LETS see these DIY Auto Top Off containers

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people like these Fancy ATO storage "Containers" But lets see some DIY stuff.

-5-10g tanks
-Rubbermaid storage
-2 Liters
-Water Vats
-Diy acrylic/abs

What do you have and why do you like it?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 gallon, $23 from HD and easily drilled. White one on right. 5 days volume

e46fb97535085d722f6a00ab30a5d501.jpg

Sits under the bench my 125g sump will be on top of

For extended time away, a 33g brute trash can on wheels gets rolled into room. An additional 8 days volume

Either way, I can add RO to either from my main 55g container via an apex controlled solenoid, via the web

OP
OP
EW_Fish

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 gallon, $23 from HD and easily drilled. White one on right. 5 days volume

e46fb97535085d722f6a00ab30a5d501.jpg

Sits under the bench my 125g sump will be on top of

For extended time away, a 33g brute trash can on wheels gets rolled into room. An additional 8 days volume

Either way, I can add RO to either from my main 55g container via an apex controlled solenoid, via the web

That's awesome. What size tank? 22g in 5 days is a good bit

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO began it's life as a Soda Ash bucket from my pool, and a water jug. I could not fit my reservoir under the tank, so this ugly setup sat next to the stand.

ATO Resivior 1.jpg

This setup gave me about ten gallons of water, and a siphon point that was at the level of the water in the bucket. This siphon point was important, because if it was above the level of my sump, the water would have siphoned.

I eventually painted the bucket black, and the water jug on the top made water additions easy....just like an old fashion water cooler. What eventually happened is that the lid of the bucket ripped.

ATO Reservior Torn Lid.jpg

This was fixed by cutting a 1/2 plexiglass piece to fit the lid.

ATO Reservior Plexi Lid.jpg

ATO Reservior Plexi Installed.jpg

Next came a cabinet that was on four small caster wheels and could easily be pulled out to change the water jug.

ATO Reservior Cover Open.jpg

ATO Reservior Cover Closed.jpg

However, what this did was now hide the water jug and I wouldn't know when it needed to be replaced. So a horizontal float switch was installed in the side of the bucket.

ATO Reservior Horizontal Float Switch.jpg

ATO Reservior Float Switch Outside.jpg

This went through a relay to an LED that was installed in the face of my equipment cabinet...that green LED between the controllers.

ATO Reservior LED Warning Light.jpg

When the water level drops below the float switch, the LED comes on telling me it's time to add a new jug of water.

OP
OP
EW_Fish

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO began it's life as a Soda Ash bucket from my pool, and a water jug. I could not fit my reservoir under the tank, so this ugly setup sat next to the stand.

ATO Resivior 1.jpg

This setup gave me about ten gallons of water, and a siphon point that was at the level of the water in the bucket. This siphon point was important, because if it was above the level of my sump, the water would have siphoned.

I eventually painted the bucket black, and the water jug on the top made water additions easy....just like an old fashion water cooler. What eventually happened is that the lid of the bucket ripped.

ATO Reservior Torn Lid.jpg

This was fixed by cutting a 1/2 plexiglass piece to fit the lid.

ATO Reservior Plexi Lid.jpg

ATO Reservior Plexi Installed.jpg

Next came a cabinet that was on four small caster wheels and could easily be pulled out to change the water jug.

ATO Reservior Cover Open.jpg

ATO Reservior Cover Closed.jpg

However, what this did was now hide the water jug and I wouldn't know when it needed to be replaced. So a horizontal float switch was installed in the side of the bucket.

ATO Reservior Horizontal Float Switch.jpg

ATO Reservior Float Switch Outside.jpg

This went through a relay to an LED that was installed in the face of my equipment cabinet...that green LED between the controllers.

ATO Reservior LED Warning Light.jpg

When the water level drops below the float switch, the LED comes on telling me it's time to add a new jug of water.

Great detail and Idea. Love it!

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fanciest ATO container out there.

1076795-center-1.jpeg

I pushed my DIY skills to the limit by drilling a hole just big enough for the ATO tube. In all seriousness, my ATO and dosing reservoirs are hidden behind my Apex control panel, so there's no way I'd spend money on something nice that nobody (including myself) will ever see.

I went slightly fancier with my dosing containers, but only because they came with a low level float switch. Between splicing the float switches into my breakout box and using a DIY cable to trick my DOS into thinking a DDR is connected, I now have fluid monitoring and low level sensors in Fusion and saved $170 in the process.

210790-kamoer-biokh-dosing-liquid-a.jpg
210788-kamoer-biocalcium-dosing-liquid-a.jpg

OP
OP
EW_Fish

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the fanciest ATO container out there.

1076795-center-1.jpeg

I pushed my DIY skills to the limit by drilling a hole just big enough for the ATO tube. In all seriousness, my ATO and dosing reservoirs are hidden behind my Apex control panel, so there's no way I'd spend money on something nice that nobody (including myself) will ever see.

I went slightly fancier with my dosing containers, but only because they came with a low level float switch. Between splicing the float switches into my breakout box and using a DIY cable to trick my DOS into thinking a DDR is connected, I now have fluid monitoring and low level sensors in Fusion and saved $170 in the process.

210790-kamoer-biokh-dosing-liquid-a.jpg
210788-kamoer-biocalcium-dosing-liquid-a.jpg
I have always wondered why people spend so much in plumbing and ATO fancy fancy stuff. I see guys spend up to 150$ + on plumbing when I spent $20. Glad you broke out some DIY skills. I like a clean look but I also like Making my own stuff

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to highjack, but I was talking about this today on a small scale. 1 or 2 gallon with a small footprint.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dog food container for a 2 gallon... about 5.5" wide at the top holds well and is fully sealed minutes the hole I drilled

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a generic 32 gallon trash can, on a wheeled platform, sitting in my basement, generic AC pond pump from harbor freight, pumped into a food grade water hose, zip tied to a part of PVC going into my sump. Programmed the ATO off of 2 amazon float switches going into my Apex with safety shut offs and timers in case of overfill or the pump runs too long. Pics are in my build thread. Its cheap, works, and never failed me.

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
036F67C5-8CCC-42EE-A721-C61A234EC734.png
23G Slim brute can (right side of pic)
As it’s name says it’s slim and fit perfectly in my limited space and holds a lot of RODI water for my 180G+30G frag evaporation! Just drilled a float valve into the side to connect to my RODI system in the next room over when I’m low. I have a optical sensor in the bottom hooked to my Neptune Ststems ATK to set an alarm off when it’s low. So I never have to move the brute can to fill it! Then built a shelf over the top to conceal it!

Bfaxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20 gallon tank also. I keep it empty most the time and just fill it the day before I do a water change.

Still working on being more efficient, I don’t have space for anything I can’t hide in furniture

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back