Killing Bubble Algae with Reef HD Reef Flux

Sanya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I hurt that Desjardin's sailfin tang helps with bubble algae. I wonder if this is true?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I hurt that Desjardin's sailfin tang helps with bubble algae. I wonder if this is true?
I have one and its never touched it when I had bubble. Foxface more likely to attack it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Coalminer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread was helpful to me in dosing Reef Flux HD to deal with an overwhelming bubble algae problem, so I wanted to add my experience. Tried to get pics of the worst spots in my tank over the course of a month post dosing.

I bought one bottle, and used the whole thing on a 50 gal tank (about 45 gal of water) which worked out to about 2.5 times the recommended dose. I saw recommendations for anywhere from 1x to 4x the dose.

I performed one 5 gal water change after about 2.5 weeks, and another one yesterday (Feb 8). I expected N and P to increase due to the dying off of algae, but only got as high as N = 15 and P = 0.08. Still feeding as much food as fish will consume in 2-3 mins 2x a day.

There are a few spots of bubble algae left. Seem to be primarily in shaded spots. The first set of pics is still the worst spot in my tank. When you stand in front, there is basically no bubbles visible.

Jan 5

1.jpeg

Jan 13

2.jpeg

Jan 20

3.jpeg

Jan 27

4.jpeg

Feb 9

5.jpeg

Jan 5

C6CB5FA8-7A41-4324-A6AE-2489F9764FCC_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 13

41EFA713-B1C5-4456-BC1F-97DC3D986CE6_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 20

97A9F7CF-2A98-46A2-9361-BC4647796EA0_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 27

EF6C4E41-2416-41A4-BB7B-1D848C440493_1_105_c.jpeg

Feb 9

D8F76F4D-FE31-402C-B008-3BB01612BC17_1_105_c.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This thread was helpful to me in dosing Reef Flux HD to deal with an overwhelming bubble algae problem, so I wanted to add my experience. Tried to get pics of the worst spots in my tank over the course of a month post dosing.

I bought one bottle, and used the whole thing on a 50 gal tank (about 45 gal of water) which worked out to about 2.5 times the recommended dose. I saw recommendations for anywhere from 1x to 4x the dose.

I performed one 5 gal water change after about 2.5 weeks, and another one yesterday (Feb 8). I expected N and P to increase due to the dying off of algae, but only got as high as N = 15 and P = 0.08. Still feeding as much food as fish will consume in 2-3 mins 2x a day.

There are a few spots of bubble algae left. Seem to be primarily in shaded spots. The first set of pics is still the worst spot in my tank. When you stand in front, there is basically no bubbles visible.

Jan 5

1.jpeg

Jan 13

2.jpeg

Jan 20

3.jpeg

Jan 27

4.jpeg

Feb 9

5.jpeg

Jan 5

C6CB5FA8-7A41-4324-A6AE-2489F9764FCC_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 13

41EFA713-B1C5-4456-BC1F-97DC3D986CE6_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 20

