Just after some Anemone advice.

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I took the plunge and FINALLY bought an Nem.

Ive brought it home. Temp and drip acclimated. Placed in tank.

I placed it on the rock close to an opening hoping it would take hold there for now until it figured out where it wanted to be (See pic).

However within 10 minutes it had moved and worked its way down to the sand where it has now been lying like a deflated kids bouncy castle for a little over 30 minutes. Should I move it? Is it OK? I dont think it looks great?

Cheers.

20200722_151111.jpg 20200722_150943.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just turn flow off?
When I introduce a new nem to my system I turn all powerheads off but leave the return on. Leave them off till it looks like he has settled.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its floating around, flow off. If its attached, personally, I would not turn off the flow. It will find a favorable spot with optimal light and flow, but if you turn the flow off and it finds a spot it likes, once you turn the pumps back on all the sudden it might not find that spot so favorable anymore.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its floating around, flow off. If its attached, personally, I would not turn off the flow. It will find a favorable spot with optimal light and flow, but if you turn the flow off and it finds a spot it likes, once you turn the pumps back on all the sudden it might not find that spot so favorable anymore.

Its not floating but I could defo pick it up its just on the sand

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a BTA, so it should settle within your rockwork. Therefore, as previously mentioned, you can pick it up and move it back up onto the rocks. Where it ultimately decides to attach is primarliy dependent on lighting and flow, so after it has attached you'll want to turn on your powerheads to their normal settings. If they're not covered, you'll want to keep a close eye on the nem for the first few days, and if your water changes cause an abrupt change in parameters, you'll want to watch it then as well.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a BTA, so it should settle within your rockwork. Therefore, as previously mentioned, you can pick it up and move it back up onto the rocks. Where it ultimately decides to attach is primarliy dependent on lighting and flow, so after it has attached you'll want to turn on your powerheads to their normal settings. If they're not covered, you'll want to keep a close eye on the nem for the first few days, and if your water changes cause an abrupt change in parameters, you'll want to watch it then as well.

I decided to leave it as it was on the move. It looks to be fixing up to attach to the back wall? Ill see how it plays out for the rest of the day and take it from there. And yes its a BTA. Any ID on which?

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have powerheads you might want to look into getting anemone guards for them so it doesnt get chopped up. Although i had anemone guards on my mp40 and it still killed my anemone so its no guarantee but better than not having one.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have powerheads you might want to look into getting anemone guards for them so it doesnt get chopped up. Although i had anemone guards on my mp40 and it still killed my anemone so its no guarantee but better than not having one.

I actually removed my powerhead recently as I upgraded return pump and added RFG nozzle so Im hoping all will be fine

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's gonna go where it wants. Just embrace your sideways nem. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back