OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i need to add some pipe on the other side of the bulkhead inside the sump (good idea). I can't make the sump water level higher (it is actually a little too high as it is. It can't be as bad as i think it is because my husband didn't even notice i turned it on.o_O

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress. Can now start cycling. I think it looks pretty good for artificial. My lights aren't really going to support anything else. At least not for awhile.

20170523_233036.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it Katie and so will your seahorses. You have done a marvelous job in providing for colorful hitches that offer the ponies lots of choices. Also the tank has such a happy mystical vibe which is so fitting for seahorses. Really it looks so good you make me wished I'd gone with artificial decor'. Well done!

outeastreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great . Good luck with the ponies. Dan and Abbie at Seahorse Source are great people to deal with. Where did you get the yellow plastic chains?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@outeastreefer the chains were at lowes where they keep the rope. We will probably go with alyssa's since we are close enough to drive and my son can pick which ponies he wants. I think we will go with hybrids since i hear they are sterile and i don't want to worry about babies. At least not right away. We will start with just one pair.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my carbon or purigen in my 1st chamber of my sump with the skimmer. I change it every week. A little carbon changed often is more effective than a lot of carbon changed infrequently.
Thanks. I am going to put the live rock in the sump for filtration purposes. Where/how do people put the carbon and purigen in the sump?

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just lay it on the bottom? I am not sure how to force the water through it instead of going around it.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the skimmer new off ebay with 20%off coupon. Reef octopus clsc 110int for $150. Best deal i have found so far.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just lay it on the bottom? I am not sure how to force the water through it instead of going around it.
Mine is in a basket that goes with my Prizm Pro skimmer and I just lay it near where the drain empties. It seems to work even though I don't think water goes completely through it either.

In regards to a bit of your rock sticking out of the sump...as long as it is only a small portion it is ok. I had that too for awhile.

Hooray for the skimmer. Reef Octopus have good skimmers and 20% off is nice too.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts about putting the purigen in the overflow box. That would force water through i would think.

OP
OP
K

KatieFloy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered i have a canister filter lying around that just needs a new o ring. Maybe i will run my chemical media through that to and from the sump.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making me want to go out and get some plastic colorful plants hahaha ! I found some really cool ones on eBay that will glow under the LEDs made of silicone [emoji12]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am going to put the live rock in the sump for filtration purposes. Where/how do people put the carbon and purigen in the sump?

I have a GFO reactor, but for carbon I just use a media bag and wedge it between my baffles so the water HAS to go through it.

Great looking tank, I can't wait to see the ponies in there [emoji41]

outeastreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@outeastreefer the chains were at lowes where they keep the rope. We will probably go with alyssa's since we are close enough to drive and my son can pick which ponies he wants. I think we will go with hybrids since i hear they are sterile and i don't want to worry about babies. At least not right away. We will start with just one pair.
Thanks Katie I will look for them. The reason I ask is my daughter has several seahorse tanks. Let me tell you they do breed worse than rabbits. we have several small tanks with fry in them. It does take a lot of work to raise them up. Greg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back