led diy light

Amphibious

Oldest Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFO has already done that. Here's their ad for the new Galileo series LED light.

galileo_3d.jpg

PFO had one at MACNA last month. Very basic but still pretty cool, no pun intended.

I believe the LEDs you are looking at from HD are not going to be bright enough, nor the right color temp to grow corals. Just my opinion.

Dick

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well actualy in my reasearch I found that most all of the white ledbulbs are in the nominal 6500k color temp or even higher closer to the 10000k color temp and actualy have more blue wavelength than most people think

only thing they dont have is the actinic coloring to realy make the color grow

as for brigtness if you use enough of the cheap bulbs you can get the same effect as those highoutput bulbs and that is what this hole experament is about

I am not trying to keep sps or the highlight demanding corals under these as I dont think they will come up to par but for normal light corals and low light corals I think they should be able to work just fine

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's why i'm going to be using like 200 of the cheap leds it should be bright enough to keep zoanthids and LPS. Better than spending $1000+

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I went to hd and picked up a string of the white icicle led lights and I am going to do a preelim test on them once I get home as I am at my parents right now but side by side the leds are much brighter than the standard christmas lights not to mention they are much more energy efficient

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't make it to HD today had to work the whole day. Going to get them tomorrow. I'm glad they are brighter.

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well did a medium scale test with about 35 of the led bulbs I had them in about a 2x5" rectangle and put them over my 75g fw tank and down to about 10" it had good light but beyond that it just didn't have any penetration

my bigest problem is lack of penitration of the good light

now this would make a great moon light but as for a actual tank light I just dont feel it would be brightenough for anything more than a frag tank due to how quickly the light diminishes

this was a test without any kind of reflector you may have a different result with a reflector I will take pics of this test so you can see it

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....how did it turn out???? Pix??? C'mon hyper and get it figured so I can know how to get it working!!! He He.. Did you find your coral?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 67 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 61 27.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back