Just need some enthusiasm honestly

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re wondering why the title, I’ve had my worst month in the hobby so far;
unfortunately my tank went downhill this last week. First my lights melted (I was close to a fire but caught it in time). Then my steriliser wasn’t doing it’s job and ich took hold, so now two of my oldest fish (a 4.5 year old Foxface and a 3 year old Tang) have wound up being hit with ich. They seem to be alright at the moment but its only been a few days and know that it will likely just get worse before it gets better. But I am persevering and trying to combat ich the natural way - Boosting the food and putting in a cleaner wrasse to boost my cleaner shrimp. One a plus side I now have radions on my reef :)

Here’s a photo of the light and my tang with ich.
IMG_7045.jpeg

IMG_7038.jpeg
I hope your fish recover! And thats insane about the light. Bad days pass even though it feels like one hit after another! It will pass even if it feels like a lifetime!

Ps as Dory says, just keep swimming!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. This hobby can be frustrating. How did your fish get ich at 4.5 years old? New fish addition brought it in?
Honestky, my newest fish addition prior to my cleaner wrasse and flasher (added last Sunday) was a Marcosi tilefish that was added 2-3 months ago now (July). I did however add a new Frogspawn to the tank 2 weeks ago.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been an incredible member on this site and have been helpful to a bunch of people here. Don't let the setbacks get you down, just know there is always a positive at the end of all the negatives

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a mass of vermetid snails and bubble algae that have to be cleared out every week, my Yellow Goby is starving because it transitioned to a Mandarin and will only eat live pods, and I recently ran out of nutrients which resulted in my refugium macroalgae dissapearing, brown slime everywhere, and very unhappy corals.

I won't deny I thought about keeping a goldfish instead.

I put the goby in the sump and fed Reef-Roids for a couple of weeks and things are starting to look a lot better. The LPS in my tank definitely like high nutrient levels, PO4 0.1 to 0.2 and NO3 10-20.

Hope your tank gets better soon!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update;
Ich is sorted but now my CBB is acting up and gone dangerously skinny overnight.
IMG_7230.jpeg

Fed her some extra mysis earlier and she gained some weight but she’s just lost it again and gone back to the pinching. However I’m not losing complete hope as she eats vigorously still.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you luck. I've had my own tank struggles lately as well, with a huge algae bloom and many equipment failures, and have finally gotten that sorted. You can do it too!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update;
Ich is sorted but now my CBB is acting up and gone dangerously skinny overnight.
IMG_7230.jpeg

Fed her some extra mysis earlier and she gained some weight but she’s just lost it again and gone back to the pinching. However I’m not losing complete hope as she eats vigorously still.
Hi, checking on the cb. How is she doing?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, checking on the cb. How is she doing?
She was regaining weight but seems to have gone back to being skinny. It’s honestly just an ongoing battle with my tanks.
image.jpg

My nano has gone to bleaching with my SPS and it seems to be due to a sky high Tin level.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was regaining weight but seems to have gone back to being skinny. It’s honestly just an ongoing battle with my tanks.
image.jpg

My nano has gone to bleaching with my SPS and it seems to be due to a sky high Tin level.
I'm glad she is still around, fingers crossed. I love my CD. She has turned out to be my favorite.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad she is still around, fingers crossed. I love my CD. She has turned out to be my favorite.
This girl is one of my favourites and she’s been around for 4 years (soon to be 5).
My hope is she doesn’t end up withering too soon if she does. And if she does unfortunately pass, I will absolutely have to have another butterfly (just I’m not sure if it’ll be a CB).

One thing I’ve noticed is she’s no longer out and about and is just sat up in one corner or along the back of the tank…

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back