Keeping Chaeto Alive - Supplementation?

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your reactor or refugium is doing its job and your nutrients are going down, at some point, do you need to supplement to keep the macro algae alive and doesn’t melt into nothingness? I know the folks at Pax Bellum have supplements that they recommend.

It makes sense to me that eventually the algae will use up the nutrients and you’ll need to feed it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be possible. Basic N and P fertilizers would be required to grow chaeto (or really any fast growing green "plant") beyond the capabilities of your system.

What are your levels like without the chaeto?

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be possible. Basic N and P fertilizers would be required to grow chaeto (or really any fast growing green "plant") beyond the capabilities of your system.

What are your levels like without the chaeto?
The no3 is under 10 and phosphate has bounced around. I use Phosphat-e in my top off to keep it in check. I'm looking for more natural stability.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The no3 is under 10 and phosphate has bounced around. I use Phosphat-e in my top off to keep it in check. I'm looking for more natural stability.

Manage the tank through additions, not subtractions.

Skip the whole lantham-chloride-GFO-carbon-source-dosing-gotta-get-low-nutrients thing. There are innumerable organisms and microorganisms in your reef that are better at consuming dissolved nutrients than you are, but they still may need a little help in our imperfect enfironment.

BTW, feed a healthy amount of the healthiest food you can, all the time.

When you test...
  • If you see P rising, but not N – try adding a little N.
  • If you see N rising, but not P – try adding a little P.
  • If that doesn't work, another factor might be limiting algae/coral growth that should be consuming these basic nutrients.
In that last case, try a water change to restore some level of trace elements to see if that makes even a short-term difference.
Or possibly try an ICP test to look at a range of potential limiting nutrients – unfortunately, iron is one of the "more likely" limiting nutrients and apparently ICP does not test well at the low Fe levels we're interested in.
Dosing some iron is also an option.
And of course, re-check all your basics – flow, lights, etc – makes sure everything is at least normal.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you have skill and I'm a dolt!
Nope.
I got dumb luck and went with it.

Doctor it hurts when I do this.
Don't do that.

You got no food left for algae. Don't grow algae.

Fwiw , I've found that some of the calurpa as do better with lower nutrients than Chato. So you could try something new.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manage the tank through additions, not subtractions.

Skip the whole lantham-chloride-GFO-carbon-source-dosing-gotta-get-low-nutrients thing. There are innumerable organisms and microorganisms in your reef that are better at consuming dissolved nutrients than you are, but they still may need a little help in our imperfect enfironment.

BTW, feed a healthy amount of the healthiest food you can, all the time.

When you test...
  • If you see P rising, but not N – try adding a little N.
  • If you see N rising, but not P – try adding a little P.
  • If that doesn't work, another factor might be limiting algae/coral growth that should be consuming these basic nutrients.
In that last case, try a water change to restore some level of trace elements to see if that makes even a short-term difference.
Or possibly try an ICP test to look at a range of potential limiting nutrients – unfortunately, iron is one of the "more likely" limiting nutrients and apparently ICP does not test well at the low Fe levels we're interested in.
Dosing some iron is also an option.
And of course, re-check all your basics – flow, lights, etc – makes sure everything is at least normal.
Mccarroll, solid advice! Thanks! I really like the bullet points. I feel like I'm getting close to what you're advising in that I don't run GFO or a carbon source on the reg. I have struggle with keeping phos low and the lanthanum in the ATO has been a solid option for me so far. It's 3 ml to 5 gallons of water with weekly testing so I'm not chasing the numbers too badly. That's also why I like the reactor - better to have some chaeto doing my work for me. :)

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Doing more" does not help this. Going slower is the only thing that will. :)

Nope.
I got dumb luck and went with it.

Doctor it hurts when I do this.
Don't do that.

You got no food left for algae. Don't grow algae.

LOL! You guys crack me up!

Agreed that the hardest thing in this hobby is patience! Some days are better than others for me.

I felt my tank ran best when I had the reactor running at a constant level with a harvest every 9 days or so. Levels were stable, things looked great, etc. When the algae melted because the nutrients got too low, I got bouncing levels which were trending up and things looked just a bit more rough. Not terrible or dying, just noticeable.

Can't a girl just grow some chaeto? Is that too much to ask???!!! <giggle>

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+N! +P! +N! +P! +N! +P! +N! +P! :D

Chaeto is a fast grower, not optimized at competing for nutrients at all....so limiting nutrients AND growing chaeto are mutually exclusive.

Like @saltyfilmfolks said, another algae more suited to slower growth might work better. I've also seen Codium recommended.

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed everything in the tank as much as I can and my cheato grows great never had an issue

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a reactor and am looking for a clean source of chaeto.
Any recommendations? Im in the SF bay area.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back