OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm still following along, and curious as to how it turns out.

How long is the fish now?
The fish is about 2.75" right now. I can't wait to see how the white appears in the tail. Does it fade in evenly throughout the whole tail or from front to back? Stay tuned.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is interesting...Ive had 2 white tail bristletooths before and had no idea the juvis were anything but red! Following along!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be an optimist and say it really is C. flavicauda. I'm pretty sure it's not C. truncatus (tail shape and eye color are wrong). It also doesn't have any beginnings of spots near the tail like C. binotatus has and the lips look blue which is something white tails have. This one I had still had some yellow on its tail with adult coloration.

White tail 3_edited.jpg

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I belive to be a juvenile c truncatus that I got a couple weeks ago almost all yellow (for $30). So I think yours is c flavicauda due to the stripes on the back half versus the beginnings of spots you can see on my (admittedly bad) photos.

IMG_20190815_212122.jpg IMG_20190815_212411.jpg

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay. Currently pre-occupied with getting a large regal angel to eat.

But the bristletooth "white" tail is pretty same for the last couple of months. Only a hint of yellow left on the tail and the pelvic fins. I am a little concern that this guy doesn't have a golden top rim right above the eyes. Most bristletooth whitetail adults and juvenile have that pronounced gold right above the eyes.

Here is a pic from tonight with the subject of my current concern.

IMG_20190924_195204.jpg

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus? That's my guess if it isn't a whitetail anyway. Let us know how it shakes out.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus? That's my guess if it isn't a whitetail anyway. Let us know how it shakes out.

So, I have noticed the last couple of days that the fish has a very "glowing" blue set of lips. It is always on the move so hard to take a picture of him. I did take advantage of the fact that this time of the year, I get a bit of sun hitting my tank a window that is in front of the 2 story foyer. Here is a picture of him from today, which is about 6 months from when I acquired the fish. Still no showing of any whiteness in the tail.

IMG_20191028_134828.jpg

In looking up Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus, I can't find prices at the regular sources that I have used(LiveAquaria, Saltwaterfish, Bluezoo, AquaLocker, etc.), and most of the time not listed. Bluezoo does say it is rare but no price.

The other thing that I have seen is Whitetail Bristletooths that are around 3" that have whitetails already. This guy is about 3". So, mystery continues.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the going rates are for Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus? Can't find a price for them online to determine whats the price difference.

Also, do notice that in saltyhog's pic from Aug 1, that the lips of the C. flavicauda are blue/purple lips. In the blue light, the fish I own does purplish looking lips to me. I am still holding out hope.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. Sorry. You and the seller will have to decide how you want to work it out, if it's indeed C. cyanocheilus. It's a bit complicated. Even if what you received is more valuable than a while-tail (I doubt that it is), it's not what you paid for. If it was a sweater, you could exchange it...obviously, this is different.

It's still a cool and a somewhat unique fish though. You have a nice tank as well.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, its not what you were hoping for. I'm not 100% on the id, but I'm pretty much 100% sure it isn't a white tail.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, this is also supposed to be a juvenile white tail. Excuse the hair algae. I upgraded my lights and had an outbreak. She’s in an acclimation box in this video

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the fish? And do you know what it is now?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know what the going rates are for Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus? Can't find a price for them online to determine whats the price difference.

Also, do notice that in saltyhog's pic from Aug 1, that the lips of the C. flavicauda are blue/purple lips. In the blue light, the fish I own does purplish looking lips to me. I am still holding out hope.

My guess would be around $60 to $80, $80 being for a medium sized fish. I agree, the LFS owes you some cash.

OP
OP
J

JJKK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Calling it as C. Cyanocheilus aka bluelip bristletooth tang:

Was hoping it would still could be a whitetail bristletooth. But I think the tail would have started to turn white. Will have to figure out what to do next as one of my dream fish is the whitetail. But given that I have not seen anyone selling the bluelip, I wondered if I should keep it, given its rarity.

IMG_20200122_133323.jpg

IMG_20200122_133217.jpg

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these bristletooth tangs are often locally sold as ctenochaetus sp. "bristletooth tang" since many look similarly boring outside of the obvious ones with common names (kole, tomini , etc.).

I would shoot for the white tail, personally. Let us know what the seller ends up doing if you decide to raise the issue with him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a maculiceps tang also known as freckled face tang.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back