Kalk Stirrer Exit Hose

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening guys,

So I have an Avast kalk stirrer and I currently have the exit line dump the lime water in the section of the return pump in the sump but after a month of use the optical sensor for my ATO was completely covered with lime buildup. So my question is if I add the hose to the part of the sump where the water comes in from the tank overflow would it delude the kalk enough that it won't affect the skimmer, return pump and optical sensors so much?

Thanks in advance.
azu100.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try and submersing the output tube and place it closer to the return pump. Install a john-guest anti-siphon valve in that line to prevent any possibility of back siphoning. When kalk is dripped in the sump, a bit seems to precipitate at the water surface which would explain the build-up on your ATO sensor. It certainly is reasonable that you can run the effluent in the first chamber, but then you are increasing the likelihood of additional build-up on your skimmer pump. Not necessarily a big deal but more maintenance. Just my 2c.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct the output of my kalk reactor into the filter socks, under the ATO reservoir. Works great. No lime buildup, and minimal acute pH change as measured by probe in the return chamber. Also my filter socks don't get clogged and overflow any faster than in the other otherwise identical tank that doesn't use kalk. :)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I direct the output of my kalk reactor into the filter socks, under the ATO reservoir. Works great. No lime buildup, and minimal acute pH change as measured by probe in the return chamber. Also my filter socks don't get clogged and overflow any faster than in the other otherwise identical tank that doesn't use kalk. :)
Ecellent bit of info. I wonder if the kalk solution loses any of it's efficacy from being placed in the filter socks due to the turbulence and air mixing. Likely nominal, if at all. I might have to give that a go as I just swapped out my ATO for the Tunze with an optical sensor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening guys,

So I have an Avast kalk stirrer and I currently have the exit line dump the lime water in the section of the return pump in the sump but after a month of use the optical sensor for my ATO was completely covered with lime buildup. So my question is if I add the hose to the part of the sump where the water comes in from the tank overflow would it delude the kalk enough that it won't affect the skimmer, return pump and optical sensors so much?

Thanks in advance.
azu100.jpeg

It is not unexpected to have some local precipitation. The best way to reduce it is to dose slowly to a high flow and high turbulence area.

This is what the inside of my sump looked like when I dripped it right next to my skimmer return:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

Figure 4. When limewater drips onto surfaces, such as the sides of a sump, precipitation of calcium carbonate takes place. The off-white coloration probably comes from metals such as iron binding to the calcium carbonate surface in the place of calcium.

Figure_4.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try and submersing the output tube and place it closer to the return pump. Install a john-guest anti-siphon valve in that line to prevent any possibility of back siphoning. When kalk is dripped in the sump, a bit seems to precipitate at the water surface which would explain the build-up on your ATO sensor. It certainly is reasonable that you can run the effluent in the first chamber, but then you are increasing the likelihood of additional build-up on your skimmer pump. Not necessarily a big deal but more maintenance. Just my 2c.

That instant precipitation is magnesium hydroxide and it will redissolve and is normal. Calcium carbonate is slower to form (see above article for details).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back