Latest Triton Results and where to go from here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my latest Triton test results, sample sent in on 6/8/15 and received today, 6/19/15 (wish the turn around was quicker) and I am SUPER happy about the results. All of my hard work is finally paying off. I am still having some base recession on some SPS frags that I put in the tank over the last 8 weeks but some are doing well and in general most are holding steady. I have a couple pieces that have survived and are encrusting very nicely. I only have a few tester SPS frags in the tank at this point. Everything looks better overall and the health of my corals in general has improved. The numbers confirm this. The Tin reading is down to 11.19. This is still in the red zone on the Triton test but compared to 89 from a few months ago this is phenomenal. I am going to keep at it with water changes for another month or so and do another test. Maybe I will eventually get it down further
ODhyWad.png
. Aluminum came down a bit as well, not quite as much but its going in the right direction.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Im glad to hear it sounds like the road is about to become less bumpy hopefully.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Im glad to hear it sounds like the road is about to become less bumpy hopefully.
Thanks George, it's been a crazy 20 months. A lot lost but I saved a lot too. My large colonies all perished but I saved most of them via small frags. RR Pink floyd, Paletta blue stag, and Mother of Pearl were my only large colony total losses. Time to rebuild, aka grow out, the acro collection.

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This latest test sounds very encouraging, Alicia. This seems like it has been forever that you have been languishing in uncertainty. It truly sounds like a clear path is ahead. I remember seeing your tank right before this happened. Although you already had a few issues with this problem, it hadn't taken it's real toll yet. Your tank was awesome then and awesome years ago. I would bet the bank it will be awesome again.

Good luck. Can't wait to get back up to see you.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news Alicia. So you would say the tropic marin salt helped you immensely.

I think removing, completely cleaning the sump, scrubbing/chipping off all loose rust on the underside of the stand, and covering my sump were paramount. The switch to Tropic Marin has certainly improved some other numbers that were related to the ESV salt I was using. So truly that combo, patience, and some massive water changes in the last few months has been the answer.

This latest test sounds very encouraging, Alicia. This seems like it has been forever that you have been languishing in uncertainty. It truly sounds like a clear path is ahead. I remember seeing your tank right before this happened. Although you already had a few issues with this problem, it hadn't taken it's real toll yet. Your tank was awesome then and awesome years ago. I would bet the bank it will be awesome again.

Good luck. Can't wait to get back up to see you.

So sweet, thanks a ton. Yep, it has been so rough. I really feel like I am on the right side of things finally and the corals are showing the truth of that. I have a horrible bubble algae outbreak and aptasia problem but I can deal with that via worker fish. Otherwise it's all looking up. I look forward to a visit.....both ways, I'd love to get out your way. I've got some time off coming up in July. Are you up for a visit?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize I'm very late to this party. Have you done the Triton Detox??? It works quite well to remove those heavy metals. I used it twice and never had any issues with other parzmeters, only the heavy metals gone.

I had similar issues with acros and lps and it took a long time to figure it out. The metals I had were copper and very high zinc. The way it was entering my system was from slacking on changing RO filters, combined with daily feedings of live black worms. The worms were not the problem, the problem was that I was using tap water to keep the worms in and overtime from evaporation, those metals were building up in the worm water which was then going into my tank.

Either way, the problem was fixed with triton detox. Basically you turn off your carbon and skimmer for a couple days, let the detox work, then turn those on to remove the metals and the detox.

Good luck with your tank. Also, after removing the metals it took a month or two for things to get better and begin growing again.

Interesting.

I have never heard of that.

Are you supposed to use Detox on a Regular Basis or only when Corals look Stressed?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only update I have is that most of the sps tester frags/mini colonies I put in the system are showing the same old base up recession after being in the system for a month. It is very slow and a few frags are still fine. All frags/mini colonies have great polyp extension and look healthy except for the white creep up the bases. I did two very large water changes using new salt, Tropic Marin Pro Reef, one on Saturday and one on Tuesday, 55g and 45g respectively. I immediately noticed a film of brown algae on my sand bed. I had a little bit along with some green cyano prior but it was only about 20% of sand bed. within 24 hours of using the TM Pro-Reef salt it was everywhere. Hopefully that will settle out in time. I am sending in a water sample today and then one in one month. I am completely gutting my sump and cleaning it outside of the stand. If there is rusty pieces in the sump still it may be the culprit. I am having a cover made for the sump so the rusty stand cannot get in there so easily. In one month I will re-test the water and HOPE the tin and aluminum is either the same or even less than today's water sample. Then I will go from there.

Did you ever send in a test for Newly Made Tropic Marin Pro saltwater and not your tank water?

If so I would Love to see the Results.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever send in a test for Newly Made Tropic Marin Pro saltwater and not your tank water?

If so I would Love to see the Results.

