Kinda new to the SPS world so I’ve got a question..

Baugan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often find myself looking online for inspiration for my reef tank that I’m gonna be setting up. I see a lot of tanks that are super mature and grown in and the corals are just absolutely packed into the tank. I’m talking like 15 corals on a rock. How is this possible? Are coral stings not as common or as serious as people say? Is it really that big a deal placing corals so close to each other?

(Photo for example not my tank)

IMG_8355.png

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I'm having the same issue.... I keep cutting down my large colonies because they keep stinging each other... especially the lps with the tentacles

Upvote 0

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's differing approaches. Some people prune so that they keep corals from touching, others allow nature to take its course.

I personally allow them to grow into each other and allow them to battle it out. I never had one die from this, one just over powers the other and kills the surrounding tissue.

Here's an example of how a monti just grew around an acro.

20231105_183055.jpg

Here's a congested acro pile, they tend to regulate themselves.
20231105_183104.jpg

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often find myself looking online for inspiration for my reef tank that I’m gonna be setting up. I see a lot of tanks that are super mature and grown in and the corals are just absolutely packed into the tank. I’m talking like 15 corals on a rock. How is this possible? Are coral stings not as common or as serious as people say? Is it really that big a deal placing corals so close to each other?

(Photo for example not my tank)

IMG_8355.png
Hello, I assume you are new to reefing, and sorry if I'm incorrect. It takes a long time to get to that tank. Yes the coral sting is real and if they touch will damage and kill other coral next to them. Constant trimming and watching your reef is required. It takes a skilled hand and knowing your coral to be able to do it

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find a tank full of frags close together very inspiring.

They will constantly have to be pruned and always stay small.

Personally, I space them out more and grow them out. I like colonies. Looks more natural.

I just added 5 springeri damsels and it's fun to watch them swim between the branches. I think that is how they behave on the real reef.

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately let my colonies get to big to the point where there is no controlling them anymore so they just grow into each other and fight it out. I was trying to keep things trimmed for a long time but eventually gave up. Now there is no way to reduce size without totally destroying a healthy colony. Some will grow until they touch and just stop.....others will fight to the death.

Upvote 0

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must trim them back eventually but as long as the bases dont encroach too much or the branches dont grow into each other most of the time its just fine

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back