Kole or Tomini tang

Flame Hawkfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided the rest of my fish stock, but can not decide what tang would be better.
I either want a tomini and kole tang.

My tank is a 55 gallon FOWLR, but will someday in the future be a reef so which tang would
be better for my tank

reefwatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang in my 60 gal cube
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391650261.873639.jpg

reefwatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better pic

A fool knows you can't touch the stars, but a wise man still reaches.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391651329708.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391651329708.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,435

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another said...they are similar...both being bristle tooth tangs that stay on the smaller size...so do you like the purple of the kole or the yellow/brown/orang of the tomini...
With that there are a few other fun bristle tooths....white cheek, white spotted blue eye, and the two spot....

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you mean white tail tang (which is not an easy fish to find). White cheek is Acanthurus.

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through the same decision for my 75. But ultimately went with the tomini because I liked the orange and white. He's a great addition, constantly searching for algae

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bristletooth Tomini Tang
Minimum Tank Size
: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 6"
Color Form: Tan
Diet: Herbivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Fiji, Indonesia, Solomon Islands
Family: Acanthuridae

Yellow Eye Tang
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 7"
Color Form: Tan
Diet: Herbivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Hawaii
Family: Acanthuridae

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike being "that guy," but I'd seriously caution you to reconsider any Tang, in a 55. What other fish and quantities are currently in this tank?

OP
OP
F

Flame Hawkfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a pair of clowns, 1 green chromis, coral beauty angel, royal gramma, and the tang

PlumCrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be quite honest, a standard 55g although small, for a tomini or kole tang i believe you'd be fine as your ONLY tang. ( I like the yellow eye koles if you can get one with more of a reddish coloration they look very stunning under LEDs). IMO a 55g is better than a 60 cube... yeah more volume but tangs like to swim and if you can give them 4ft rather than >3'... i would. Id even dare to say for the 55g if you fully understood that in a year you would have to rehome it or upgrade, you could do a small yellow/purple/scopas tang or a small atlantic blue... again... if you're aware you have to upgrade tanks or get rid of the fish.

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tomini in a 55 long. My rock work has lots of caves for him to swim in and out of up and down the length of the tank. Becuase he is so active swimming around it does limit the number of fish that I felt comfortable putting in the tank. I really liked the tomini because not that many fish have the white he has on his tail and just looks cool. A small Kole probably would have been fine too. But really, make sure this is the last fish you put in the tank! It will just stress you out when you look at your tank and your fish are getting picked on. Eventually my tang worked it out but still..

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tomini in a 55 long. My rock work has lots of caves for him to swim in and out of up and down the length of the tank. Becuase he is so active swimming around it does limit the number of fish that I felt comfortable putting in the tank. I really liked the tomini because not that many fish have the white he has on his tail and just looks cool. A small Kole probably would have been fine too. But really, make sure this is the last fish you put in the tank! It will just stress you out when you look at your tank and your fish are getting picked on. Eventually my tang worked it out but still..

Who was picking on who?

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree with "returnodsid" of being that guy but I agree. That's way to small of a tank for a tang. Sure if you buy them small you could keep them for maybe 2 years but in the wild tangs swim along the coast of the reef for miles. Now obviously we can't have tanks that are miles long but you still need a longer tank to keep them happy. Even for a Kole or Bristletooth tang I would say a minimum of a 70 gallon tank and that for only be for a juvenile tang you would have to upgrade tank or remove the tang when it gets larger or it will end up becoming aggressive towards the other fish so dying off because it isn't getting enough swimming room. Hope my 2 cents help

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who was picking on who?

Tomini was picking on my other fish. He settled in and now only chases my tailspot around when he wants to eat his poop.....

I bought him with plans to upgrade in the future. If you never want to upgrade your tank size then maybe don't get it. It will be a tricky sucker to catch

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ends up being a hassle in a smaller tank. They just start to bully everyone. I have a scopas in my 75 and hes a jerk. Im actually trying to get rid of it . I dont agree with how fast some say they grow but they do need a big tank. My scopas in a year hasnt a crazy amount. My friend has a hippo in a 155 for a year came in very small its still small. But it doesnt mean to go put them in your tank you will lile the rest of us become attached and not give it up. I had a damsel that was tormenting my other fish and I didnt want to get rid of it but I did

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back