Katie's seahorse tank build

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do for carbon is I keep it in a mesh bag and place it in my baffles like where you have that filter media. Just raise the media up and place it underneath or trim the media and place the bag on top. To much current and cause the carbon to crumble. I would not place it in a overflow box as I would be afraid if it ever clogged up or restricted flow it would cause a flood. In the baffle is usually the least violent current in the tank but 100% of you water that goes to the sump must got through the carbon

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean where the sponge is? That came with the sump so I just assumed it had to stay.
What I do for carbon is I keep it in a mesh bag and place it in my baffles like where you have that filter media. Just raise the media up and place it underneath or trim the media and place the bag on top. To much current and cause the carbon to crumble. I would not place it in a overflow box as I would be afraid if it ever clogged up or restricted flow it would cause a flood. In the baffle is usually the least violent current in the tank but 100% of you water that goes to the sump must got through the carbon

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered i have a canister filter lying around that just needs a new o ring. Maybe i will run my chemical media through that to and from the sump.
I have wondered about media in the overflow box but decided that there is a risk of it creating a clog in the U tube or the drain. The canister filter would be a better idea but be sure to open it up and rinse out detritus every week.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i end up using the canister it should be real easy to clean since i can just dump the whole thing in the sink and rinse. And if i pull the water from the return area it should be pretty filtered already since it will have gone throught the sock and the sponge (alrhough the sponge makes me nervous about nitrates. I may remove that unless i need it to remove microbubbles).

I have wondered about media in the overflow box but decided that there is a risk of it creating a clog in the U tube or the drain. The canister filter would be a better idea but be sure to open it up and rinse out detritus every week.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge can trap detritus and really should not stop micro bubbles but certainly can help stop them. I have one in my sump that I clean every week when I do a water change and I replace them when ever I replace the DI resin (mainly because they are right next to each other at my LFS lol).

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should its cheaper to get it off amazon. Its a good thing the GF dont know that or there goes an excuse to go to the fish store lol

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made a refugium section in my sump. Still waiting for the protein skimmer.

20170527_155727.jpg

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still chugging along with the cycle. We are in one of the ugly stages right now. I have added a few snails to help with algae control and a peppermint shrimp. Hoping to find some good deals on equipment i still need on prime day.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setback today. Basement flooded so it looks like my seahorse build is going to be repurposed for a month or so to hold the 75 gallon reef contents while the basement is dried out and new flooring put in. Blech.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setback today. Basement flooded so it looks like my seahorse build is going to be repurposed for a month or so to hold the 75 gallon reef contents while the basement is dried out and new flooring put in. Blech.
Ahh, I am sorry to hear about that. At least you are set up to deal with it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it could be a lot worse if i didn't have somewhete to put them, but it is going to be a pain getting the fish out of that deep tank when the basement is fixed.
True, I hate trying to catch fish to relocate them and a deep tank is the worst.

Hans Solo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally down with the glofish style tank for seahorses! Get more glow in the dark things :) Who needs corals?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back