Keep blues on at night or keep tank dark

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to see what everyone does or thinks about leaving just the low level blues on at night time or just giving the tank a break and keeping the lights completely off thanks for he input

OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping it dark my light program for the schedule is stupid how you can't have them go from blues to off quite annoying

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its kind of a matter of personal preference. Both of my tanks keep the moonlights on all night, and my fish seem to sleep fine. I keep them on because it's gives ambient light in the house if I get up in the middle of night. Except when it's a new moon since they're on the moon cycle. Haha. I'm interested to see if anyone else keeps theirs on all night as well.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blues run until about 9:30pm and then it's lights out until about 6:30 when the "sun" rises again :)

Jay_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend turning the lights off at night but I will say that I read something interesting just the other day about moonlights or low light on at night decreases the chances of fish getting spooked and jumping out of the tank. If something bumps them in total darkness and they dart the wrong direction, like up, you may be minus a fish.. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but deff made me go hmmmmm.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So during a full moon they are brighter and during a new moon they are completely off?
I also have my moonlights set to match the lunar phase via APEX.
Yes, they increase and decrease with the intensity of the lunar phase. Sometimes they are on in the late afternoon or late morning. If the moon is out, the lights are on. Regardless of the time of day..

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some blues on all night just for viewing (I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old, so I am up in the middle of the night often). Once I switched to T5/LED combo, I started switching off the LEDs for about 12 hours a night. I came down with a flashlight a few times to find ridiculous polyp extension that i never had before. I am thinking that pitch black period is important for coral feeding (and potentially growth).

skyjacker07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine go off at 9:30 and no light til 6:30, it has helped with my coral growth, and keeps algae at bay, I can't adjust intensity on my lights, so I have to adjust photo period.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I keep mine on, but on the lunar cycle. So brightness varies from about 4% to 0 depending on the phase of the moon.

OP
OP
johnsamm7

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome yea I'll keep it on black out still thank you for the responses

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back