Large Breed Dogs Anyone?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def something you have to consider when they are taller than counter lol.
Moose took a loaf of garlic bread fresh out of oven one night. Didnt eat it just ran around the yard with it like a trophy lol. Crazy thing is he won't eat a treat if you pour the box in his food bowl. He will wait until you say its ok but prefers if you give them to him.
Lol! I think if I were really hungry I might still eat that trophy loaf once released from the offending pups jaws ;)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of chews is everyone giving to their large breeds? My Dobi chews through pretty much anything within 15 minutes. A lot of the stuff isn't safe.....alot of it is super expensive.....a lot really smells when they start chewing lol. Is there a new go to?

RocksNStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 newfoundlands myself. One pushing 150, the other just a mere 110. Then of course we have the wife's "lap" dog, a 35 pound pug/pomeranian mix

I've always owned large breed dogs, even when I was a kid. To me anything under 60 pounds is a cat. lol

If they all weren't in bed upside down with the wife, I could post a pic.

For slobbering and food, look up the neater feeder. Best investment for a water bowl I've ever made.

This is from when she(Abbie May Lynn Webb) was still a 1 year old pup, roughly 90 pounds here.

20200109_204304.jpg
I have a landseer Newfie too. She's 4 and weighs about 120. Best dogs!

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_164433.jpg
    IMG_20210220_164433.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of chews is everyone giving to their large breeds? My Dobi chews through pretty much anything within 15 minutes. A lot of the stuff isn't safe.....alot of it is super expensive.....a lot really smells when they start chewing lol. Is there a new go to?
Lol Moose has his old teddy thats usually soaked with slobber and disgusting. Wife has sewn it back together probably a dozen times now.
We try to find heavy duty chewable rubber balls. As big as soccer ball if possible haha. Otherwise knotted rope keeps him busy and only the ends fray.
Far as treats he goes through a big box of milk bone treats a week. Only gets 2 cups of food at breakfast and dinner so we keep him pretty trim as it is. He does get most left overs when wife isn't looking.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Moose has his old teddy thats usually soaked with slobber and disgusting. Wife has sewn it back together probably a dozen times now.
We try to find heavy duty chewable rubber balls. As big as soccer ball if possible haha. Otherwise knotted rope keeps him busy and only the ends fray.
Far as treats he goes through a big box of milk bone treats a week. Only gets 2 cups of food at breakfast and dinner so we keep him pretty trim as it is. He does get most left overs when wife isn't looking.
Yeah ours shreds (and eats unfortunately ) those ropes pretty quick. It is hard to find stuff that is safe but lasts. Which brings me to another point....how can they sell chews for dogs, then write on the package that the toy is not to be ingested, and is dangerous lol?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think best in show is beyond hilarious its renewed my crush on Parker Posey

The reason I've barely discovered a 25 year old movie is because in my twenties I'd have never thought that was funny now I think it's 10/10. I've only known about it for two months i routinely watch it lol

Remember the dog toy shopping scene lol hilarious

This right here is funny even as a still. Look how much skin you can grab off that dog's head, my chihuahua can't do that

20210528_080143.jpg

Last edited:

Manos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal to cut the ears, tail etc to the animals over there? Cause in Europe its illegal and the doctor who does it, if he will be known looses his license to practice the profession....

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it legal to cut the ears, tail etc to the animals over there? Cause in Europe its illegal and the doctor who does it, if he will be known looses his license to practice the profession....
Its legal where I'm at. People do alot of cutting on dogs ears and tails.
Moose had the longest Dumbo ears i ever seen as a puppy. Def couldn't picture him without them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chews .
I go to the butcher and buy what they call “ dog bones )
They are large raw bones .
cali gets one every so often , takes it in the yard and chews on it for days until it’s empty and clean .

that’s when it becomes a toy to throw around

they are good for them to chew on with many advantages

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For chews .
I go to the butcher and buy what they call “ dog bones )
They are large raw bones .
cali gets one every so often , takes it in the yard and chews on it for days until it’s empty and clean .

that’s when it becomes a toy to throw around

they are good for them to chew on with many advantages
Do they smell and make a mess? We tried antlers and some other similar chews to bones but she eats them all pretty quick as well.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they smell and make a mess? We tried antlers and some other similar chews to bones but she eats them all pretty quick as well.
They are just raw beef bones ....
not stinky pet store smoked bones .

I don’t give them to her in the house .
let her chew them outside until they’re clean and dry

I’d imagine they wouldn’t stink ? But smell like raw bones ?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back