Lava rock

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about it too. I ended up getting live rock and busting up with a hammer. I just did not trust the lava rock being clean enough.

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe. I have used it in place of bio balls when I first got in the hobby. I got rid of it for the same people get rid of bio balls. It was a nitrate sink. I would use it as base rock again if I needed to.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never use any rock harvested from land.

OP
OP
Shaun Sweeney

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe. I have used it in place of bio balls when I first got in the hobby. I got rid of it for the same people get rid of bio balls. It was a nitrate sink. I would use it as base rock again if I needed to.
The nitrate sink idea still confuses me. Why wouldn't the lava rock - in a high flow area - act as a fluidized filter? If it did, wouldn't that result in a build up of good bacteria that reduced nitrates?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate sink idea still confuses me. Why wouldn't the lava rock - in a high flow area - act as a fluidized filter? If it did, wouldn't that result in a build up of good bacteria that reduced nitrates?

The bacteria that consume nitrates are anaerobic meaning that they live in environments without oxygen. Lava rock in a high flow area will create an environment that is good for nitrafiying bacteria that utilize oxygen and produce nitrates as a byproduct. As there is an imbalance between aerobic an anaerobic bacteria a nitrate sink will be created. In a way the first part of biological filtration becomes too efficient and nitrates build up rapidly because there is not an environment that can sustain enough anaerobic bacteria to consume the nitrates being produced by aerobic bacteria. I battled high nitrates for years before I understood that the biological filters that I had in place for my aquariums were actually causing more harm than good. I eventually made a filter to specifically handle nitrates which ultimately eliminated the issue of high nitrates. Filter socks can also become a nitrate sink if they are not cleaned often.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back