LED for seagrass planted tank?

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to replace a 250w Iwasaki 6500K before temps warm up. This is for a planted tank with seagrasses so lighting has to be intense. 18" cube basically.

I've read something about neutral whites being better for color than cool whites. I don't know if this applies to a planted tank though. Just like how blue light is supposed to have good PAR but still is probably not that useful for seagrass. If someone can recommend a combo with ratios of cool white to neutral white, etc, that would be great. Just keep in mind this is specific for plants not corals. I have a feeling trying to mimic natural sunlight is the primary concern and I don't know if LED's are up to the task yet. Also don't know if I should throw in some reds or not?

In terms of fixtures would the AI Sol White do the job?

Thanks!

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefervet

The AI white will do the job. I have not seen the PAR readings but it should be close.

As far as DIY I would go with the Cree XP-G. Generally the lots are a bit warmer than the XR-E and if you compare the spectrum it also has a nice 450 Nm spike like the Iwasaki. I used to use the 400 watt Iwasaki with a magnetic ballast way back in the day and my opinion of the XP-G is that its very close in looks to the Iwasaki...So much so I normally recommend the XR-E as they are a tad cooler in colour.

As far as Reds go, a lot of people who grow "tomatos" in their basements add a couple. For a reef I don't like the look unless its offset with a lot of Royal Blue.

Bill

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 119 43.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back