Lava-Bright Orange SPS ID

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody guess what this might be?

I was given the name "Jason Fox Starlight Caprista," (I even asked for the spelling), but I can't find any coral called "Caprista" and nothing on Jason Fox's website matches. Outer Space Psammacora comes closest.

The skeletal structure reminds me of a Petoskey stone and the color is a lava-bright orange against a dark purplish background. The orange is lava-bright under both daylight and actinic, and a large colony would easily catch your eye across the room. The skeleton appears to be extraordinarily THIN--it almost looks like it was painted on the plug, or alternately that it has eaten into the plug.

Is this possibly a Cyphastrea? I have one other Cyphastrea and the skeletal structure does not look the same to my semi-trained eye (I'm much better with plant leaves). Doesn't look like the Psammacoras I've seen either. Any ideas?

TL;DR: It doesn't match any of the common encrusting SPS I'm familiar with; what is it?

IMG_20240505_180813.jpg

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong color. My lousy cellphone image doesn't show the color correctly, but the polyps are ORANGE, like it says in the subject.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a clearer photo? Corallite structure looks to be thamnasteroid, so something like Leptoseris, Pavona, Lithophyllon, Cycloseris (wellsi/explanulata), etc.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back