Thus far only 2 tank water tests since the switch to Tropic Marin Pro. My plan is to send in another tank sample and make-up water sample once Triton is back to testing. I believe Triton will be not doing testing in July or something like that. Once they are back at it I will send in the 2 samples. Don't worry I haven't forgotten :). I just needed to get a batch of Triton tests to do it.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tin number down at 11, per June Triton test that I posted above, I have done a number of other large water changes and things are looking really good. I have about 20 SPS frags in the system now with 18 showing base encrusting, great polyp extension, and good coloring up. I think we are close to solid at this point!!! I have about 20 more pieces to get back into the main display but I am going slow. I plan to send in one more test sample in early August when Triton is back to doing water testing. They are off for the month of July. I suspect the Tin will be negligible by then. I plan to add a few SPS frags every two weeks or so and monitor them all closely but as it stands now We are GOLDEN!!!!
What an insanely long 20 months of destruction and frustration. I lost a lot of gorgeous pieces but I also managed to save a lot of frags from my colonies by using my nano reef and garage emergency tank when I knew things were going to die anyways...I figured it couldn't hurt to move them and many were saved that way.

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sweet, thanks a ton. Yep, it has been so rough. I really feel like I am on the right side of things finally and the corals are showing the truth of that. I have a horrible bubble algae outbreak and aptasia problem but I can deal with that via worker fish. Otherwise it's all looking up. I look forward to a visit.....both ways, I'd love to get out your way. I've got some time off coming up in July. Are you up for a visit?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I would love a visit, as well...either way. Great news about your tank. Hope the next test showed continued improvement!

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize there is no way to remove tin. That really sucks. Sorry to hear the troubles. I lost many nice acro colonies myself, it is heart breaking especially after putting in the year plus it takes to grow a nice colony only to watch it disappear in days or over night.

Hey guys. There is a product that is being claimed to remove tin. It is Panta Lith, made by Panta Rhei. The only problem is that to my knowledge it isn't being sold in the US yet. The Triton guys in the UK are using it with good results to remove heavy metals.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. There is a product that is being claimed to remove tin. It is Panta Lith, made by Panta Rhei. The only problem is that to my knowledge it isn't being sold in the US yet. The Triton guys in the UK are using it with good results to remove heavy metals.

Wow, Great!!! Hopefully we will see it here soon.

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Its been a year since this original post. I am still battling the tin levels in my tank but at a low level. I was able to get the Tin down to, at its lowest level 7, per Triton test. My most recent Triton test, 7/16/16 it was back up around 11. It is so weird. The sump is covered. I know the rust is still falling in spots outside of the sump but its not getting in the sump. My guess is that there continues to be low level leaching of the Tin, maybe out of the rocks. I have a few pieces that seems to show some base recession and random dead spots in branches but, for 95% of my SPS they are growing, have beautiful color and are happily existing in the tank. I continue to work at decreasing the Tin levels with large water changes at times and occasionally a water change using Triton Pure salt. I have not tried the Triton Detox since last year and figure it can't hurt to try it again to see if it helps the overall system from any other heavy metal buildup. Panta Lith, mentioned above in the thread, is now in the USA. I have ordered a bottle and will be giving it a whirl as soon as I get it in. I plan to do a Triton test prior to its use and one after its use. We shall see what comes of that product and the Tin issue. It seems that I do get a drop after those big water changes, down in the 7-8 range but then it creeps back up to the 10-11 range. The battle continues but the SPS collection is doing well.

silverarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Its been a year since this original post. I am still battling the tin levels in my tank but at a low level. I was able to get the Tin down to, at its lowest level 7, per Triton test. My most recent Triton test, 7/16/16 it was back up around 11. It is so weird. The sump is covered. I know the rust is still falling in spots outside of the sump but its not getting in the sump. My guess is that there continues to be low level leaching of the Tin, maybe out of the rocks. I have a few pieces that seems to show some base recession and random dead spots in branches but, for 95% of my SPS they are growing, have beautiful color and are happily existing in the tank. I continue to work at decreasing the Tin levels with large water changes at times and occasionally a water change using Triton Pure salt. I have not tried the Triton Detox since last year and figure it can't hurt to try it again to see if it helps the overall system from any other heavy metal buildup. Panta Lith, mentioned above in the thread, is now in the USA. I have ordered a bottle and will be giving it a whirl as soon as I get it in. I plan to do a Triton test prior to its use and one after its use. We shall see what comes of that product and the Tin issue. It seems that I do get a drop after those big water changes, down in the 7-8 range but then it creeps back up to the 10-11 range. The battle continues but the SPS collection is doing well.

Slojmn - I was curious if you had used the Panta Lith for your tin issue? I've had issues with tin for sometime now. It was manageable with water changes but the levels seem to be creeping up lately according to my latest triton results. I noticed a couple of my sps receding at the base. Thanks

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I've not been sending many triton test anymore. I feel the majority of these elements come from feeding but who knows. I run triton detox about every 4 months now just to be safe. If i don't do it, some recession from one coral or another is enough to remind me. Then all is well again.

Fwiw i feel that pe mysis is the biggest supply of unwanted metals which sucks because it is a great food and the fish go crazy for it. I can't prove that it's just a gut feeling. I've speed using it and began using hikari mysis and the jumbo mysis which both seem a lot cleaner. Fish don't like them quite as much but it's that or nothing so they come around.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back