***Just bought a Tang that was hurt real bad and is now in the healing process

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to save the tang and give him a good life... I bought this from my LFS, some one had come in to the store and tried to sell the fish to her and she said the you can see a hole right through the fishes head!!! How do you expect someone to pay for a something like this!!! She was upset and some how ended up with the fish. She thought the was going to die by the next day, but after seeing that he was holding on she nursed the fish back to health. I kept seeing the fish in her frag tank for a month and I finally bought him... I hope he lives!

Let me know what you guys think about the situation...

This was taken by my Canon: you can see the damage that was done to him... Hi nose was almost falling off when the LFS Lady got him and he actually had a hole in his head...
IMG_1807.jpg

Taken by Iphone: Both sides of his face is like this one side.
IMG_1141.JPG

Taken by Canon: Doing fantastic at his new carefree home!
IMG_1794.jpg

peter505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of my clownfish in a similar fashion (only no hole in the head). and now it's doing fantastic and mating like crazy. I think you took a little risk but if you saw it healing not a very big risk. Good for you and goodluck with your new addition!

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very bad case of HLLE, it can be healed but will take a while. Proper diet and nutrition are very important at this point. Selcon and lots of seaweed are your friend.

OP
OP
S

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His diet consist of a little flake, mysis shrimp, seaweed mixed and being fed to him... I will get him some scallops bits too later on to supplement his diet.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty cool. Once that guy gets back to full health its scar will be a conversation starter. :)

If you are dosing carbon you may want to look into "carbon + HLLE". Carbon may be a catalyst for HLLE so something to check out.

OP
OP
S

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon is in the canister filter, I put live rock rubble for media filtration instead of carbon. I read about HLLE, which I knew nothing about and there isn't much information and testing that has been able to point fingers at except for a study that was not replicated. Nutrition, carbon and water quality was part of the study... We all know the importance of the atmosphere we create for them and wish there was more out there to go by... I googled wiki and that was where I read about it.

Thanks for the input though...

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE is pretty common for some tangs. My lavender tang will get a spot if I dont soak his food in selcon often enough. If you soak all food in selcon for a few weeks he will be perfects

OP
OP
S

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sailfin is doing great so far... he has eaten from my hands, from the baster and let the peppermint shrimp clean him a little today...

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a sohal tang from a friend that had HLLE for free .. i have been treating it for over a month now .. hes come around .. diet is the main deal to keeping a healthy tang .. i have 8 tangs in my DT from the sohal , to a mated pair of Naso vlamingi , a mates pair of sail fins , a java island blue line , scopas , lavender , there diet is fresh crushed garlic , tons on nori , Vitamin A & C , fresh oysters , shrimp , scollops , row when i can get it .. with a lil garlic blended well .. works great .. heres a pic of my sohal with the HLLE ..

Attachments

• IMG_20120804_111356.jpg
    IMG_20120804_111356.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 162

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm seems kidna odd to take a picture of a injured fish out of the water??? but maybe its just me.....

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope that was they day i got it .. my friend shipped it to me from SC to fla .. i took a pic of it before i QTed it .. i always take before and after pix .. now its in my DT tank ..

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 121 74.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back