Lesson learned, success the second try( powder blue tang).

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 3-1/2 inch fish is always bold. I thought he was kind of stupid because he never paniced not even when I put my hand into the QT. I wonder if he would be quick enough for the much biggger yellow tang in the show tank. I used TTM 5 times on him and put him in a large DIY acclamition box "hanging at the top". Easy to feed but had disadvantages: seldom met eye to eye with other bigger fish, no where near rocks, etc, had no solid bottom, also much closer to the bright tank light. He ate OK but may not have felt comfortable in there? 3 days later he was covered with ich. That was about 40 days ago.

I removed him and put him through another 5 TTM. In the mean time I suspected that my DT's not ich free. I added UV's but the big one burnt out in 2 weeks, leaving a small 13W for my 250 gal. system. Meanwhile, **I discovered that my nitrate level was too high!**I promply cleaned all my mechanical filters, added a protein skimmer, and did 2 water changes. All my fish became more lively and have good appetite.

After 5 TT's he's ich free again. I "practically"( haha!) tested the water by changing his water with water from the DT, which by this time's good with low nitrate. After a week I placed him in the same DIY acclamation box again. But this time I did a modification: I cut out the center of the DIY box cover and placed a clear plastic sheet on top, then put on the remaining "frame" of the cover( see picture). I also cut out holes in the clear plastic so I could feed the fish with a long baster.

Now I could place the box right on the bottom next to a rock. I also had the PVC fittings in there that he's used to. I believe he felt more secure in this position. He's OK there for a week before I released him "together" with a sub-adult Emperor Angel. I released the just before the tank light went out and I did not move any rocks because I thought it might have confuse the bullies but it'd also confuse the new fish too. I saw them hovering on 1 side of the tank for at least half and hour but no other fish bothered them.

The next morning, as I expected, the yellow tang that's 2-3 time bigger than the PBT, started to harrass him. What I didn't expect was how quick the PBT was in avoiding attacks. Now I can see why they often become king of the tank becuse he's like a fighter jet that can make quick maneuvers. The yellow tang just could not touch him at all! Definitely not a stupid fish , haha! He also successfully fended off the Bi-color Angel and a much bigger Hippo Tang. Somehow he could sense the Hippo Tang's a softy and would not mind a skirmish with her.

I can call it a success since these 2 have been doing great in the DT for almost 2 weeks. The yellow tang has given up harrassing the PBT and would not dare to bother the Emperor, which has been quite bold but gentle.

To me the keys are: (1) Good water quality. (2) Get the new fish used to the show tank water.(3) Make the new fish comfortable by placing the acclamation box on the bottom next to a rock.
4) Introduce multiple fish at a time especially with a gentle giant in the mix. (5) Not sure but UV's may have helped. My conclusion is water qua
pbt box.jpg
empOK.jpg
holes.jpg
lity is number one!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my PBT he is my centerpiece fish.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my PBT as well, but unfortunately, it's time for him to be removed from my DT. When first introduced, he was a model citizen and was harrassed by my Achilles a little. The tables have turned and now the Achilles cannot even swim freely in the water column because the PBT is soo aggressive. He is even aggressive to a CBB. Beautiful fish, but I am at a point where he just has to be put in time out.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PBT seems to be good buds with my Yellow. Hes 2x bigger and never seen him get aggressive with it when the yellow tang tries to tailslap occasionally.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your methods for parasite treatment work but I suspect in 30-90 days you’ll be having more disease fun with these guys. Nice looking fish! :)

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my PBT as well, but unfortunately, it's time for him to be removed from my DT. When first introduced, he was a model citizen and was harrassed by my Achilles a little. The tables have turned and now the Achilles cannot even swim freely in the water column because the PBT is soo aggressive. He is even aggressive to a CBB. Beautiful fish, but I am at a point where he just has to be put in time out.

