Just yesterday I noticed this with my clownfish…

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got them a week ago as a bonded pair and they are the only fish in this tank. But I noticed my “male” he keeps opening and closing his mouth pretty fast? Is this rapid breathing or some kind of behavior? Just today he started to gravitate to hiding under this rock before the two would swim together and show signs of wanting too mate with the male twitching when the female comes and nips his underbelly or w.e they do. She doesn’t attack him and he submits every time ? But now I’m afraid something might actually be wrong… he’s hiding under a new cave he found and he keeps moving his mouth like he’s telling her off or something pls help

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got them a week ago as a bonded pair and they are the only fish in this tank. But I noticed my “male” he keeps opening and closing his mouth pretty fast? Is this rapid breathing or some kind of behavior? Just today he started to gravitate to hiding under this rock before the two would swim together and show signs of wanting too mate with the male twitching when the female comes and nips his underbelly or w.e they do. She doesn’t attack him and he submits every time ? But now I’m afraid something might actually be wrong… he’s hiding under a new cave he found and he keeps moving his mouth like he’s telling her off or something pls help
How did you acclimate them? Clown fish will open and close their mouths rather quick, if they are stressed. That's the most common reason, but more serious things could be a bacterial infection, or gill flukes.

It's normal for female clown fish to show aggression and dominance to the male. I can't tell if it's serious, but it's normal to see that type of behavior. Maybe try to explain it in more in detail?

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate them? Clown fish will open and close their mouths rather quick, if they are stressed. That's the most common reason, but more serious things could be a bacterial infection, or gill flukes.

It's normal for female clown fish to show aggression and dominance to the male. I can't tell if it's serious, but it's normal to see that type of behavior. Maybe try to explain it in more in detail?
I sat them in the tank, in the bag they came in for 40 min to adjust them to my tanks temp, Then I drip acclimated them for 20 min so an hour total. Okay I’ve posted a YouTube video of their behavior today here’s the link!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat them in the tank, in the bag they came in for 40 min to adjust them to my tanks temp, Then I drip acclimated them for 20 min so an hour total. Okay I’ve posted a YouTube video of their behavior today here’s the link!

Hmm, I am not sure what that is. Do you see any physical damage to the males body?

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I am not sure what that is. Do you see any physical damage to the males body?
I don’t they look perfectly healthy they both eat very well and fixed diet of pellets and frozen mysis. He just started hiding today. I’m thinking maybe they weren’t fully bonded yet and maybe he’s transitioning? Sheesh these fish are confusing I’m just really worried I love these little guys/girls

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t they look perfectly healthy they both eat very well and fixed diet of pellets and frozen mysis. He just started hiding today. I’m thinking maybe they weren’t fully bonded yet and maybe he’s transitioning? Sheesh these fish are confusing I’m just really worried I love these little guys/girls
You could start a hospital tank and start the usual copper/prazipro quarantine protocol if you haven't - However I don't see much evidence of a disease ? And (no offense) - the video doesn't help much.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be true. I assume that you got them as a pair, right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is see frequently is a male succumbing to the female and as they have no defense system other than biting will perform this behavior. Its part of what is known as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that enters the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open and should see it again act normal with her absence.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they were sold to me “paired”
It might be possible that they sold them as a pair, but they really weren't. I don't think the "aggression" shown is something to worry about. Looks like the female just pushing the male.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is see frequently is a male succumbing to the female and as they have no defense system other than biting will perform this behavior. Its part of what is known as clownfish hierarchy where the female clownfish are much more dominant than the males. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that enters the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often become aggressive to protect their home which may be an anemone, a nesting area, or the entire tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its zone, you likely have a female clown. Often if you separate the female for a week or two into an acclimation box or sump, there may be a change in her behavior, and you will quickly see the male come out in the open and should see it again act normal with her absence.
Thank you for some reassurance on what I was possibly thinking could be happening.. So I did notice the black and white “female” she does get greedy during feeding time. And they both sleep behind the same rock? So I believe they have plenty of room to be left alone and let them carry it on naturally ? But what do you think about his mouthing off problem??

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be possible that they sold them as a pair, but they really weren't. I don't think the "aggression" shown is something to worry about. Looks like the female just pushing the male.
That’s what I’ve been observing too I have a lot of morning and afternoon free time to where I can sit and just observe them

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve been observing too I have a lot of morning and afternoon free time to where I can sit and just observe them
I think they are fine, but it's good to observe them to see if there is any problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for some reassurance on what I was possibly thinking could be happening.. So I did notice the black and white “female” she does get greedy during feeding time. And they both sleep behind the same rock? So I believe they have plenty of room to be left alone and let them carry it on naturally ? But what do you think about his mouthing off problem??
While plenty of room is available, the female will follow the male and hog every inch. Even mated pairs will squabble. Yes, you can observe as long as no physical damage is done to the male. Lowering the white lights can often calm them down a little.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While plenty of room is available, the female will follow the male and hog every inch. Even mated pairs will squabble. Yes, you can observe as long as no physical damage is done to the male. Lowering the white lights can often calm them down a little.
Lowering my white or blue lighting? My lights should be turning off in 30 min I’m curious to how he will act with no lights just normal window lighting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back