Lanthium dosing killed my zebra bar gobies

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of an FYI than anything else in case anyone is thinking of dosing phosphates-E or equivalent. Phosphates had been creeping up after killing off my algae for a month so decided to drip some Phosphate-E over a few days to bring it down.

After the first day all my zebra dart gobies went into hiding, and after day 3 3/5 had died. Stopped dosing but the last two still haven’t shown themselves yet.

Switching to GFO now, not sure how to get the remaining phosphate-E out. Hoping my last two recover.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I dose phosphate rx with seemingly no issues

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more info would be good, I'm curious to know what your starting phos was, and amount/duration of LC drip. Did you dose it into a sock, or into the skimmer neck?
This is more of an FYI than anything else in case anyone is thinking of dosing phosphates-E or equivalent. Phosphates had been creeping up after killing off my algae for a month so decided to drip some Phosphate-E over a few days to bring it down.

After the first day all my zebra dart gobies went into hiding, and after day 3 3/5 had died. Stopped dosing but the last two still haven’t shown themselves yet.

Switching to GFO now, not sure how to get the remaining phosphate-E out. Hoping my last two recover.

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic Marin reduce phosphate rapid and never had a problem with it.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my other fish are completely fine. It seems they were especially sensitive to it. Wrasses, foxface, clowns, mandarins, and royal gramma are completely unphased.

I have a 130 gallon tank, phosphates we’re at 0.5ppm. I dosed 5 ml over about 20 minutes into my filter floss.

After 3 days of dosing my phosphates are still at 0.5ppm so I didn’t even make a dent desorbing my rocks and sand I guess.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely convinced the phos-E dosing killed your fish if you only did 5mL in 130 gallons. As of right now, I've done 2mL daily for about a month now in my 45gal with no casualties. I also have another system I am currently dosing 10mL daily and its 125 gallons, been dosing for 2 weeks now, no casualties. I do not have any Zebra Bars but I do have a Yasha Goby and Diamond Goby.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish problems are infrequent with lanthanum dosing, but common enough that folks should weigh the risks when considering it.

We don't really know why it sometimes happens and most often does not.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back