Lanthanum Chloride vs Cerium Chloride (My Fish Are Dying)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was more than happy to help. He said its mostly Lanthanum Sulfate. He did caution me and said they do not manufacturer the ingredients themselves so they cannot guarantee the existence of other elements related to the manufacturing process itself. He knew for sure there were measurable amounts of zinc in the products.

Sounds like the customer support person does not know the product.

Did they send you the MSDS?

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the customer support person does not know the product.

Did they send you the MSDS?
No but I did tell him that the link on their website did not have it anymore and ask him if he could update that. That was the only product on the download page that was missing the SDS link. He said he would get it looked into.

It's certainly possible he is wrong. But he didn't seem to sound unsure of himself but who knows. I do know that the phosphate 4000 product has the SDS listed and it says the ingredients are "Lanthanum salt derivatives". That could be a few things including Lanthanum sulfate Regardless, would it matter? Both would be a good source of Lanthanum when mixed in water and dosed. As long as it's not cerium.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have switched to Calcium Carbonate powder. It works well for me and has no risk other then decreasing phosphates to quickly.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium carbonate powder lowering phosphate to quickly? Can you please provide more info?
I'm assuming the phosphate would bind to the calcium carbonate powder which would then be filtered out mechanically or by skimmer.

I know Coral Snow make that claim but I've never actually tried it.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the phosphate would bind to the calcium carbonate powder which would then be filtered out mechanically or by skimmer.

No they don’t. They say Coral Snow Plus will remove phosphate. It is different product than classic Coral Snow. Probably Plus version has lantanium chloride in it to be able to reduce 8 mg po4 per 1 ml dosed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don’t. They say Coral Snow Plus will remove phosphate. It is different product than classic Coral Snow. Probably Plus version has lantanium chloride in it to be able to reduce 8 mg po4 per 1 ml dosed.

I believe some of our experimental types in this forum tested it, and IIRC, the effect of phosphate binding to calcium carbonate powder was fairly low.

Maybe some of them can chime in or someone remembers a link to the discussion.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calcium Carbonate is used as a phosphate binder in human patients with renal failure, in a similar way to Lanthanum Chloride.

I don't know if it has a similar effect in seawater or if something else is in the Plus version of coral snow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Carbonate is used as a phosphate binder in human patients with renal failure, in a similar way to Lanthanum Chloride.

I don't know if it has a similar effect in seawater or if something else is in the Plus version of coral snow.

That's entirely different.

Calcium carbonate is a poor choice in this context, and most physicians choosing calcium (instead of my drugs, sevelamer carbonate and sevelamer hydrochloride) use readily soluble and seemingly more effective calcium acetate.

But regardless, calcium carbonate dissolves to free calcium in the acid of the stomach, and then one precipitates calcium phosphate in the small intestine where pH rises and phosphate becomes available via digestion of organics.

It is not binding of phosphate to the surface of calcium carbonate particulates.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium carbonate powder lowering phosphate to quickly? Can you please provide more info?
Reef snow concept. In my experience, it can remove phosphates if you use enough, and regularly.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skimmer and sock. It works for me.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's entirely different.

Calcium carbonate is a poor choice in this context, and most physicians choosing calcium (instead of my drugs, sevelamer carbonate and sevelamer hydrochloride) use readily soluble and seemingly more effective calcium acetate.

But regardless, calcium carbonate dissolves to free calcium in the acid of the stomach, and then one precipitates calcium phosphate in the small intestine where pH rises and phosphate becomes available via digestion of organics.

It is not binding of phosphate to the surface of calcium carbonate particulates.
Thanks for the explanation. You can tell I'm not an MD and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing :)

I was relying on information gleaned from article below and was pondering if it would be useful in the context of reef keeping, however you mention others have tried the experiment with limited success so perhaps I'll skip it.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a sand bottom.
Cheers. I’ve been playing with sand and it’s great at filtering tiny particles, unless it’s fluidised in which case it’s rubbish :)
I’ve added calcium carbonate fines from unrinsed sand additions and a sock (preferably dirty) certainly speeds things up. I’m a little dubious about lanthanum being caught with a 10 micron sock however. Now, Lanthanum phosphate running through a static bed, that appears to be very effective.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powdered calcium carbonate is in the common form of aragonite or calcite both not providing enough surface. But vaterite is very porous and nanoparticles of it are know to be very efficient in phosphate reduction in freshwater. The problem is vaterite is not that stabile but still there are not that complicated methods for producing nanoparticles of it:

Who knows one day we can have Coral Snow made of vaterite nanoparticles

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powdered calcium carbonate is in the common form of aragonite or calcite both not providing enough surface. But vaterite is very porous and nanoparticles of it are know to be very efficient in phosphate reduction in freshwater. The problem is vaterite is not that stabile but still there are not that complicated methods for producing nanoparticles of it:

Who knows one day we can have Coral Snow made of vaterite nanoparticles
Powdered CaCO3 has enough surface area to be affective.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back