led diy light

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i'm going to go hunt for some chrismtas lights and try it too. Oh for reflectors i was thinking of buying a sheet of aluminum sheetmetal and polishing it out to a mirror.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i was at walmart today and they have the 100 led christmas lights for $2 and the 50 led lights for $1.88. So i bought a white and a blue to experiment with. Here are some pics. It lights up the tank pretty good but i don't know if it's good enough to keep any high light corals. I have never used anything besides Metal Halides so don't know what other lights are like. But i'm going to frag a couple of my zoo's and put them in the frag tank and see how it does.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now it's just on a piece of cardboard. I'm going to make the canopy with an aluminum sheetmetal and wooden boards.
118om6s.jpg

Blue Lights 100 of them
15ob6eo.jpg

White Lights 50 of them
6dsps1.jpg

Whites and Blues on
oqhq4o.jpg

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i'm finished with the real thing i'm going to use 200 blues and 100 whites. Not bad for only $6 of leds.

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be perfect for moonlights. I actually did a diy with some led from some cheap auto parts flashlight.

271601945.jpg

Then painted them blue to see how they would look.
271787347.jpg

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Moonlights in my main display. The led setup in the pics above is a lot brighter. Too bright for moonlights.

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh when I said pefect for moonlights I was reffering to the blue christmas lights

The christmas leds (Blue) dont seem too bright. Ive seen some more powerful moonlights, or are you reffering to mines. I actually dont use them, it was just a test.

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actualy those lights you used dont look like the led lights but normal christmas lights

I would probly do strait white about 300 to 500 bulbs with a t5 actinic light on the side to suplement the actinic lighting the blue dosn't give the same glowing effect it is either that or get some blacklight bulbs to add into the mix

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh i knew there was something wrong. LOL Are the led lights different??? Back to walmart i go to hunt for leds

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I dont know if they are brighter or not but would like to find out

I know led can be brighter but depending on how it is difused all depens on how intense they are a normal led all the light comes out the tip of the bulb these seem to have the light difused differently so it comes out through the hole body

cool I would love to see the pics

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the lights was a little warm after it being on for awhile. It actually heated my tank up 2 degrees.

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yea you mentioned that my center bulb was dim you are right I think I am actualy over powering the leds a little with the transformer I have on them and may have caused it to burn out a little not shure

but I am actualy impressed on how bright the tank looks for your first test with the regular christmas light bulbs by the way what size tank is that just for referance and how deep

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool I apreciate it takes the guess work out of an experiement like this

I know that a company makes a led lights that is said to be a equivilant of a 250w metal halide but they want liek 4k for it

OP
OP
T

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea those are it personaly I dont see why we couldn't build a light similar without the dimming for far less money

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back