How big is your DT and how many other tangs and angels you have( to distribute the aggression)? I am hoping my 180 gal. DT is big enough. I'm also hoping the Emperor Angel will keep him in check. The Emperor has successfully made the Yellow Tang more humble although they have never faced off at all. Right now the Emperor only briefly chases the Flame Angel, the Bi-color Angel, and the Powder Blue.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your DT and how many other tangs and angels you have( to distribute the aggression)? I am hoping my 180 gal. DT is big enough. I'm also hoping the Emperor Angel will keep him in check. The Emperor has successfully made the Yellow Tang more humble although they have never faced off at all. Right now the Emperor only briefly chases the Flame Angel, the Bi-color Angel, and the Powder Blue.

I have a 240 gal. Have a total of 6 tangs (Yellow, Powder Blue, Sailfin, Achilles, Blue, Naso). All fish are different too, so all depends on its personality.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your methods for parasite treatment work but I suspect in 30-90 days you’ll be having more disease fun with these guys. Nice looking fish! :)

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

No problems whatsoever at present. They have all been active, have great appetite, and color. Even the Hippo Tang that used to hide sometimes now seldom does. It's obvious that it helps to have several bold fish like my puffer and Emperor Angel, who linger at the front glass, to bring out the shy fish.

But for them to have great appetite, color, and resistance to diseases, I swear by " maintaining good water quality".

I also believe veggies provide antioxidents to fight diseases so I feed Yu Choy( a Chinese veggie) leaves daily. My tangs, puffer, and angels really go after it especially the Emperor Angel who would come to my face when I'm clipping it on. He eats "a lot" of it. One funny and odd side note: the Hippo Tang and Yellow Tang would actively go after the Emperor's pop before it drops off. Prob because he eats so much veggie. Has anyone seen that before?

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed him and put him through another 5 TTM. In the mean time I suspected that my DT's not ich free. I added UV's but the big one burnt out in 2 weeks, leaving a small 13W for my 250 gal. system. Meanwhile, **I discovered that my nitrate level was too high!**I promply cleaned all my mechanical filters, added a protein skimmer, and did 2 water changes. All my fish became more lively and have good appetite.

4) Introduce multiple fish at a time especially with a gentle giant in the mix. (5) Not sure but UV's may have helped. My conclusion is water qua
pbt box.jpg
empOK.jpg
holes.jpg
lity is number one!

I have some what of the same problem. So you're saying that the UV you used eradicated ich in your DT? So only your PBT got ich in the DT, and your other tangs in the DT did not at the time you removed your PBT from the DT?

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some what of the same problem. So you're saying that the UV you used eradicated ich in your DT? So only your PBT got ich in the DT, and your other tangs in the DT did not at the time you removed your PBT from the DT?

OK I'm not sure if my system's ich free at anytime. It's just over a year old and the only 2 fish that ever got ich were the PBT and a Heni Butterfly. Both were new fish. The Heni was added directly after QT and got harrassed. The PBT was still in the acclamation box when it got ich. Luckily in both cases "none" of the existing 18 fish got infected after I removed theose 2( was very worried for a while).

Since I only had them in QT's( TTM) for 2 weeks( no observation period) it may have been too short? I have extended the period to 4 weeks now. The UV's may or may not have eradicated ich but I'm sure they have at least reduced their number greatly, thus reducing the chance of it infecting the fish. I can only say I've got ich "under control". No signs of ich for 3 months now.

I strongly believe, that good water quality is the key. Remember stressed fish( like the Heni Butterfly) will attract ich much easier. Bad water will stress fish for sure. My Hippo Tang was an excellent example. He was shy/ hid often, lighter in color, and was not a hearty eater when nitrate was high. Typical stressed fish, before I corrected the high nitrate he did not eat for almost 3 days. But since the water got much better he's been doing great and growing fast. The Emperor Angel jsut cruises everywhere like this is his native home. I'm confident that it'll be fine if I just follow the maintenance and feeding routines. Of course we need a good back-up plan for "power outages". You know what will happen if temp drops below 72 deg.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back