic. Unfortuantly, sometimes I also see that with the saltwater fish. So yes, I agree with your point. People should not have a budget to where they can't properly care for the fish. But, it can vary greatly from person to person.
I mainly tried to get the point you are exaggerating across. Sorry it wasn't more clear

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely possible. I started with a 40 gallon breeder purchased during Petco’s $1-a-gallon sale, HOB filter and lights, wave pump, and heater from Amazon for close to $300. Later converted to a QT. It wasn’t the best setup but it got me started.
A lot more work than average though

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people too often asking "I need help setting up a budget fish tank" but the best you can do is try to get sales or used things. the amount of money you spend reflects the quality of the tank. If you have a different opinion I'm open to hearing different viewpoints.
Sure they do. Everyone has a budget.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketplace has been the source for almost all my Apex stuff and Hannah testers. All at least half $ of new. That counts as budget reefing for me.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 gallon cylinder glass container with lid. Drill 2 holes. One for air pump and one for gas blow out. 13 dollars

Par 38 bulb tuna blue. 50 dollars

Stand for bulb 40 dollars

Air pump 5 dollars

Air restriction control and air stone will say 10 dollars.

Live rock should be less than 15 and sand if you want

Live sand 21

Total 154. Lfs water premade local is 2 a gallon. Then you can add the lower end frags from 5 to 20 over time. A couple small inverts/cuc.

This price can go up and down. Even below 100 for equipment. But still not cheap for some.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're aiming to achieve. A 5 gallon Pico macroalgae tank with an aeration stone and xenia is still a reef tank, and so is a 20,000g reef display in Long Island, NY. One's more spectacular than the other, sure, but the other one does not require a full time team of people to run. It's whatever you're trying to specifically get out of the hobby.

That said, modern equipment is fairly pricy new. Sales are always a good bet. But : does everyone have 8-1400 dollars lying around for the latest doser? Or can they get similar results with a Wyze plug, peristaltic pump and a phone?
1000003292.jpg
1000003293.jpg

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a low cost tank in my garage (emergency after tank leak). 40 gallon breeder from petco. Sump is a rubbermaid tote from Lowes. Stand is a board and some bricks. Decent PS is reef octopus for $200. Vivosun or jabeao return pump is $30-$50. Jebao sow4 or 8 wave maker for $50. Overflow box $150 (if you don't want to drill). Return nozzle $15. $80-$100 for ink bird heater controller plus heater. $80 for dosing pump. With white PVC plumbing and cheap tubes would be a little under $1,000. Not the prettiest setup but it works.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, modern equipment is fairly pricy new. Sales are always a good bet. But : does everyone have 8-1400 dollars lying around for the latest doser? Or can they get similar results with a Wyze plug, peristaltic pump and a phone

My rather economical doser is powered by the space-time bending properties of mass!*

IMG_0722.jpeg

*not quite fully automated, some manual input required

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can have a reef tank on a budget. First step is wait for a fire sale on someone wanting to get out of hobby, and buy their tank at a discount. This is total luck and you need to have patience. Stick with LPS and softies. And there are plenty of corals in the $5-$10 sections in the LFS. Join your local reef club, and help out & you will get a lot of freebies. And let those grow out, and then trade corals with other reefers nearby. A couple smart electric plugs, and you can control the basics. Manual water change consistently with IO salt, and you are good.

You start paying way more for convenience and automation and time, and getting the clean look. And stick with a smaller tank like a 20-40 gallon tank. Big tank does mean big $.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to get a great deal might be to have a sugar daddy or a government contract so you don’t spend your own money?

Otherwise, buying used can significantly reduce the startup costs but the cost of keeping a tank running is still high ime.
barbara palvin woman GIF

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back