Keep blues on at night or keep tank dark

JP79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my blues till about 1-130am. Then it's dark till morning. The room my tank is in doesn't get light till 8-830 in the morning. My coral extension is insane once the lights are out. My be one reason why I get good coral growth. I would say every tank needs rest. The clean up crew really doesn't come out till it pitch black either.

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moonlights till midnight and then tank blacks out until around 6am when moonlights kick back on.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure if anyone's actually read this article that @dragon99 posted, but it seems to give pretty good insight. Blue lights are actually good if the maximum wavelength is 450 - 460nm (Royal Blue) for some corals. Although, to really get the benefit, they need to be on a lunar cycle. I definitely won't be switching on my white lights unless someone can provide some research to back up their opinion. As far as lights being off completely, I doubt it hurts at all, but it certainly seems like keeping some very slight blue on with a lunar cycle enabled is ideal.

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

I'm not sure if my AI lights have a Lunar mode. But I think I'll try 1% blue until 1am. Sometimes I'm up gaming late, so it would be nice to see the tank somewhat.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the reef fish that we keep actually DO stay in one place most of the night. In fact, once our fish have selected a safe hiding / sleeping place, they will typically return to it every evening at dusk.
Yep, after lights out I can find my fish sleeping in the same spots, the only one that changes is the Melanurus, he'll find different spots once and a while to bury himself in.
My lights ramp down to 9:00 then all off.

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't turn off the lights (including the lunar) my fish never settles. I found it's the only way to get my fish to relax/sleep/whatever it is that fish do at night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back