Kole or Tomini tang

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 inch Kole in my 400 and he all of a sudden went super crazy. I've had Kole's for 12 years and this one does not act like a normal one. He killed 4 Anthias and he is trying to kill my 9 inch Gold Flake and 6 inch Tongan Fox Face. I'm getting him out tonight.

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go all seek and destroy there is a pretty cool trick you can try that worked well for me. If you get a picture of a Kole tang from online and tape it to the tank he will stop being so aggressive towards the other fish in the tank and focus on the picture and then you can slowly take him off it. It worked well with my yellow tang when he did the same thing in my tank

Gadsby15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow eye tang has fantastic deep purple body and is def boss of the tank, he gives chase to most of my other fish at some point but nothing massively serious
Id struggle too add more fish I think tho

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini was picking on my other fish. He settled in and now only chases my tailspot around when he wants to eat his poop.....

I bought him with plans to upgrade in the future. If you never want to upgrade your tank size then maybe don't get it. It will be a tricky sucker to catch

Sounds like his head is screwed on wrong. :lol:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 inch Kole in my 400 and he all of a sudden went super crazy. I've had Kole's for 12 years and this one does not act like a normal one. He killed 4 Anthias and he is trying to kill my 9 inch Gold Flake and 6 inch Tongan Fox Face. I'm getting him out tonight.

Info in this post may help you out. Jonty's latest Build thread - Page 7

OP
OP
F

Flame Hawkfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas on Kobe or tomini tangs in a 55gallon. I have been wanting to ask are there any other tangs for a 55 gallon.
Also any info about any tang you recommend would be a great help

Thanks

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly Flame Hawkfish like I stated before that is to small of a tank for any tang even a Kole or the Bristle Tooth Tang and those are among the smaller tangs. The problem is in the wild tangs swim in one direction for a really long time so a tank that size regardless of the amount of rocks you have from the to swim in and out of doesn't matter. It's more a lot the length of a tank. So honestly I wouldn't get one unless your planning on upgrading to a 90 gallon or larger. If that is the case that your planing on upgrading within the year then it doesn't matter. Heck you could get a clown tang or a naso tang (those tang's only if your planning on going larger then 125). So that's my opinion

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I had my tomini in a 55 for about 8 months. I dont really recommend them being in one.. Now that I've moved mine over to the 180 I upgraded to he is much happier. I would honestly hold off. But at the same time you may be saving one and its not all that bad seeing that the fire department down the block has a hippo tang in their 55...

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly Flame Hawkfish like I stated before that is to small of a tank for any tang even a Kole or the Bristle Tooth Tang and those are among the smaller tangs. The problem is in the wild tangs swim in one direction for a really long time so a tank that size regardless of the amount of rocks you have from the to swim in and out of doesn't matter. It's more a lot the length of a tank. So honestly I wouldn't get one unless your planning on upgrading to a 90 gallon or larger. If that is the case that your planing on upgrading within the year then it doesn't matter. Heck you could get a clown tang or a naso tang (those tang's only if your planning on going larger then 125). So that's my opinion

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

55 has the same length as a 90..... If you are going on the fact that they swim one direction a really long time none of those are suitable tanks. I highly doubt anyone has their rock work set up in a 90 so they can swim diagonally and use that extra couple of inches

Last edited:

thormx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I had my tomini in a 55 for about 8 months. I dont really recommend them being in one.. Now that I've moved mine over to the 180 I upgraded to he is much happier. I would honestly hold off. But at the same time you may be saving one and its not all that bad seeing that the fire department down the block has a hippo tang in their 55...

When you say he's happier, how has his behavior changed? Just curious thanks

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swine they are close in length depending on which brand you have but overall swimming swimming length for a fish which will swim bottom left to top right etc. it makes a huge difference when you go from a 55 to a 90

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swine they are close in length depending on which brand you have but overall swimming swimming length for a fish which will swim bottom left to top right etc. it makes a huge difference when you go from a 55 to a 90

brand doesn't matter, Standard tank sizes they are exactly the same. Unless you get a cube. I don't think I have ever seen a tank where a fish could swim the entire diagonal of the tank (still only a couple inches difference), like I mentioned before because of the rock scape. This is just going off of your tangs swimming in straight lines theory and how you excluded swimming in and out of rocks. Don't get me wrong, The more swimming space the better, sure. But any fish is going to be "happier" with any increase in size that gets it closer to that of the ocean.. haha.

Geschke2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not my tangs. I have logged more then 500 hours driving of off all kinds of reefs including Hawaii Figi and of course the Great Barrier Reef and seeing how all tangs are by and far my favorite type of fish I keep a closer eye on them. So yes if we consider all those tangs and of course the ones that the brilliant Julian Sprung has noticed and written about the notation that tangs do in fact swing across the reef more times and not and that is why his personal beliefs as well as my own are that of a tank with more sq cubic feet in them are better for a tang. So he recommends tanks at least 70-90 gallons for juvenile and the smaller tangs ex ( bristle tooth and Kole). So your are 100% it's just what I noticed in the wild and of course in my reef but I also take in account what Mr. Sprung has said on the subject and he has probably forgotten more about tangs then I will ever know. So that's just my opinion again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back