Just yesterday I noticed this with my clownfish…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lowering my white or blue lighting? My lights should be turning off in 30 min I’m curious to how he will act with no lights just normal window lighting
White lighting. Be careful with window lighting as the UV from direct and indirect window lighting will cause and promote algae outbreaks

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also reading maybe my lighting could have something to do with it? Have you or anyone heard of fish being more territorial under blue dominate lighting??
I have not heard many people have problems with this, though there are a few people say that their clown fish hate blue light. I don't know if this is accurate, but all fish are different so I don't know. Like @vetteguy53081 said, try lowering your light a little bit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was also reading maybe my lighting could have something to do with it? Have you or anyone heard of fish being more territorial under blue dominate lighting??
Fish are highly active with brright lighting. I cant say it spurs aggression. Aggression is part of a clowns' behavior

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are highly active with brright lighting. I cant say it spurs aggression. Aggression is part of a clowns' behavior
Thanks for all your replies! I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed this is a normal behavior for them! I’ll keep y’all updated here if anything changes!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies! I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed this is a normal behavior for them! I’ll keep y’all updated here if anything changes!
I have a completely different take on this - that tail down sculling motion is pretty common in tank raised clownfish that have a developmental issue with their swim bladder. The fish are slightly negatively bouyant, so they scull with the tails and swim heads up to compensate for that.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a completely different take on this - that tail down sculling motion is pretty common in tank raised clownfish that have a developmental issue with their swim bladder. The fish are slightly negatively bouyant, so they scull with the tails and swim heads up to compensate for that.
Is that referring to the black Darwin? Cause the orange one swims normal and the black one does like to swim tail down.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that referring to the black Darwin? Cause the orange one swims normal and the black one does like to swim tail down.
Correct, the way the Darwin is swimming is how clowns with under inflated swim bladders behave. They can stop doing this for short periods of stronger swimming, and when they stop swimming, they tend to sink.

OP
OP
soarer209

soarer209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, the way the Darwin is swimming is how clowns with under inflated swim bladders behave. They can stop doing this for short periods of stronger swimming, and when they stop swimming, they tend to sink.
Is there anything I should do to help it swim better or is that just how they are now ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I should do to help it swim better or is that just how they are now ?

No - if this is the issue, only supportive care will help - be sure that it is fed well and that other fish don't pick on it.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back