97A9F7CF-2A98-46A2-9361-BC4647796EA0_1_105_c.jpeg

Jan 27

EF6C4E41-2416-41A4-BB7B-1D848C440493_1_105_c.jpeg

Feb 9

D8F76F4D-FE31-402C-B008-3BB01612BC17_1_105_c.jpeg
Flux is often an alternative and not solution. Its best for hair algae bryopsis IF it works.
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no clue if I have a terribly persistent strain of bryopsis but over the past 3-4 weeks im now 80mg of this stuff into a 12.5 gallon water volume of a 15 gal tank. Hoping to clear it in all the small places. I want bryopsis gone forever as some people have successfully done. I started with 20mg then 30 40ish then full send to 4 entire pellets. I got tired of it. The bryopsis was so resilient and died so sparingly (where it did die) that my phosphates and nitrates, nitrites havent affected my coral. In fact they are doing amazing (as of now hopefully I dont jinx it). To be fair the large majority is gone but thats not the issue if itll just come back in a couple of months from the clearly living roots still hanging on tight to my rock. I starved my tank pretty much trying to get rid of it and finally found this which killed the majority. I found this article while digging for high dose reef flux and thank goodness i found someone with similar corals to mine. Makes me a little less concerned with losing coral. If it affects anything i have such a small tank i can do a quick 50% wc, drop in carbon and put my skimmer cup back in.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
no clue if I have a terribly persistent strain of bryopsis but over the past 3-4 weeks im now 80mg of this stuff into a 12.5 gallon water volume of a 15 gal tank. Hoping to clear it in all the small places. I want bryopsis gone forever as some people have successfully done. I started with 20mg then 30 40ish then full send to 4 entire pellets. I got tired of it. The bryopsis was so resilient and died so sparingly (where it did die) that my phosphates and nitrates, nitrites havent affected my coral. In fact they are doing amazing (as of now hopefully I dont jinx it). To be fair the large majority is gone but thats not the issue if itll just come back in a couple of months from the clearly living roots still hanging on tight to my rock. I starved my tank pretty much trying to get rid of it and finally found this which killed the majority. I found this article while digging for high dose reef flux and thank goodness i found someone with similar corals to mine. Makes me a little less concerned with losing coral. If it affects anything i have such a small tank i can do a quick 50% wc, drop in carbon and put my skimmer cup back in.
Bryopsis and its sister strain derbesia is a battle and one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis and its sister strain derbesia is a battle and one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png
I wish that was an option haha, i have a nano 15 gallon and my rocks are littered with corals. The roots are mixed, in, around, over, under, inbetween zoas, all sorts of lps, some sps. My rock was almost entirely covered and the roots run deep and are numerous. Im 99% sure unless i took everything out and left it in the sun to die for a month thatd be the only way to clear it if this reef flux doesnt polish off the roots.

Correct me if im wrong, from digging through forums and also observing the progress.. there is an obvious reaction to light. Light + bryopsis or the other strain you mentioned that I didnt even know was a thing, = death. I do know however how fast mine spread and was growing. I was plucking 2-3 times a week. It was growing inches every few days. But i think there is another way it interacts with at least what Im dealing with, it hasnt grown (the pockets of bryopsis in dark spots). Its green, healthy and strong but there is no new growth. So im hoping it starves out, or the cuc clean it up over time. Now to make it easier ive considered yanking it to the roots and seeing if my urchins run over it (i have 2 pin cushins in a 15 temporarily to help). Now im going to go find your recommended cuc. But im also curious in seeing what happens so that someone else can possibly benefit from my experience as I hope to from everybody elses posts.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wish that was an option haha, i have a nano 15 gallon and my rocks are littered with corals. The roots are mixed, in, around, over, under, inbetween zoas, all sorts of lps, some sps. My rock was almost entirely covered and the roots run deep and are numerous. Im 99% sure unless i took everything out and left it in the sun to die for a month thatd be the only way to clear it if this reef flux doesnt polish off the roots.

Correct me if im wrong, from digging through forums and also observing the progress.. there is an obvious reaction to light. Light + bryopsis or the other strain you mentioned that I didnt even know was a thing, = death. I do know however how fast mine spread and was growing. I was plucking 2-3 times a week. It was growing inches every few days. But i think there is another way it interacts with at least what Im dealing with, it hasnt grown (the pockets of bryopsis in dark spots). Its green, healthy and strong but there is no new growth. So im hoping it starves out, or the cuc clean it up over time. Now to make it easier ive considered yanking it to the roots and seeing if my urchins run over it (i have 2 pin cushins in a 15 temporarily to help). Now im going to go find your recommended cuc. But im also curious in seeing what happens so that someone else can possibly benefit from my experience as I hope to from everybody elses posts.
Generally does not starve out as the culprit is roots that keep it thriving. Get rid of the roots and you get rid of the growth
We are talking Bryopsis and not bubble algae, correct?

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally does not starve out as the culprit is roots that keep it thriving. Get rid of the roots and you get rid of the growth
We are talking Bryopsis and not bubble algae, correct?
Correct i just commented on this thread bc of the high dose part and seeing how it affected his corals. Im hoping with time and continuous dosing it whittles down and the cuc can get rid of the roots. Id never be able to pick em all out unless i scrape my coral and replace the rock. It snaps and doesnt pull in one piece so itd take days to get every little bit off. Ill have to see where the situation is in a few more weeks and change game plans if it hasnt changed since up-ing the dose

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back