Keeping a yellow head Jawfish

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Black Cap Jawfish. Always watching and working :)

FBDE5BED-8B2F-4475-B927-0ECB85664F53.jpeg
Awesome looking fish. How big is your black cap? Dustin

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's going to be in a shy tank as I call it. Bangaii Cardinal Pair, some kind of blenny, and then him. should be no aggression. Will he dart back into his burrow when you walk buy or look at him? Or even dart when you walk 10 feet in front of his tank like my YWG does?

So they are very active? Constantly making a burrow? My YWG made his burrow then quit, and I almost never saw him except he'd poke his head out at feeding time.
Mine stayed close to his burrow but I did see him often. I think once settled in and used to the activities outside of the aquarium you'll find them quite amusing!

mistymandarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stayed close to his burrow but I did see him often. I think once settled in and used to the activities outside of the aquarium you'll find them quite amusing!
I got a yellow jaw fish about 10 days ago he started off at the front in a rocky bit ,next day sand had been disturbed and burrowed at back of tank and have not seen him since?

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a yellow jaw fish about 10 days ago he started off at the front in a rocky bit ,next day sand had been disturbed and burrowed at back of tank and have not seen him since?
Yellowhead doesn’t come out to feed? How big of a tank? I’d check to see if he jumped out possibly. Dustin

mistymandarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he was feeding ok ,I have looked behind tank,better have a through look,got a lid on but there is a tiny gap behind because we have been waiting for light brackets to come in

Kent67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old one here. How would a jawfish do in a 100 gallon FOWLR with medium blueface angel, and medium purple tang? They're fast moving fish but generally disregard gobies. Other fish are 6-line wrasse, flame hawk, royal gramma, and tiger goby. The sandbed is probably up to 5 inches deep in a couple spots and there's a wall of live rock in the middle.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep an eye on the wrasse and maybe the Hawk too, not sure TBH so I’d ask more experienced members.

However, your Tang and Angel will ideally have at least a 6’ tank long term.
+1 to this, also make sure the rockwork touches the bottom of the tank and not just the sand.
I’d say a jawfish could shy away from the larger fish constantly swimming over though. He will get used to it but if just keep an eye on it.

midas Blenny KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I have 1 pearly jaw fish currently and she is kind of shy? She seems to stay in her “cave” as we call it and does not come out as much even to eat. Our previous one did the same thing just came out more. She would also “roar” as we called it and open her mouth in a threatening way at other fish

Michelada Palooza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing you can do for jawfish is build them a burrow out of PVC, and decorate it with shells and sand and such. When you add the fish to the aquarium, dump him directly into the burrow. More than likely, they'll appreciate the fine home you've given them, and you won't have to worry about the jawfish deciding to take up residence where you can't see them.

Also, you probably already know this, but make sure your tank is completely covered. Jawfish are very nervous fish, and their natural instinct when startled is to swim up at rapid speed. In most tanks, that will send them carpet surfing very quickly. Even a small gap is enough for them to escape from. I speak from personal experience, sadly.
What size PVC would you recommend? I'm thinking about going with 1" for the entrances & 1.25" for the interior

Back